• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB study guide

AirGuy

Is it true that a new version of the ASTB is coming out with a spatial apperception section similar to that of the AFOQT? I heard that a version of the ASTB was already out where you use a joystick and that the content was different from the previous ASTB. I've called my testing center and they said they have not "updated" yet. So does this mean that they are still using the old form 3,4,5 ASTB?

Also does anyone know if the spatial apperception is similar at all to the practice questions in the Arco, Petersen, and Barron's books? Thanks.

clara kapinos

Is it true that a new version of the ASTB is coming out with a spatial apperception section similar to that of the AFOQT? I heard that a version of the ASTB was already out where you use a joystick and that the content was different from the previous ASTB. I've called my testing center and they said they have not "updated" yet. So does this mean that they are still using the old form 3,4,5 ASTB?

Also does anyone know if the spatial apperception is similar at all to the practice questions in the Arco, Petersen, and Barron's books? Thanks.

The spatial was like nothing out of any of the books or study guide, they have extreme angles.

AirGuy

The spatial was like nothing out of any of the books or study guide, they have extreme angles.

Thanks for the response. Do the images at least look something like this:

q4784545.png

Or is everything just completely different?

zeagle

Thanks for the response. Do the images at least look something like this:

q4784545.png

Or is everything just completely different?

That's pretty much how the spatial section looks, but the above answer seems to easily be B, which was not as easy on the actual test. I do remember some seriously crazy angles that were kind of difficult to gauge with the options, but the layout of the questions of this portion is just as it is above.

AirGuy

That's pretty much how the spatial section looks, but the above answer seems to easily be B, which was not as easy on the actual test. I do remember some seriously crazy angles that were kind of difficult to gauge with the options, but the layout of the questions of this portion is just as it is above.
Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

Jon Jones

I just wanted to say thanks to Patrick and whoever originally created the study guide posted above. I first took the ASTB underprepared, having studied only a few hours from some book that my friend let me borrow.

The second time I took it more seriously, but I primarily relied on this study guide. I raised my scores from 53/5/5/6 to 60/7/6/8. I found the math and mechanical knowledge sections to be particularly useful (they cover the exact types of problems you find on the ASTB). The aviation portion of the guide also had some info that my book did not.

So, if you're browsing the forum, about to take the ASTB and you're iffy on whether to take a look at this, do it.

I just wanted to say thanks to Patrick and whoever originally created the study guide posted above. I first took the ASTB underprepared, having studied only a few hours from some book that my friend let me borrow.

The second time I took it more seriously, but I primarily relied on this study guide. I raised my scores from 53/5/5/6 to 60/7/6/8. I found the math and mechanical knowledge sections to be particularly useful (they cover the exact types of problems you find on the ASTB). The aviation portion of the guide also had some info that my book did not.

So, if you're browsing the forum, about to take the ASTB and you're iffy on whether to take a look at this, do it.

I'm glad you found it helpful. I meant to add some info on limit load factors as they pertain to aircraft categories. I'm at work ATM but when I get home ill edit this post with the info unless someone takes the initiative beforehand.

AirGuy

Awesome scores and great improvement man. What form did you take the 1st and 2nd times? How long ago did you take the test? Oh and which book were you using?

Thanks

Jon Jones

Awesome scores and great improvement man. What form did you take the 1st and 2nd times? How long ago did you take the test? Oh and which book were you using?

Thanks

Thanks, I'm still really pumped about the scores. I took it on May 20. I wish I knew which forms they were...I want to say the second time was form 3 (I honestly didn't pay attention because I was just honed in on the goal of beating my scores)? And the book I used was called Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests by Peterson's. Most of the information in that book can be found on the forum for free, though...in some format or another. The best thing about it was practice tests in the back of the book--especially for spatial apperception. But again, you can find similar practice tests online.

Hope that helps!

AirGuy

Thanks, I'm still really pumped about the scores. I took it on May 20. I wish I knew which forms they were...I want to say the second time was form 3 (I honestly didn't pay attention because I was just honed in on the goal of beating my scores)? And the book I used was called Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests by Peterson's. Most of the information in that book can be found on the forum for free, though...in some format or another. The best thing about it was practice tests in the back of the book--especially for spatial apperception. But again, you can find similar practice tests online.

Hope that helps!
Were you using the book by Scott Ostrow? 8th Edition

This is a great study guide modification! Not to mention the fact that I could not even find a link on here to the old one until now. I am taking my ASTB again in 3 weeks. I only had 2 days to study before I took it the first time and I did very poorly in my opinion. 49/4/5/4 so I'm hoping to really improve these scores this time! The math section from your study guide looks almost IDENTICAL to what mine looked like. If you guys haven't seen it though, the Peterson's website has an interactive section of ASTB practice tests online at this website and it times it for you just like the real thing. I'm not sure if this is the one that is already in the 8th Edition of the Flight Aptitude Book.

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODHubPage.aspx?sponsor=12894&HubPage=15150

Sorry if I'm repeating any sort of information but I myself would like to take as many different practice tests as I can!

Rhodri Vista

Hello! I am new to air warriors and I am looking to take the ASTB on January 17 2014....but I heard that they changed the test. Not a full make over but some tweaks. I was wondering, would this study guide still benefit me? And is there any other material you guys be willing to recommend? Thank you so much! Any feedback would be much appreciated!