• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB vs AFOQT

snidelywiplash

Fellow Aviators,

I just recently joined this forum and have had some incredible insights on the process of becoming a naval aviator. I am prior service (Navy), with a BS in aviation. Additionally, I have about 400 hours of multi and single engine time. As many here understand, its rather a challenge getting a decent gig flying with these hours, with Insurance minimums, regulators etc. However, an old instructor of mine suggested getting back in the Navy, he is now flying rhinos at NAS meridian. Not a bad idea.
However, being a prior, I understand the importance of looking at all my options, which leads me to my next question. Navy or the Air Guard and their respective testing requirements/tools?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Fellow Aviators,

I just recently joined this forum and have had some incredible insights on the process of becoming a naval aviator. I am prior service (Navy), with a BS in aviation. Additionally, I have about 400 hours of multi and single engine time. As many here understand, its rather a challenge getting a decent gig flying with these hours, with Insurance minimums, regulators etc. However, an old instructor of mine suggested getting back in the Navy, he is now flying rhinos at NAS meridian. Not a bad idea.
However, being a prior, I understand the importance of looking at all my options, which leads me to my next question. Navy or the Air Guard and their respective testing requirements/tools?

Welcome to the page. For the Navy / ASTB, use the search function here to learn more about naval aviation and about the ASTB exam.

Good luck.

MotorCookie

I know the Air Force values those flight hours. You will probably max out your PCSM score with those hours. I'd say Air Guard is a real possibility for you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Fellow Aviators,

Do you want to go to the airlines? What kind of military flying do you think you want to do? And how old are you?

Crowbar808

AFOQT is like 3x the pain overall, the game isn’t as hard maybe? The navy test adapts to how well you’re doing while the usaf one is like a paper SAT style and takes six hours.

The computer game for usaf has a motor skill assessment but is more of a test of quantitative reasoning and scanning instruments under stress. The navy one is like a cross between a precision approach and war thunder but also stressful lol.

You need to prep for the AFOQT and all of its weird sections like it’s the Super Bowl since you normally only get two takes.

the hours are an advantage for getting into the Air Force, but less advantageous once you’re in since everyone else usually has a ton of hours too

To get into a guard fighter unit these days I would say forget about it unless you’re an airline pilot or well connected. due to the hiring boom there are a lot of younger guys that fly with unit members at their civilian airline jobs, they will most likely have a leg up.

Maybe if you get in the upper 90s and lots of interview prep you’ll be able to stand out. But it will still most likely be a multi year project of the unit getting to know you. Keep in mind not everyone who starts out with a fighter slot for the guard is able to keep it.

If you’re not super jet motivated you’re in a good spot either way.

Last edited: