• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

zboy

None
I was wondering if anybody has taken the test lately, if so what is the best material to study with? Any tricks on how to control both airplanes at the same time? I took the ASTB, a couple of days ago but I did terrible. Any info will help, thank you.
I would say just go through this site and read what people have posted and what they've seen and study those problems/questions, especially for the ANIT section. People will post exact questions most of which I saw on my test. I used the barron and peterson books but the mechanical sections aren't very similar. Those focus on balancing fulcrums and pulleys and I maybe saw like 2 of those. My test focused on basic physic principles and applying them to varies scenarios.

flame491

hey i am going to be taking the astb test soon and i am studying the arco books and the baron books and some flashcards (that someone posted on this forum). i was just wondering how good are my chances with a 2.5 gpa in computer science if i get a good score on the test of getting in for the navy either as a flight officer or a pilot

Last edited:
hey i am going to be taking the astb test soon and i am studying the arco books and the baron books and some flashcards (that someone posted on this forum). i was just wondering how good are my chances with a 2.5 gpa in computer science if i get a good score on the test of getting in for the navy either as a flight officer or a pilot
37 percent

RovingGent

Hey, so I just took most of the ASTB today (their tech was down, so I'm having to take the stick/video game portion Monday) and was totally blindsided by the personality profile section. I had done the practice test I found a link to here that had a spatial appreciation section where you match pictures of planes with cockpit views and then it had the nautical/aviation knowledge section. It did not have this personality test, which was utterly brutal, and the actual test didn't have any spatial appreciation section. On this personality thing, had to pick which of two statements you agreed with more and most of the time both statements were horrible. It was like either "I can't perform in stressful situations," or "I have a major problem with authority." Or "I quit tasks when they become difficult," or "I can't work well with others." Jesus, ask me how often I beat my wife, while you're at it. I'm only exaggerating slightly in saying almost all the questions were like that. Not at all sure how I did, but does anyone have any info on this, or on how it's scored?

msv123

MVaughn123
Hey, so I just took most of the ASTB today (their tech was down, so I'm having to take the stick/video game portion Monday) and was totally blindsided by the personality profile section. I had done the practice test I found a link to here that had a spatial appreciation section where you match pictures of planes with cockpit views and then it had the nautical/aviation knowledge section. It did not have this personality test, which was utterly brutal, and the actual test didn't have any spatial appreciation section. On this personality thing, had to pick which of two statements you agreed with more and most of the time both statements were horrible. It was like either "I can't perform in stressful situations," or "I have a major problem with authority." Or "I quit tasks when they become difficult," or "I can't work well with others." Jesus, ask me how often I beat my wife, while you're at it. I'm only exaggerating slightly in saying almost all the questions were like that. Not at all sure how I did, but does anyone have any info on this, or on how it's scored?
It can be extremely frustrating if you go into it trying to figure out which option is "true" about you. Rather, just try to figure out which option is "less false." They present the statements to you in different combinations and use algorithms (science 'n sh**) to gauge your personality. That's why it's so long. Don't try to figure out which option you think the Navy wants to hear. Just be honest and you'll be fine.

Daniel Geloso

What do y'all think about the OAR Study Guide from Trivium? I am gonna get the Gre book previously mentioned as well as the Baron's military flight book and I already have the one study guide form the forum, is it worth it?

Nazo

Just got back from my ASTB first attempt, studied for about a month using the gouge from this site. Ended up with a 66 8/8/8, which I am very happy with. My recruited says I will be pro-rec SNFO for sure. I ran practice tests under time from Barron, Pearson, and the pdfs found on this site. I think they gave me a good idea what to expect even though the real deal was noticeably more difficult.

When I got my scores I was honestly shocked that they were that high, I thought I was doing relatively poorly since I kept seeing easy questions pop up after harder ones, making me think I was missing a bunch. I think my RCT scores got jacked up as well since the ASTB server died mid test and I had to resume with 5 minutes lost to cyberspace, I finished that section with less than 10 seconds to spare.

zsparks

How long does it take to get the results for the ASTB? My wife and I, after some discussion, have decided that I should try to go commission officer as an NFO or IDWO. The applications for this board ends August 21 so that gives me only 7 business days try to get all my information together. I already have 6 years of enlistment in the Navy as aircrew. I got out of the Navy as an AWV2 (AW/EAWS). I thought that I would like to pursue a career in the medical field so I went to USF with my GI bill graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Cell and Molecular Biology then realized that I am not that interested in it, &c.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
How long does it take to get the results for the ASTB? My wife and I, after some discussion, have decided that I should try to go commission officer as an NFO or IDWO. The applications for this board ends August 21 so that gives me only 7 business days try to get all my information together. I already have 6 years of enlistment in the Navy as aircrew. I got out of the Navy as an AWV2 (AW/EAWS). I thought that I would like to pursue a career in the medical field so I went to USF with my GI bill graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Cell and Molecular Biology then realized that I am not that interested in it, &c.

You get the scores on the spot.

zsparks

Just got back from my ASTB first attempt, studied for about a month using the gouge from this site. Ended up with a 66 8/8/8, which I am very happy with. My recruited says I will be pro-rec SNFO for sure. I ran practice tests under time from Barron, Pearson, and the pdfs found on this site. I think they gave me a good idea what to expect even though the real deal was noticeably more difficult.

When I got my scores I was honestly shocked that they were that high, I thought I was doing relatively poorly since I kept seeing easy questions pop up after harder ones, making me think I was missing a bunch. I think my RCT scores got jacked up as well since the ASTB server died mid test and I had to resume with 5 minutes lost to cyberspace, I finished that section with less than 10 seconds to spare.

Hey Nazo, congratulations on your score. I hope the best.

zsparks

RUFiO181

Thanks for the timely response. I appreciate that because my wife was worried that it would take some time. I think the biggest thing that will hold me up is getting my medical files and physical.