• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Scores

Boots with furr

Hey Gentlemen, a few questions....

1) Do ASTB scores count anything else besides being selected for flight school?

2) I heard that the Navy only requires pilots to reach the minimum to be considered for flight school. So the better your score doesn't help your package. True/false?

3) I just got my scores back and I was curious as to what they mean. I got 7/8/7/58. I overheard someone say like pilot, NFO, officers aptitude but wasn't exactly sure what they were referring to. Thanks in advance and go gators. :icon_tong

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Your scores are pretty competitive. The higher the score, the better. The minimums are there for a point of reference, but you want as high as possible. Scores, GPA, letters of rec., essay, etc. are all taken into consideration. The selection boards are looking at the "whole person." The numbers, respectively are Aviation Rating / Pilot Aptitude / NFO Aptitude (those arent the official terms but should give you an idea). The last number is your OAR officer aptitude rating. Do a search for "stats and scores" to get an idea of what others on this forum are getting.

othKP2010

Hey,

I'm a 3rd class Midshipman at the U.S Merchant Marine Academy. I took the ASTB last week and got a score of 8 on the AQR, 8 on the PFAR and 7 on the FOFAR. I am considering retaking it to get a higher score. I talked to my naval science teacher and she said that the scores were pretty competitive. I know there are several factors used to determine flight school selection, but I was wondering if anybody knew the average scores for people who are acceppted as SNAs. Thanks.

DoubleDuce

pilot
Those scores sound pretty hot, to tell you the truth. What was your OAR? From the looks, I wouldn't retake. I made a 6/6/5, 56 and got selected SNA. GPA is by far a much more important factor anyway.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
I don't believe there is an average. There are several threads on the topic i believe. Nice scores though.

I don't remember mine, I'll have to check. Yours are better though.

Edit: just checked: 6/6/7 54, 3.5 GPA

jklefa2

Dont waste your time taking it again. Your scores are fine, they are better than mine and I'm on an air contract. You should shift your focus on getting good rec. letters and the best GPA you can get. A solid PFT wont hurt either IMO...

othKP2010

Thanks for all the input. I automatically get a comission after I graduate so i didn't get a OAR score. I heard that it helps to have an engineering degree as well. Doesn't anyone know if this is true? How much of a factor are PFT scores?

MettGT

pilot
I don't believe there is an average. There are several threads on the topic i believe. Nice scores though.

I don't remember mine, I'll have to check. Yours are better though.

Edit: just checked: 6/6/7 54, 3.5 GPA

I know its just semantics, but the average would be a 5/5/5 because the test is curved on a stanine scale.

USF_Bull

You're golden. Just focus on your gpa. I took it as a first semester freshman and got a 5-6-5, just trying to see what the test was all about. I was told not to waste my time taking it again, so I didn't. Graduating with a 3.5gpa and selected SNA. However, a close friend got like a 4-5-4 or a 4-4-5. She hasn't selected yet, but was told she's "Pending SNA" depending on the final numbers.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
Thanks for all the input. I automatically get a comission after I graduate so i didn't get a OAR score. I heard that it helps to have an engineering degree as well. Doesn't anyone know if this is true? How much of a factor are PFT scores?
I can't speak for the Navy side of the house, but when I was applying on the USMC side my OSO said that a solid PFT was more valuable than a good ASTB.

I applied as an intel major. From what I hear, engineering majors are valued slightly higher, but not enough to justify majoring in it if you don't want that degree... Next year I'll be a basket wea... I mean Biblical Studies major.

tlevine

Hey man,

Class of 2007 now in primary at NAS Corpus with the Navy. You're scores are good, they are very competive. Keep your GPA up and make sure you get a leadership position your 1st class year. Just keep hounding Naval science as well, make sure they remember your name. Take advantage of as many Naval Air Internships as possible. Make friends with these guys, especially higher ranking ones as contacts so you can get letters of recommendation from them later on the road. Don't bother retaking, the test is really luck of the draw and next time you may get a test in subject areas that are different and do worse, which would be bad because they take the most recent score. When I was waiting in A-pool they used as test subjects for a new type of ASTB. I had very good scores coming out of the USMMA and these new tests made me scratch my head on more than one occasion. Bottom line, you're golden, focus on the other things now: GPA, leadership position, and making sure LT Edelen knows your name.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Don't take it again. There is a better chance of getting a lower score than a higher one.

othKP2010

I'm doing an internship this summer. I was thinking either Oceana or Pax River. Do you have any recommindations?

PigzFly

Pax is cool, but there is not much out there. It is where they have the test squadrons and the test pilot schools. My dad is stationed there right now. There is nothing bad about the place except for the fact that the closest airport is a couple of hours away.