• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - attempt #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidrwmn

Well, I took the ASTB this morning with less than stelar results. I got a 40, and all 3's. Needless to say, I will be back retesting in 30 days.
I got form #2 ( damn geometery)! Dave, I know you tried to warn me, but I didn't listen. :)

Did anyone else notice that the spatial section pictures looked a LOT different from the ones in the ARCO book?

For anyone about to take the test : the USMC guide was pretty acurate ( math, mechanical, aviation/nautical).

- spider

Smokescreen

Personally... I thought that Form 1 was easier so keep that in mind, relax and keep your head... you'll be fine.

-Smoke

spidrwmn

I have a really old copy of the ARCO book and the spatial section looked remarkably different compaired to what was on the test.
Do the more recent editions have a better example or are they all the same?
Also, does anyone know of any good, cheap flight sims ( PC)?

Dave ( or anyone else) what is to be expected on test form #1? More word problems? Are the aviation/nautical and mechanical sections similar to test form #2?

- spider

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, I definately remember the spatial portion of the test being different than the ARCO book. But hey, now you know.

"And knowing's half the battle." --GI Joe

--Steve

Dave Shutter

Told you...

That last problem with the rock dropped in the water was a bitch wasn't it! Look to see more word problems and graphs in form 1, or so I remember.

The ARCO book has a WWII Corsair and a ship in the Ocean picture which sucks because you can get too used to just looking at that for the right answer, where the test has a T-34, better illustrations and no ship. Focus really hard on the sample questions, don't blow them off. You have a good while to look at them. See exactly how the test represents the attitude, roll, headings ect. vs. relying on the ARCO pics burned in your head. The test also gets tricky with different headings when the plane is going out to sea. It all seems like a no brainer but after fifty questions in only a few minutes they all start to look alike and if you're taking too long on each one you have to rush and then it gets worse. Keep practicing with the ARCO book, it's still helpful and I wouldn't consider the SAT something you don't need to prepare for anymore, but in all honesty this part of the test is the least of your worries if your weak in math and mechanics, trust me.

Time to hit the books again, sucks doesn't it? When you do get the scores you need though it will all be worth it.

Good Luck!

(OC) Shutter SNA, 50 days to Poopie week

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/08/2001 01:45:19

spidrwmn

Thanks for the insight Dave!!

When I studied the ARCO spatial section, I relied a lot on the clouds to tell me weather the aircraft was going up or down - so imagine my shock when there were no clouds!
I actually found the mechanical section to be pretty easy, but considering I got a 40, I must have done really bad on the math section.
Oh well, now I know what to work on!

- spider

Dave Shutter

Oh yeah! No clouds on the real test, I knew I was forgetting something, that's why I said to study the samples real good, look for how the test shows the sea/horizon as either climbing or diving, that's what I meant.

(OC) Shutter SNA, 49 days to Poopie week!

Tahoe

I know what you mean about the ARCO book, it's useless!! I'd really look over the USMC study guide and know the math cold and how to solve them. If you have time to look over things when you're done with each section I'd try to do that as well. Just study it up for the next few weeks and you'll be fine

-Dave

marcb747

One trick on the spatial app part is to use deductive reasoning. Especially if you want to maximize the time limit. (Speed is a factor on this one)
On my first take, I missed 9 items because I ran out of time. I was too preoccupied on making sure that my choices were right, and in the process, lost sight of time. You need to eyeball your choice at an instance and then deduce the answer by quickly eliminating the obvious wrong answers, so as to confirm your first choice. On my second take, I only had 1 error and finished the part in lesser time.
Hope this helps.

spidrwmn

Thanks for the advice guys!! If you think of any more, feel free to send it my way.
Dave, when you said there were more graphs on test 1, did you mean like plot a point, mipoint formula, slope, etc or did you mean like an info graph? Thanks!

- spider

brian-75

Yea, I took that test number as well and needless to say there were a lot of questions that I had not seen. I was unable to find the marine study guide so that was a bit hard to prep for some of those questions. I don't know if my scores are good enought to be considered for a pilot, 37 for the combined math / mechanical, a 3, 4, and 2 fives, (what do you guys think?). One of the fives was on the spatial test and I must say just going and getting MS Flight Simultaor helped or even playing the fying games in the arcades are great just to see the horizon and get a feel for it. At least you did pass the test and chose to reatke it which is cool.

- Brian

Mcaf

Dave,
What is the deal with form one and form two? Do you get a choice or is it random? I'll be taking the test in a few weeks. I do well in math and mechanical type stuff, but I'm pretty bad on the English side of the house. If I have a choice what should I do? Any comments about the reading sections. Thanks.

Dave Shutter

There are two tests, forms 1 & 2, don't ask me why. You start with 1, re-test with 2 and so on. They record which test you took last and give you the corresponding test when you go again. I guess they have different tests to prevent re-testers from cheating or something. I don't really see how anyone could. It's not like Math class in college when you sit down and look over the test the next day and see the correct answers and what you did wrong and what you did right.

(OC) Shutter SNA, 47 days to Poopie week!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/10/2001 22:18:54

spidrwmn

Dave,
While I have your attention, I was wondering : How much math did you take in college? Algerbra, Calc, etc? I will be taking a refresher course next semester before I retake my algebra course the following semester, and I am nervous because that will be after I turn in my application. My original recruiter didn't think that would be a problem. Any thoughts?

- spider

Dave Shutter

Having taken a pointy headed liberal major in college I was only required to take two maths so I limited my suffering to Algebra I and Stat. There's talk of Calc and Physics on the test but honestly if your solid in those subjects I took (I'm not anymore) and word problems then you should do great on the test. I remember having seen every type of problem on the test before except for some Geometry and Trig' which I've never had.

BTW: One of the Senior Chiefs working at the office at the time I re-failed the test didn't officialy tell me I couldn't re-test (they can never refuse to re-test you BTW!)but said in a very nice manner that until I had taken an additional or refresher math course that my coming back was really pointless, I had done that badly.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/16/2001 12:02:17

Status
Not open for further replies.