• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astronaut Selection

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This is advice that has been given over and over on this board and elsewhere to young guys like yourself with big goals in this business: worry now about the hurdles directly in front of you, not the hurdles that are 10/15/20 years down the road. It is good to keep your long term goals in mind but for you, step 1, the only step you should be worrying about at this point in your life, is getting into some sort of commissioning program (be it USNA or somewhere else). For some timeline perspective as a senior in high school this fall, you are a good 4 years from really worrying even about the pilot selection part of your goal. Probably 6 years from worrying about getting Hornets (or likely Super Hornet/JSF by then). About 10-11 years from worrying about applying to TPS and getting selected. You are also about a year away from college and starting some sort of first step towards commissioning. I'd worry about that first and leave the astronaut selection concerns for the new decade. There are just far too many unknowns and variables in the intervening years to do any semblance of planning ahead.

NCHopeful

If I've already got a B.A. degree that's in humanities and social sciences that required calculus and I'm trying to get a pilot slot now, am I pretty much SOL with regard to ever becoming an astronaut? I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to try and get a second bachelor's degree while in the Navy, though I'd be happy to try and kick the crap out of some CLEP/DANTES/AP Exams as I do pretty well on standardized tests.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Her having an engineering degree as well as having a vagina certainly didn't hurt her chances.

No disrespect, as I don't personally know her, more a comment on the "X factor" (or is it XX chromosome factor) of selection boards.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
So she's two for two? Flew two platforms and both have been retired????

Technically our Marine friends are still hanging on to her for a while. If only we had the sense to do that with the STS.

But go easy -- there's plenty of retired things around here and we still like them! ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No disrespect, as I don't personally know her, more a comment on the "X factor" (or is it XX chromosome factor) of selection boards.

A pretty big assumption, especially since she seems to have been very well qualified sex and father notwithstanding.