• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
the big issue on this is managing your time...if you come to a question that seems absurd like that, just skip it and do an easier one...then, when you finish the section and hopefully have time to check answers, you'll be able to go back over the things that tripped you up...i did this and still was able to finish with 3-4 mins in the section

tonio

the big issue on this is managing your time...if you come to a question that seems absurd like that, just skip it and do an easier one...then, when you finish the section and hopefully have time to check answers, you'll be able to go back over the things that tripped you up...i did this and still was able to finish with 3-4 mins in the section

I was going to suggest this myself, I'm mediocre with math but did relatively well on the Air Force test. You have to make sure you get to the questions you know and leave the questionable ones toward the end.

WEGL12

VT-28
As far as I know it is not graded like the SAT so wrong answers don’t count against you but blank answers do. I have read several times you are better off guessing rather than leaving answers blank. I'm not 100% positive though.

tonio

Taking the test tomorrow morning, been using the gouge here on the forum, one of the popular study guides and Arco. I'm a leave no answers type person so if I have 30 seconds left and questions unanswered i will just go through and answer them randomly, I'll let you know how that goes. Hoping for anything over a 50 OAR.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
good luck dude..as the saying goes, "work smarter not harder"...do let us know how it turns out

tonio

46 5 5 4

Ehh.. I'm indifferent about the scores. I had version 5 and my supplemental was all aviation, of which I have zero experience with. On the timing, if you study for the AFOQT you are more than prepared for the ASTB. There wasn't a section I did not finish with less than 1 minute to spare and on average I had 3 minutes to go back and check my answers. The test isn't hard but going by my score it is certainly one not to take for granted, I studied for about 2 weeks with a focus on the mechanical section. (which is where I think my score was chopped down) Math wasn't bad at all, I felt like I got at least 85% of those correct. Reading.. oh boy. Lets just say the Arco book doesn't prepare you well enough, when I first did the Arco test I only missed 2 on the reading section but on the actual test the paragraphs and the answers were much more obscure.

Aviation and Nautical, I wont lie I made educated guesses on about 30%-40% of the questions. I am applying for Intel so I wanted to do well enough on that portion to show that I have some knowledge but my focus was on the OAR. Ultimately, I can test better and if I am a non select I will retest.

nativeofsandieg

I went on a few trips over the past few weeks and literally read through the entire FAA handbook while flying, there wasn't one question on the test that wasn't covered somewhere in that manual. There was also another book that I thought was particularly helpful after reading the FAA handbook, it was 10 bucks on amazon. "General Test Guide 2010: The "Fast-Track" to Study for and Pass the FAA Aviation Maintenance".

I wish I would have done better on my math and I still kicking myself in the head about that. But the aviation/nautical section I thought was pretty easy.

A

AlexSmart

nativeofsandieg, I second the math regrets. I'm pretty sure my success on the mechanical section and reading comprehension saved my OAR score. If I had to do the ASTB again, I would have probably picked up a couple high school algebra textbooks at Goodwill or eBay.

chrisc

Have plm studying the ASTB? Read this. Have advice abt ASTB? Read and Post on this.

First, some info about me. I'm male and just turned 29.
I have a BS in Technical Management with a GPA of 2.7 :icon_rage and graduated 2006.
I took 1 semester (just 2 classes) towards an MBA and got a 2.2 :eek:
Employers: Various IT jobs in the last 10 years, lots of Customer Service, but mostly in IT related fields.
Extracurricular: Just regular maintenance exercises.
LoR: Just a few, maybe.

I got an email from a recuriter, and he replied with the packet. I am currently just planning to take the ASTB for Navy OCS. I've found the posts here very helpful for my taking the ASTB.

First of all, I'm not planning to be an aviator, due to the fact I know my vision (600/650, I wear contacts all the time) would not pass any test they give me. I do feel that learning to fly is a great, fun, and challenging skill for anyone to learn. If possible, I wouldn't mind learning to fly ANYTHING. I dreamed of being that top notch pilot as a kid, but I guess that has to go down the drain. Those with perfect vision are given a great opportunity, I guess.

Here's what I've been doing:
ASTB PREP TEST: I've been studying so that I can answer AND explain every answer. I know that this isn't practical for taking the test (which is timed), but at least I would LIMIT the amount of unfamiliar questions that I would be confronted with on the test. Limiting the amount of unfamiliar questions is what I have been focusing on.
READING AN OLD MATH POWER BOOK: Has a complete review of math. Great Reference.
ASTB SAMPLE QUESTIONS PACKET: Answered every question and can explain most of them. Will go back to the others later.
MARINE AVIATION GUIDE EBOOK SUPPLEMENT: Planning to read, haven't gotten to yet.
BARRON'S OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL BOOK: Got the book from the library, haven't had the time to take the questions and study.
A BUNCH OF LIBRARY ASVB BOOKS: Seconday reading material.
COLUMBIA SITE: Been browsing, but still stuck on the ASTB Prep test.
HTTP://WWW.NAVY-OFFICER.COM/: Again, still studying.
PILOTS HANDBOOK: Would like to read.
RECREATION: Play brain games on my phone. And watch movies.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I need help in studying. I always start, but then get either too bored and fall right to sleep for 30-120 mins reading the material, or stuck for too long on a particular question. Outside the home, I get too distracted. For the ASTB, anyone know of any recreational online flash games that include complicated ASTB questions (which would help). Working with a partner would help of course, but every human I know is either too busy, too far away, too lazy, or just doesn't have the discipline to help for a long period of time, but as of now, all I got is the internet. I know I should be able to do this myself, and over time, I can, but with help this would be FASTER. I'm not even working right now so I can focus on this. (I'll work again AFTER I take the ASTB.)

WHAT COULD HELP: Other than a decent human being? All I got is the internet. I'm still searching and reading all the links on the site. I couldn't find info on any score that I would need, given my borderline GPAs. Knowing the needed score is also important so I could focus what I need to study on. Most of the stuff I have been reading is stuff I USED TO KNOW AND WAS GOOD AT, but disappeared over time. My recruiter told me that I would probably be in Intel. Also, any printable study guides or advice from those that studied the ASTB by themselves would help. And if there are any printable explanations on the ASTB Prep Test questions, please post. I'm making one right now, BTW. I probably need a classroom environment and will look for one too.

And if u got bored reading this, don't find this stimulating enough, unable to relate, too frustrated at the post, or would rather read something else, don't worry, I understand. THAT IS THE PROBLEM THOUGH. :(

jph

I should start by saying: I know I don't have the reputation on this site that a lot of guys on here do, but I feel like I've been lurking around here long enough to know that what I want to say in response to this post is what most credible people on AW would say, so here goes:

MARINE AVIATION GUIDE EBOOK SUPPLEMENT: Planning to read, haven't gotten to yet.
BARRON'S OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL BOOK: Got the book from the library, haven't had the time to take the questions and study.
Just read the stuff. "Haven't gotten to it yet" ... weak.

PILOTS HANDBOOK: Would like to read.
So read it.

RECREATION: Play brain games on my phone. And watch movies.
Seriously? Stop playing brain games and watching movies and read the above three items you "haven't gotten to yet."

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I need help in studying. I always start, but then get either too bored and fall right to sleep for 30-120 mins reading the material, or stuck for too long on a particular question. Outside the home, I get too distracted. For the ASTB, theres no one to quiz me, no one to provide assistance with directions, no one to time me, no one to provide thoughts, no one to write any of those flash cards or ask me vocabulary questions, no recreational online flash games that include complicated ASTB questions (which would have helped). All I got is the internet. Every human I know is either too busy, too far away, too lazy, or just doesn't have the discipline to help for a long period of time. I know I should be able to do this myself, and over time, I can, but with help this would be FASTER. I'm not even working right now so I can focus on this. (I'll work again AFTER I take the ASTB.)
Lots to say on this one. You get too 'distracted' and too 'bored'? Then, maybe this isn't the path you should be pursuing. More importantly, and infuriatingly actually, is that you repeatedly say "no one" this and "no one" that ... I hate to break it to you, but it's not someone else's responsibility to help you succeed at this. It all falls squarely on your shoulders. You lambast others for being "too lazy" to help you ... it's their not job, and speaking of jobs, you say you don't have one. So, why in the world have you not "gotten to" the other study materials you listed?

WHAT COULD HELP: Other than a decent human being? All I got is the internet. I'm still searching and reading all the links on the site. I couldn't find info on any score that I would need, given my borderline GPAs. Knowing the needed score is also important so I could focus what I need to study on. Most of the stuff I have been reading is stuff I USED TO KNOW AND WAS GOOD AT, but disappeared over time. My recruiter told me that I would probably be in Intel. Also, any printable study guides or advice from those that studied the ASTB by themselves would help. And if there are any printable explanations on the ASTB Prep Test questions, please post. I'm making one right now, BTW.
What could help? Easy. A little self-motivation, self-responsibility, focus, and determination.

And if u got bored reading this, don't find this stimulating enough, unable to relate, too frustrated at the post, or would rather read something else, don't worry, I understand. THAT IS THE PROBLEM THOUGH. :(
"THAT IS THE PROBLEM THOUGH" ... that is *not* the problem. Stop blaming your problem(s) on everyone else. I have a stockpile of useful study material. So does this site, because, for years, motivated, dedicated, and hardworking people have posted their contributions. However, they post their gouge to help equally motivated, dedicated, and hardworking people succeed. I've been lurking around here long enough to know that it takes a lot of unbelievably hard work to succeed at this, and the vast majority of us on here take this very seriously. We don't get 'bored' or 'distracted' ... we get motivated, place the responsibility on ourselves, and study harder ... and, quite frankly, we get pissed off when people like you come on here and say the most unbelievably asinine things you say.

chrisc

I should start by saying: I know I don't have the reputation on this site that a lot of guys on here do, but I feel like I've been lurking around here long enough to know that what I want to say in response to this post is what most credible people on AW would say, so here goes:

Just read the stuff. "Haven't gotten to it yet" ... weak.

So read it.

Seriously? Stop playing brain games and watching movies and read the above three items you "haven't gotten to yet."

Lots to say on this one. You get too 'distracted' and too 'bored'? Then, maybe this isn't the path you should be pursuing. More importantly, and infuriatingly actually, is that you repeatedly say "no one" this and "no one" that ... I hate to break it to you, but it's not someone else's responsibility to help you succeed at this. It all falls squarely on your shoulders. You lambast others for being "too lazy" to help you ... it's their not job, and speaking of jobs, you say you don't have one. So, why in the world have you not "gotten to" the other study materials you listed?

What could help? Easy. A little self-motivation, self-responsibility, focus, and determination.

"THAT IS THE PROBLEM THOUGH" ... that is *not* the problem. Stop blaming your problem(s) on everyone else. I have a stockpile of useful study material. So does this site, because, for years, motivated, dedicated, and hardworking people have posted their contributions. However, they post their gouge to help equally motivated, dedicated, and hardworking people succeed. I've been lurking around here long enough to know that it takes a lot of unbelievably hard work to succeed at this, and the vast majority of us on here take this very seriously. We don't get 'bored' or 'distracted' ... we get motivated, place the responsibility on ourselves, and study harder ... and, quite frankly, we get pissed off when people like you come on here and say the most unbelievably asinine things you say.

I dont't have time to debate with u. But if u get stuck somewhere, getting help and not critism usually speedens things up. Stuck on an island? I create the smoke signal first - unless ur in enemy territory (is that where I am?). And I haven't gotten to one thing because I'm still studying on the other.

chrisc

Thanks for the reviewer. I haven't been able to access this. Hope this help! w00t

Ok, first off I want to thank everyone on these forums for being more help to wannabe's like me than anyone or any book could ever be. I took the ASTB about a month ago and pulled off an 8/9/8 61, so I want to try to pass on the help I was given.

First of all, buy the study guides. I bought the ARCO Military Flight, ARCO Officer Candidate, and Barron's Military Flight test books. The information in these books is very valuable. They may not cover exactly what is on the exam, but you can't expect that. What they do is give you an idea of what kind of questions to expect. The practice tests are the best way for you to put yourself in the scenario of what the actual test will be like, and one of the only ways to see if you're working at too slow of a pace.

Second, use the Marine gouge website and all of the files that they have available. The information on this website is very very similar to what the test questions are. The questions may not be the same, but most of the concepts are. If something seems vague to you while studying, look it up online. Try to think 'how else could they ask this question?'. There is a lot of information to know, and 90% of it won't be on your test, so don't focus too much on one thing if it is bothering you.

Third, if you have any questions feel free to PM me and (without giving you exact test material) I will try to help. I have attached my personally compiled study guide. It consists of information gathered from all 3 study guides, this forum, and many miscellaneous things that I thought might help. Keep in mind that I am not going to tell you what stuff is 'more important' than other things. I used this to keep myself organized, so it might be useful for some of you to add or remove things as you please. Also, I'm human so some of the information in this document may not even be correct. I tried to make sure it was, but I may have made a few mistakes without noticing them.

If you use this to study, let me know after you take the test if it was helpful at all. Good luck to everyone that is yet to take it, try not to stress too much.

Patrick