• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astronaut Possibilities?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I would just like to say congrats to two buds of mine, Major Randy Bresnik and Major Dan "The Crusher" Lathrop on their selection for astronaut. Crusher, I know you read this web site anonymously but Congrats! I'll see you when you move to Houston! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

Brodie143

Oh yeah, forgot, another note for you aspiring astronauts, PRK and LASIK are not allowed (LASIK isn't for military aviators either). 77 years old is ok but 35 with a well documented eye surgery approved for military jet use is not?! Their technology is 21st century, too bad their medical staff is stuck in the Sixties.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I thought Lasik was approved for NASA. I'll ask my neighbor, he's a NASA flight Doc. To be continued

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by airwinger
Actually there have been a number of Marine Corps astronauts, while not as many nor as prominent as Navy they are there. In the hallways at TBS there is a wall dedicated to them and if I remember correctly there may have been about 10 of them. Apart from John Glenn, there was also General Bolden, and

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/zamka.html
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/sturckow.html
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/cabana.html
among the more current astronauts.
semper fi,
airwinger

oohrah
Also, don't forget LtCol Hobaugh (piloted shuttle in 2001), Col Wilcutt (1996, 1998, 2000), and LtCol Noriega (1997, 2000)

Brodie143

Frumby, The Bupers website has that Lasiks and PRK are not approved. I know for the military, Lasik is not approved for flying. I had to go through the whole eye surgery process and they were explicit about Lasik not being approved, but PRK is approved so maybe NASA will approve as well. If you could ask you your neighbor, I am and quite a few others would appreciate. If you could let your neighbor know what Bupers is putting out maybe NASA can call and have them correct the error. Thanks Sir.

Student Naval Pilot
LTJG USNR

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I will ask in the next few days. He's currently up in Cleveland with the "Vomit Comet" doing zero g rides. No idea why they are in Cleveland doing rides but I will ask him when he gets back. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

Brodie143

Been through the Airport there a couple of times and the have a big NASA installation there. I don't remember what they do there, but I guess they do the "Vomit Comet" there. Thanks for asking.

Meridiani

According to the NASA site on astronaut physical requirements, history of PRK or other laser eye surgeries is disqualifying. I'm hoping that they'll reconsider that position in the future. Perhaps the results of the NAMI PRK study will help. NASA historically follows suit with the military.

The Wiz

Thanks Airwinger, I had no idea until you posted the sites, its good to see

"For He today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother" Henry V

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Brodie,
I go through Cleveland all the time and you are correct, the John Glenn center is at that location. I just don't know who they would be training up there since they have so much room in the warning areas right off the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I'll ask Sam when he gets back. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

jason12

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/Doc/aboutgrc.htm

that oughta help :)

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS,
AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

ElPensador

Naval Astronaut?

I was looking around on another site and noticed that there are so-called Astronaut positions for pilots and NFOs. Does anyone know what this program is, what's done in it, and how one would apply? Thanks in advance.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Pilots and NFO's can serve a tour in NASA provided they are a)recommended by the Navy, b) selected by NASA. However, they only pick the absolute cream of the crop for it, ie degrees in a "hard" science, Academy Grad, test pilot, Top Gun grad, A million flight hours (jet), etc. You have to basically be able to walk on water for the Navy to even consider giving you one of its couple of slots. I think NASA only picks <10 TOTAL Candidates every 2 years. So, um, yeah...Good Luck on that.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Its definitely extremely competitive, but not unattainable. If you want to do it, friggin work like hell for it. They give you the prerequisites, so you know what they are looking for. Get the degree in engineering or physics or something first before you even start the Navy/MarineCorps. Then later on you can get your Masters. Theres two things down! Theres plenty of info on this area on the net, so look around for it.