• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Math

GodAndCountry

I'm applying to be an intel officer in the Navy and am taking the ASTB November 3. I got diagnosed with Nonverbal Learning Disability (http://www.nldontheweb.org/) in 2002. As a result, the math section of the test is very difficult for me.

It was my understanding going into the test that no accommodations were offered. But on Page 44 of the ARCO book, it says:

Inform the proctor of your special needs.
If
you are left-handed, have any special physical
problem, or have other needs, ask if some
arrangements can be made so you can compete
equally with the other candidates.

Is it possible to get accommodations (all I would need is a calculator) on the test? Does it lower chances for acceptance at all? The rest of the test, including the spatial and mechanical parts, is easy.

Some other info, if it helps:
Getting my MA in American Government/National Security in May.
Current GPA 3.75.
I pulled Bs in all my math classes in undergrad.

And yes, I know having a learning problem can get me disqualified. But I still want to try, because I've wished I could serve all my life.

I am in a situation to the one that Godandcountry is in. I was born with a learning disability that I was told at one point is medically classified as a neurological deficit. I informed the local recruiting center of my learning disability last summer when I did my intake interview over the phone. Despite this prior knowledge they did not provide me with reasonable accommodation as they are required to under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. My accommodation for my learning disability has in the past been either time and a half or double administration time. Is there a way that I can get this during the third time I take this test so I do not get screwed again ?

CBR11

If you currently have a learning disability, you are NPQ for aviation duty according to the NAMI waiver guide. Childhood LDs that are no longer an issue are either not a problem or waiverable.

I don't know the policies for other designators.

I don't mean to be a dick but you are applying to elite communities within the armed forces. Why would you expect any accommodations?

I don't meant to be a dick either but what the fuck do you know about what it means to be disabled ? A learning disability is not something that goes away after you reach a certain age instead if you are born with one it stays with you for the rest of your life. Further more unlike an injury it cannot be fixed or corrected. Under Section 4 of the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act a person with disabilities is defined as having "a record of such an impairment or being regarded as having such an impairment." I have complete documentation of my learning disability including medical documentation. Further more, I never denied having a learning disability in fact as I said in my last post I told the Officer Recruiting Station of it during my intake questioner last summer. Under both Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American With Disabilities Act Amendments Act Section 4, paragraph 3, subparagraph 3 a person with a recognized Disability is entitled to reasonable accommodations. As Navy OCS is a federally funded programs I am not just entitled to reasonable accommodations the Naval Officer Recruiting Office is required to provide me with them. And last but not least, it is unreasonable and discriminatory for a person with a medically and legally recoginzed learning disability to expect to compete equally on an uneven playing field where the deck is stacked against because of the fact that they were born disabled.

BrandonCl

What you say makes sense, but how about the guys born with bad eyesight, chronic asthma, a heart condition, or one of any other disqualifying issue that can prevent someone from serving their country. It might be a tough bite to swallow, but some people are just not meant to serve in the armed forces for one reason or another, and one needs to look deep and find other ways to support the country they love. The vast majority of people are facing a deck stacked against them, unfortunately that's life. With that said, good luck bro with your pursuit of your dream and I sincerely wish you the best in your endeavors.

I understand where your coming from as well. In addition to my learning disability I was born with a VSD, a Ventricular Sepal Defect, and Scoliosis, curvature of the spine. Despite that and multiple battles with a recurrent case of lyme diseases throughout high school I earned the rank of Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts of America without using the alternate requirements that the National Council had created for people with disabilities. And was accepted into the Navy ROTC college program.