• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Scores

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I think that helped on my reconsideration. In my letter I pretty much told them I'll keep applying until no longer qualified. I just had this funny image in my head of the board meeting month after month, "who wants JT this month?" :D

Haha, I had the EXACT same thoughts... except that my name isn't JT.

Njc242

Thread jack? I am not sure but I did some searching with not much luck.

I recently went to the recruiting office *Marine* had me take the practice ASVAB just to make sure "We were not wasting each others time" and I scored a 46. Now to me that sucks hard core but all of the guys I talked to in that office (5) said that was good. How the hell is a 46 good on the practice test!? I asked what the test is out of and that number is 99. I am lost

completely wrong forum/subject I guess lol

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Sure you didn't take the ASVAB? ***I dont know how the ASVAB is scored but...seems fishy.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Personally, I believe it's a little pointless to gauge whether one aspect of your application makes you competitive or not. For instance, I got suckered into taking the ASTB out of the blue without really knowing even what it was and got a 68 8/7/7. I applied SNA BDCP then OCS with 4-5 different applications/requests for reconsideration over the span of 3-4 years before I even got my Navy OCS SNA pro rec. My GPA floated anwhere between 3.1 and 3.4 at a Big 10 school (recruiters have always told me this matters /shrug) in Aero engineering and mechanics.

Long story short, from what I've seen my ASTB was far passed competitive, my GPA was rather solid, but I kept getting rejected. No doubt about it, the boards go absolutely nuts for the 'whole person concept'. I didn't get selected until I beefed up my app with a LOR from an O-6 (I don't think the effect of mid to high ranking officer LORs can be overstated, just don't say that to a marine OSO) and a misdemeanor theft violation on my record became more than 7 years old.

My advice: participate in enjoyable extra-curriculars, volunteer crap, and shmooze around with officers so they know you well enough to write you an LOR. Don't sweat the academics if they're at least solid. Oh yeah, and have the determination/drive to keep going through the whole process until you're age-disqualified, makes for a good motivational statement.

If I was going to play armchair recruiter and give you my completely unqualified opinion, I would say that the theft was what was holding you back, honestly. It sounds as if the rest of your package was very competetive.

pmasters

I just took mine ASTB last week and got 6-6-6-56 (have a 3.3 GPA at Pitt appling for BDCP. I'm itching to retake it but my recruiter said that was a bad idea. Anyone have some perspective on how those scores are looking for Intel, SNA, NFO and/or SWO? I have no flight experience and my LORs will be well written but not from anyone particularly spectacular. I really want Intel and can't figure out where my ASTB scores put me.