• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Version 5

pulley

Keys for success on the ASTB Version 5

How I studied:

-ARCO "Officer Candidate Tests"
-ARCO "Military Flight Aptitude Tests"
-Math/Mechanical/Aviation Gouge:
http://www.columbia.edu/~mmx1/astb/ASTBgouge.pdf
-Marine Mechanical Gouge:
http://www.columbia.edu/~mmx1/astb/ASTBmechanical.pdf
-Online Boaters Safety Course
-NOMI ASTB Sample Questions
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/astb/ASTB Website Sample Questions.doc

Math: Study the math knowledge problems from the latest edition of the ARCO books and you shoud be golden. Focus on the Math Knowledge questions because there are more of them, rather than the Math Reasoning questions because there aren't that many word problems. In addition, this gouge is very helpful: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8&d=1077514867
*I absolutely cannot emphasize this enough, make sure you know how to quickly and accurately do the math problems. Practice them until you can do them in your sleep.

Reading Comprehension: Success in this section requires that you keep your personal biases on the paragraph topic at bay and allow your answer to rest solely on the facts stated in the paragraph. Again, the ARCO books, more specifically the practice questions in "Officer Candidate Tests" helped out a lot. Be able to read at a constant pace and be decisive in your answers. I guarantee there will be a paragraph about Native Americans that will make you go WTF?? the first time you read it. Carefully re-read any paragraph like that and you will begin to understand it better.

Mechanical: Most people compare the mechanical section to an introductory physics class, and for the most part it is. However, there is stuff that I did not learn in physics that is on this test. The best gouge available is the Marine gouge found here: http://www.columbia.edu/~mmx1/astb/ASTBmechanical.pdf
Then the practice problems can be found here: http://www.columbia.edu/~mmx1/astb/ASTBgouge.pdf
This section of the test is very similar to what is in these two documents, so read and do the problems until you understand the concepts. I would also suggest glancing over the ARCO books just for some additional practice problems.

Take a breather, the most intense part of the test is over.

Spatial Apperception: The best asset for this part of the test are the ARCO books, especially "Military Flight Aptitude Tests." Be able to go though them very rapidly. The airplane is a T-34. The study questions from NOMI are the exact type of questions on the test. Found Here:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/astb/ASTB Website Sample Questions.doc
[It may take some time to download, be patient.]
*Be sure to take time and read through the introduction because it explains this section of the test very well. In addition, when you are taking the test, use the allotted time to read and do the sample questions.

Aviation/Nautical: For those of you that hold a private pilot certificate you will blow this section away. For those of you who do not, the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge is a phenomenal asset. It can be downloaded from here:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

The questions mainly consisted of very general aeronautical knowledge. Flip though the PHoAN and read about the following topics: Bernoulli's Principle, Forces Acting on the Airplane, Ground Effect, Basic Propeller Knowledge (Tip spins faster than the base), Axis of an Airplane, AVGAS Colors, Pitot Static System (Related Instruments), Static System (Related Instruments), Types of Altitudes, Compass Errors (Varation and Deviation), Windshear, Basic Weather Theory, Rotating Beacon Color at a Military and Civilian Airport, VASI Colors, Hyperventilation, How Runways are Numbered (magnetic heading rounded off). There were a couple of aviation history questions, in essence if you know who Chuck Yeager and Amelia Earhart are then you are good to go. The Nautical knowledge was very basic. Literally know bow, stern, port, starboard, and transom. You do not have to take a boaters course like I did.

Supplemental Test: This was not too bad. I have heard this section called the Aviation Supplemental section. However, do not be fooled. This is not an Aviation Supplemental. In actuality, there weren't that many Aviation/Nautical questions in this section (the ones that were there were elementary knowledge). It mainly consisted of questions dealing with Reading Comprehension and Math. Then there were a few easy Mechanical Comprehension questions sprinkled in. Overall, most of the questions were quick and painless with only a few questions that would actually make you stop and think.

Remember there is no substitue for a good nights sleep and a light meal before the test. Oh yeah, be sure and relax and have a good time.

Good Luck Ladies and Gents.

-Pulley

Acitore

Thank You.

Hello there, and thank you SO MUCH for all that gouge. I took the test once and let's just see I haven't seen a number that low since my birth weight.

Thanks again. That's some great gouge.

Jay610

King of the Wicker People
This gouge helps with version 3 also. On the reading comprehension, when it asks for a summary of the paragraph, don't be fooled if you know the subject matter of the paragraph. Example:

George Washington was a nice man who believed in God, Country, and Corps. He loved his wife and believed the USMC made the sun rise every day. Since George Washington was a smart man, he invented time travel.

which answer summarizes the paragraph:
A. The first President was a great man who did great things.
B. The first president loved his wife and was smart.
C. George Washington was a mythical person
D. George Washington had many admirable traits and accomplishments

Bad example, but I would sometimes catch my mind throwing in facts about the paragraph I knew, but in this instance didn't apply. I would almost mark A. when the answer was D. The paragraph wouldn't mention that George was a President. Time is definately against you; but following the advice in the ARCO book about eliminating answers that don't work, was quick and effective.

lucian_boy

I just took version 5 today and I had a question on the aviation and nautical part that I have never seen before. What should a pilot do if he sees flashing red and green light on the control tower. I can not remember the options but I put "circle the airport"

badger16

None
I just took version 5 today and I had a question on the aviation and nautical part that I have never seen before. What should a pilot do if he sees flashing red and green light on the control tower. I can not remember the options but I put "circle the airport"

The answer is exercise extreme caution.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check the original date of the FIRST post. This is a really OLD POST. Second, a quick SEARCH would have helped you find this.

-ea6bflyr ;)

kemfizix

Thanks everyone for all your help!

I took Form 5 two days ago and felt pretty solid, I hope that it all went well. I took the OAR so I can't comment on the other sections. I used both the Barron's and the Arco Guides along with all the info that I found on this site. Two questions that threw me off guard on the Mechanical Section was dealing with optic lenses and binary code. I knew the optics, and I guessed right on the binary code.

Now on to study for the Nuke interview. And hope that I don't have to take the OAR again. I'll post the score once it arrives.

Thanks for all the help Air Warriors!
Oscar

pathogenic.panda

A lot of your links from Columbia don't seem to work, is there any other websites or working links that will lead to the same information?