• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Version 3

kanakAttack

how much for the ape?
The OAR is a score ranging from 20 to 80 and is supposed to be an indicator as to how well one will perform academically at OCS. It is based on a combination of the Math Skills Test, Reading Skills Test, and Mechanical Comprehension Test but the formula used to derive the scores is proprietary and not published for public consumption.

From http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/astb/astbwebsitewriteup.htm

Minimum requirements for each program differ according to program and service. The following chart shows the distribution of OAR scores for all examinees taking the ASTB in one year. The green band shows that most examinees obtain scores between 40 and 60, while very few individuals obtain scores at the upper and lower extremes of the score range.

Examinee Distributions for OAR Scores (FY 04)

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/images/NAMI/astb/scores.jpg

Acitore

Practice ASTB's

Question.

Is there somewhere I can find a significant number of ASTB practice tests; as opposed to the two which come in the book?

Kiitana

Acitore said:
Question.

Is there somewhere I can find a significant number of ASTB practice tests; as opposed to the two which come in the book?

I didn't use any tests other than the ones from the Cliff Notes and the Arco books. However, if you'd like, PM me your e-mail and I'll shoot some great gouge my MOI sent me. Other than that, globalsecurity.org has a great section on all the details on aviation. Between the gouge, the site, and the books, it did alright.

snake020

Contributor
Good gouge. Ya, the spatial apperception on this test was tricky; in one question the plane was pitching up, banking left, and headed from the ocean to the shore, and there were two pictures showing the exact same thing.

joncaleb

However there is a question that asks if you have a container that is 2' by 2' by 2' how many gallons of water can it hold?

I just took the test yesterday, the question was actually "if you have a 2 x 2 x 2 container, and it is half full of water and the water weighs 2 pounds per square foot, how much does the water in the container weigh?"

I had no idea.... also, remember to answer all the questions. Even the ones you don't know. I spoke with a Major here at my command who used to administer the tests, and he told me that the most common answer on the test was "C". So if you don't know (and can't eliminate) answer "C".

The other questions you posted were right on the money. MEMORIZE THEM AND THE ANSWERS! The math section was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The practice tests made it seem like there were going to be some hard ones but all seemed like really basic algebra.

Jon

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I spoke with a Major here at my command who used to administer the tests, and he told me that the most common answer on the test was "C". So if you don't know (and can't eliminate) answer "C".
Jon

I have heard this about every military test I've ever taken. " 'C' your way through it." I usually do if I don't know the answer, don't know if it has ever hepled though either. Anyone know if their is any truth to this strategy?

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Don't know about the C thing, but definitely answer something on all questions. It's not like the SAT, you won't get dinged for wrong answers.

But there isn't really a substitute for studying! Form 3 isn't that difficult, I honestly studied the ASTB gouge on Columbia.edu for 4 days and took the ASTB and did pretty well...the practice exams are the best for studying, because then you get an idea of what the questions are like and how the test is formed.