• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Astb

blakaccl1

I just took the ASTB today and got a 7/6/7 and OAR 61. I studied for about 2 months straight since I forgot all that college Algebra i took so many years ago. I studied the ARCO and cliff notes prepe tests as well as the ASTB practice tests from this site. So much stress off my shoulders! If anyone hasn't take the test yet and need advice on what to study PM me. I took it today, 08/11/08 so it's all fresh in my mind. Any information I can give to help anyone will be my pleasure to do so. I still have my references and EPSQ to complete so i can't give advice on much of that. I will also sell my two books and all practice material for cheap if anyone wants it, i hope I can do this on the site without getting in trouble...not sure.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with the ASTB, even those who called me a "joke" and "ass clown" when I first joined and posted some stuff some of you didnt agree with...no sarcasm. It really made me study harder to prove you guys wrong and I did learn alot from it. :) I hope to join those of you that serve the Navy and whom grace this wonderful and helpful website very soon!

-UF National champs '09- Tebow for Heisman!

sadjsd05

Hey, I don't know how to PM, but if you have any specific ideas on what I should study, please send me an e-mail at sadjsd05@yahoo.com. I don't know when I'll take the test, but I don't exactly feel confident enough yet... Thanks in advance.

BullGator

Hey, I don't know how to PM, but if you have any specific ideas on what I should study, please send me an e-mail at sadjsd05@yahoo.com. I don't know when I'll take the test, but I don't exactly feel confident enough yet... Thanks in advance.

Sadjst: right click on the person's online-name and the PM (private message) should show up.

Blakaccl1: my e-mail is darren@ufl.edu if you prefer that. I sent you a PM.

Go Gators!
P.S. Have you seen a picture of Percy Harvin recently; He is HUGE. I can't wait to see this offense in action, and the D's improvement (hold 2nd safety position for now).

BullGator

What is the highest possible score on the ASTB?
OAR: 80 (highest I've heard of is 65...)
AQR, PFAR, FOFAR is 9 each (I have heard of people getting 9's)

A competitive score is ~55/ 6,6(+),6(+) for prospective pilots and NFOs in the Navy, from what I understand.

The minimums are 20/ 1,1,1. Therefore I believe that the average is 45(+)/ 4,4,4. Please comment if this is off. It also varies on when you take the exam.

blakaccl1

questions

ok i got alot of PM's so instead of pm everyone i will just write everything i remember here. First of all the test is not in the same format as in the Cliff notes prep test and ARCO test. I studied for a good 2 months because I dont like to take chances and every study guide would have different and new questions i'd encounter.

Math-30 ?'s 25 minutes
Reading 27?'s 25 minutes
mechanical 30 items 15 minutes
spatial apperception 25 ?'s I think 15 min
Aviatio/nautical 30 ?'s 15 min
aviation supplemental 34 ?'s 25 min

these questions are done one section at a time, not in the way as seen in the arco and cliff notes where you take 37 math/verbal in 35 min. all straight through, I wasnt expecting this but it was better since you get into the groove of things while doing the math and reading.

MATH- was not hard as the study materials. mostly simple stuff like (-2 to the negative 4th power which equals 1/16, -10 to the 2nd power multiplied by 10 to the 3rd power which equals 10 to the 5th power so u add the powers, -10 to the 5th power divided by 10 to the 3rd power equals 10 to the 2nd power so you subtract powers, -something like "it takes 3 man hours to stack 1 ton, in order to stack 36 tons in 6 hours how many people are required, couple questions like whats -the cube root of 343 to the 2nd power which is 7(cube root of 343) to the 2nd power which is 49, -Jane received a 90, 88 and 73 on 3 tests, what must she get on the next test to average an 80, - a family drove 3000 miles total. they drove 1/10 the first day, and 1/9 of the remaining miles the second day, how many miles was left to be driven, - if a=3b and 6b= 12c, then a=6c, a tank holds 450 gallons of water. one pipe fills it in 15 minutes and emptied by another in 30 minutes, how long to fill the tank if both are open which is 30 minutes, - a triangle has ratio of 2x, 3x, 4x so whats the measure of the smallest angle which is 40 degress. 2x+3x+4x=180 9x=180 x=20 2x(smallest angle) is 40) The math was much simpler in my opinion than the practice questions in the study guides and ASTB gouge found on this website. I finished all the questions in each book like 3 times over and did the astb gouge like 2 times. I would definitely study all the questions though because you dont know which questions they will ask, but to me it seemed to be the easier ones and more mathematic KNOWLEDGE than arithmetic reasoning) I missed about 3-4 math questions out of 25 in the study guides but i think i only missed 1 on the actual test, I dont remember the question though, thats probably why i got it wrong.:icon_rage

Reading comprehension
I barely studied this part because i figure if you dont know how to answer these questions by now it will probably take 6 months to a year to step up your skills, it's not like math or anything else. It's mostly your overall english skills you have acquired through your lifetime. One thing though is that they were all reading comprehension. There was no fill in the blank with the best word choice or stuff where you find the wrong word in the paragraph and replace it with a word from the answer choice. I think i may have missed 2 in this section.

Mechanical- pretty easy section. the hardest i think was something like (the aquarium can hold a certain amount of water, it gives you the amount and dimensions of the tank, and youhave to figure out the percentage full or something.) I saw a few pulley questions, all single pulleys but with a mechanical advantage of 1 and 2. One pulley is pulled downward, and one pulley is pulled upward, which one requires the most force to pull the weight. I saw one on the stability of a brace( two pieces of wide intersecting at a right angle, and it asks you which brace is the strongest, braces close to the right angle, one midway, and one at the edges of the pieces of wood, of course is the ones closest to the edge of the piece of the wood. I didnt see anything on Cams or electrical stuff. I did see the one where there are two structures holding a piece of board with a load on it. The load is closer to one vertical structure, so they ask which strucutre, A or B, holds more of the weight. I saw one where they have the gears- which one moves counterclockwise/clockwise, which gear moves the fastest, most likely the one with the smallest radius. I saw the one where there is 2 10lb weights, on weight is suspended with 2 springs connected one on top of the other and the other has 2 springs on each side of it, it asks which set of springs is extended farther , I didnt see any with the gear having certain "teeth" and if one makes 14 revolutions how many will the other one make. Thats all I can remember for now but this section was much easier than the test booklet, I dont really remember doing any math work or writing stuff down on my scratch piece of paper, most of the stuff you know or dont know.

you get a 15 minute break

Spatial apperception is fairly simple. The only difference i saw between the study guides and the actual test is the picture of the plane and land and sea. All the sections give you sample problems before you start the time with the real thing. In this part they show you all the different angle and stuff you will encounter, I took the 4 minutes to draw them on my scratch paper just in case they were different...but it wasnt too different besides those subtleties.

Aviation and NAutical Information- This part was by far the hardest. Some of this stuff i could not study for cause the amount of information they get to choose the questions from is huge!! I was discouraged by this part but dont fret. I remember some stuff like when was the Navy founded and the rest is hazy. It was just so much information you would have to dedicate like months of your life gathering and studying the information. You would either have to study like a bi*** or be in the military for years to know some of this stuff probably missed like half the questions on this part

Aviation supplemental test- I had no idea this section existed but it was definitely a sight for sore eyes after the previous section. This section covers all the basic stuff like pitch(elevator), yaw(rudder), bank/roll(aileron). I saw two questions on the color of the starboard (green), They asked about keel, forecastle. They asked about airplane runway lights (what does it mean when green and red flashing at same time-use extreme caution), The four aerodynamic forces (drag,lift,thrust,weight), Bernoulli's principle, what happens when air velocity slows down over the top of the wing, they asked about the tachometer and its purpose, I saw nothing with a picture of the airport and where to takeoff/taxi, emergency use only stuff. No pictures at all. Saw 2 questions on lattitude and longitude, prime meridian, greenwhich etc. I saw runway numbering system question, I saw a question on alto stratus( i think all you have to know about the clouds is the latin roots, alto-high, cumulus-pile, stratus-layered, nimbus-rain), mass of your body on earth and moon, nothing on buoys. Nothing on first person in space and other questions similar to this, no shuttle names, no helicopter questions, and none on hydraulic pressure(oh thats mechanical comp part) whewww now your done. this section i felt redeemed since i studied this part pretty hard. Oh some questions would be repeated, but in a way where the answer for a certain question was part of a the actual question in another question. In this case i went back to that specific question and changed the answer.

MY overall advice is to study the guides thoroughly, if you able to do them with ease the 3rd time around your in good shape with the test. I have only taken the test one time so your questions may not be similar with mine. I drank a redbull right before the test, I figured i would need the energy for the math and reading part. I started getting fidgety after the reading part, but the rest of the stuff isn't so much problem solving, mostly memorization so even if your feeling slow from the crash you should still be able to answer them. I was going for a 45-50 OAR score but I surprised myself, maybe you will too!!!:icon_smil OH one more thing, the computer would lock up sometimes and the time counter would still keep counting!!! I was about to throw that computer through the wall!! BUt i just kept clicking the blank screen and it eventually came up. While its loading when you go from one question to the other the timer does stop most of the times.

And yes percy is a beast! Did you know that Tebow skipped his senior prom to do a midnight workout in higschool, damn he's the man! I think he ran for student president the year i graduated. did he win ALLiCANEAT?

blakaccl1

ARCO military aptitude tests
Cliff test prep- Officer candidate tests

I did see some wrong answers in the books though, I dont know how they can publish it with wrong answers! And there are some helpful study material on this website.

BullGator

And yes percy is a beast! Did you know that Tebow skipped his senior prom to do a midnight workout in higschool, damn he's the man! I think he ran for student president the year i graduated. did he win ALLiCANEAT?
Heh, I don't know if he won. I'm sure he did since he must of been the "king" of Nease high. He skipped prom his senior year as an early enrollee, but I can see him skipping prom his junior year as well. Percy has the arms of a linebacker now and Tebow is definitely a beast too, for their respective positions.
So, does that mean that you went to Nease in Jax? I played TE for Riverview HS (class of 2001) (Todd Johnson, Steve Rissler, and Drew Miller went there too) in Sarasota, if you went to a Tampa school.

BullGator

Correction, the highest you've heard of now is a 69.
Sweet god man. Did you get an OAR of 69? What were your other three scores? 9/9/8 or something?

I'm hoping to get everything right on the math and mechanical sections so it can average out my weak Verbal score, and get a decent OAR (55= happy; 65+ and I am "going to Disney World", so to speak).

gotta_fly

pilot
A competitive score is ~55/ 6,6(+),6(+) for prospective pilots and NFOs in the Navy, from what I understand.

The minimums are 20/ 1,1,1. Therefore I believe that the average is 45(+)/ 4,4,4. Please comment if this is off. It also varies on when you take the exam.

Those (1,1,1) may be the numerical minimums, but the qualifying minimums are higher and subject to change. I think they're around 5s, but if you really want to know try searching as I think there was a thread last week about new minimums. Given that, I'm pretty sure 4,4,4 is not average. In the past five years I haven't known more than one person who got lower than a 5. Also, I'm not sure I'd say 6s are that competitive.

Lobster

You studied the cliffs book? Wow, that one really messed me up and I had to take it again. Congrats on your scores though!!