• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AT-6 excluded from Light Attack Aircraft

Lawman

None
Thats the same FLIR they are replacing the Mast Mounted Sight on the Kiowa with.Originally it was on the ARH-70.

Works well enough since Im pretty sure the Marines put it on the new Cobra/Hueys.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe now the AF IPs will stop wearing that dumb ass AT-6 patch around Whiting...

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Wouldn't these be cheaper (and easier to maintain)?
A-1H_602SOS_Jun1970.jpg

As a huge Skyraider fan, (and currently working on a flying one for a museum), I can safely say thatI don't think there's enough R-3350 parts or guys who know how to work on them left in the country anymore to keep a small squadron of them flying:eek:)

Although, in the 1970's a turbine COIN version of the T-28 was being tested (YT-28) that was pretty badass. I think the prototype is still in a hangar in Camarillo, CA

I got a job offer to teach "some guys" tailwheel in FL using a Decathalon to transition to the AT-802U a few months back, so there must be some traction there. Good luck with almost 20 feet of nose out in front of that tailwheel:eek:)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
While I'm generally not a fan of one-off, niche solutions, why not buy/lease a squadron or two of turboprop aircraft for CAS? $10 million a pop. They're practically disposable. They'd easily be capable of supporting most of the CAS required in OEF nowadays, plus their low altitude capability would mitigate the collateral damage worries that dominate over there. Once we're ready to leave, we sign over the pink sheets to the Afghan National Air Force, and that gives them a good start. God knows those cats aren't ready for F-16s yet, but they could probably handle a few SuperTs.

Hell, while we're at it, we could probably ship them a bunch of stuff from preservation at D-M. Half of it will end up buried nose-first 5 feet into the sand, anyways, and it'd be fun to see a bunch of Huns, Voodoos, and Thuds get a second chance.

KBayDog

While I'm generally not a fan of one-off, niche solutions, why not buy/lease a squadron or two of turboprop aircraft for CAS? $10 million a pop. They're practically disposable. They'd easily be capable of supporting most of the CAS required in OEF nowadays, plus their low altitude capability would mitigate the collateral damage worries that dominate over there. Once we're ready to leave, we sign over the pink sheets to the Afghan National Air Force, and that gives them a good start. God knows those cats aren't ready for F-16s yet, but they could probably handle a few SuperTs.

Hell, while we're at it, we could probably ship them a bunch of stuff from preservation at D-M. Half of it will end up buried nose-first 5 feet into the sand, anyways, and it'd be fun to see a bunch of Huns, Voodoos, and Thuds get a second chance.

A common-sense, fiscally-responsible idea? C'mon, phrog - you know better than to think like that.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
While I'm generally not a fan of one-off, niche solutions, why not buy/lease a squadron or two of turboprop aircraft for -first 5 feet into the sand, anyways, and it'd be fun to see a bunch of Huns, Voodoos, and Thuds get a second chance.
While I'm generally not a fan of one-off, niche solutions, why not buy/lease a squadron or two of turboprop aircraft for CAS? $10 million a pop.

While I will agree that your idea has merit, there is significant baggage in leasing aircraft in the U.S. Gov't thanks to her...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darleen_Druyun

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Marksmanship---aim-with-your-good-eye---motivational-army-poster.jpg

As if our stacks aren't crazy enough over there...can you imagine some afghan dude checking in with the warden? How awesome...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I wonder if the regular media will pick up the press release published on "aviationpros.com." Of course each side is telling their version of the story, but turnabout is fairplay- since H-B is crying so loudly about the "Brazilian" airplane then they deserve to be called out on their Swiss airplane.