• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidrwmn

Hi guys!
I am taking the ASTB for the first time in August, but I am nervous about the math and physics sections. I got an SAT math book and the ARCO word problems book, as well as the military flight aptitude book. But anyone have any suggestions for study guides for the mechanical/physics section? I have never taken physics before and am totally mechanically impaired. Thanks!!
- spidrwmn

unfUSN

The best study guide I've ever seen for the test was a Marine study guide. Call up your local Marine rtecruiter go talk to them and get their stuff... it was basically the same test questions with slightly different numbers.

spidrwmn

Hi
I got the marine study guide and it is a lot better than the ARCO in some areas, but it doesn't really offer any good explainations. If I study that ( and can do the physics, etc. from the study guide) do you think it will be enough? Or will the questions be harder?

JasonG

Can one of you guys send me the Marine study guide through e-mail. I appreciate it!

mavrikx22@hotmail.com

PeacoatMan

Spidrwmn,

One thing that the Marine study guide leaves off that you ought to prepare for is a section of the ASTB entitled "Spatial Apperception." I don't know what kind of flight experience you might already have (it could help); but the ARCO book was beneficial (to me) for its practice of this portion of the test. I felt it was very helpful for training myself to see the question and know the answer immediately -- know what I mean? You only get 10 minutes to answer 35 of them = not a lot of time to think ... so you got to be able to look at one and know the answer in an instant.

That's just a little insight (I hate to boast but I got 31 out of 35 right ). To be honest, you don't need the ARCO book for anything else; and, the only other thing you need is that Marine study guide.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know.

Joey

PeacoatMan

Dave,

I retook the ASTB and my scores qualified for SNA! I am still working on the paper work and hope to have an application sent off pretty soon. If it doesn't work out I will just keep reapplying until the Navy realizes they need me.

Joey

spidrwmn

PeacoatMan,
Congrats on the retake!!
Any suggestions for the physics/mechanics section? Is the stuff for the physics section almost exactly the same as what is on the Marine study guide? Thanks!

- spider

PeacoatMan

Spdrwmn,

Definitely study the Marine guide for the physics/mechanical section ... however there are quite a few questions the Marine guide doesn't hit. I am not sure how to recommend to study for it -- really, most of it is common sense, but some questions will trip you up and make you second guess yourself.

Try to remember the ones you don't think you got right or struggled with. When you get out to your car, write them (as best you can remember) on some paper and ask someone who can help you. (They won't let you have any paper during the test except for the math section). In case you end up taking the ASTB again that ought to help with the mechanical comprehension the 2nd go around.

You'll do fine.

Joey

Steven Ruiz

Spidrwmn,
I am also taking the ASTB for the first time soon, I have been studying the ARCO book for a couple of months now, but I still get nervous about messing up. I am not really worried about the aviation part nor the "Spatial Apperception" because i am pretty used to that, since i have flown on helicopters before many times (I was in the Navy for 4 years (enlisted),worked on H46's), but i am worried about the same as you, physics and math!
If someone can please let me know on what to concentrate on, i would really appreciate it.
Also,I would like to hear so info on what to expect at OCS.

Thanks,

Steven

If anyone has questions on the Navy life, e-mail me. I have a lot of stories.

Steven

Tahoe

quote:

but i am worried about the same as you, physics and math!

Trust me when I say STUDY THE MARINE GUIDE, the thing is almost verbatim in regards to the math and physics parts. In addition to that ask your recruter to sit down with you and go over some stuff, mine did and made it all the more helpful!

-Dave

spidrwmn

Can anyone explain the frequency stuff to me ( from the physics section)? I am confused about the currents, voltage, resistors, etc. Any helpful hints? Thanks!

- spider

Dave Shutter

They throw a few basic electronic diagrams at you just for kicks. I remember one test having none and another having three. I familiarized myself with the basics with a book from a friend who took engineering, can't say anything past the first chapter made sense. Get a basic electronics book from the library and get to know what the different symbols look like and read some of the basics like OHMS law. Once you have an idea of what your looking at they're actually really easy questions, but brain sugery is easy when you know how!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.