• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astigmatism Got Worse 1-Wk B4 P-Cola

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
I've been to OCS (PLC Jrs/Srs) and am going into my last semester of school before commissioning. My right eye has been on the line for the last 2-yrs for cylindrical correction (right @ 1.00). Finally got word that I will be going to P-cola for the full flight physical and my eye exam last week came back (1.25) outside of regs. The doc mentioned that I was so close it would matter more on the doc testing me than the test itself. Assuming the worst, and I do fail the test, is it too late for a waiver (contacts) or Lasek? How about switching to NFO? The word is that I won't report to TBS until Nov. 2006 @ earliest, so time might be on my side...

Dickwest83

I too am interested in the answer to this question. I have the same borderline astigmatism numbers as you. I was selected SNA, but I haven't been able to get a clear response on whether .25 out of standards is waiverable or if I will have to try to redesignate SNFO. Anybody got any insight??

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
RivrGuide said:
I've been to OCS (PLC Jrs/Srs) and am going into my last semester of school before commissioning. My right eye has been on the line for the last 2-yrs for cylindrical correction (right @ 1.00). Finally got word that I will be going to P-cola for the full flight physical and my eye exam last week came back (1.25) outside of regs. The doc mentioned that I was so close it would matter more on the doc testing me than the test itself. Assuming the worst, and I do fail the test, is it too late for a waiver (contacts) or Lasek? How about switching to NFO? The word is that I won't report to TBS until Nov. 2006 @ earliest, so time might be on my side...

Its never too late to get a waiver...just keep on your OSO to make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks...

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
Results

So NOMI was more relaxed than I had imagined. My astigmatic correction is actually -1.5, but they want you to pass the test, so if you can do so with -1.0 correction, they let you get through.

The test is something like 10 rows of 10 letters each, all close to eachother. with astigmatism it is hard to distinguish the differences of each letter in each row. in order to pass each eye, you need to get all of the letters across 1 row correct, but they will give you adequate chances if you mess up.

LCDR McGowan was there doing eye exams at the time.

Any other questions I can answer, please let me know.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
i doubt it is too late for PRK. My PRK took 2 1/2 months to heal completley, and they say give it 3. So if you started looking into it now, i bet you would be fine, granted they were able to give you another flight physical before 2006 november.

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
having passed the physical once, they told me just to stand by. My vision is only 20/30, so its not really an issue unless the astigmatism gets way worse.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I have the same 1.25 issue, is the test that they administer for the flight physical something that I could get done at a civilian opthomologist for a waiver?