• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Scores

totorunner

My astb scores..

Hey all,

Took the ASTB friday for the first time and scored a 6/6/5 - 53 on form 4. I'm wondering how competitive of a score that is for flight school with the Coast Guard. I'm already set to go to OCS and thought I would take it before I get there.

USNMark

I would imagine that since you've taken the ASTB that you're in contact with a Coast Guard officer recruiter. If not, get in touch with one and find out what he or she thinks. The only good answer for those ASTB scores will come from a recruiter. BTW, I'm guessing FWB is Fort Walton Beach? I don't know if there's a USCG recruiter nearby or not.

srqwho

pilot
I was picked up with a 6/6/6 50, but I also am a jedi, so that kinda improved my package a bit.

The ASTB is a big part of your package, but only a part. Talk you your OR and see if they are content with those scores -- if not than you take it again.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
It depends on the program to which you are applying, as well as the other parts of your package (e.g., GPA, work experience, letters of recommendation, motivational statement, et al.).

I scored a 5/6/6 49 on the ASTB and yet was deemed a "highly qualified civilian candidate" by the board of the program for which I applied.

Your should really contact your recruiter.

FlingWing

USCG Ensign, CPL Rotorcraft
i just graduated Coast Guard OCS on Dec 3 and was picked up for flight school with all 8s. That being said, they picked up 13 people from a graduating class of 84. About 20 applied for flight. Scored averaged around 5-6 on the ASTBs. My advice is to write a good memo about why you want to be a CG aviator, start out strong in the program (they pick u up half way through), and have an excellent board (also about half way through). If you're qualified, chances are pretty good. I was a civilian accession as well.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i just graduated Coast Guard OCS on Dec 3 and was picked up for flight school with all 8s. That being said, they picked up 13 people from a graduating class of 84. About 20 applied for flight. Scored averaged around 5-6 on the ASTBs. My advice is to write a good memo about why you want to be a CG aviator, start out strong in the program (they pick u up half way through), and have an excellent board (also about half way through). If you're qualified, chances are pretty good. I was a civilian accession as well.

Congrats!

totorunner

Thanks for the input! I'm getting my flight physical done Monday. So I will be showing up with that and my astb already done. Plus, I have some flight hours under my belt and ground school is already knocked out. I also have 6 years of aircraft maintenance experience. So, hopefully they will see I have my ducks in a row on what I would like to do and where I can make the best impact..:cool:

jasongreen

Does anyone know that the ASTB scores are required to get into the CG OCS program as a pilot? Just curious. What other requirements do you need. I know it's really competitive because there aren't that many OCS slots, I was just curious though.