• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tougs9

Can anyone tell me the answers to the following questions for the astb

1. What was the first American space station to go to space

2. Why are airliners wings swept back

3. Is the preasurization in a plane at 30,000 ft. the same as sea level, less than sea level, or more than sea level.

I heard these questions are on the aviation part of the astb. I am taking the test on thursday and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me the answers to these questions.

jburnes

1 wasn't the first space station Skylab?
2 wings swept back?...what no multiple choice? i guess something like increased max
speed (due to less drag, but also less lift)....similar to why the f14 has variable wings
3 im going to say that the cabin pressure is less in a plane at 30000 ft. just because when you go up it feels like your ears are going to explode...and when you go down it feels like they are going to implode...if that makes sense...

if anyone else knows the real right answers...maybe they should post them....

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
Here is what i would put, thats all I can tell you for sure.

1. Skylab
2. Short answer: less drag :Longer answer: Airliners run upwards of 550 knots (Mach 0.84@35000ft), enough to consider compressable effects. Wing sweep reduces the critical mach number, delaying its effects and lessening the rate at which the coefficient of drag increases. All that means is the drag dont shoot up like a bottle rocket as early or as fast. I only remember the crit mach number equation from class. If you want to know more, I can bust out my books.
3. I heard an offhand comment saying that the cabin is supposed to be 5000 feet or such. Like Denver. I am least confident about this, but I would put less then.

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
Michael Webb said:
Not only does wing sweep allow for a higher critical mach number...

Your right, I misspoke. Its M/cos(lamda) or something like that? Aero major? Anywho, its funner to fly'm then study them.

Best of luck to you there Tougs, hope to hear good things Thursday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.