• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB=ASVAB????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is the ASTB the same test as the ASVAB? ....AFOQT? Are these names for the same test?

AG7412

Neg.
ASTB is the NAVY/MARINE/CG Test for Officers
ASVAB is the test for enlistment in all branches of service
AFOQT is the Air Force Officer Qualification Test

chickenhawk

If the ASVAB were the same as the ASTB I would have my pilot slot right now! Buy the ARCO book and study the spatial apperception and get a college algebra book and study your math. You do well in these two areas will increase your score.

So... the ASVAB is a general test that all US military branches recognize, but the other tests are more specialized in nature?

Silencer

what did most people make on their asvab? A naval recruiter called me today saying I made a 55...he said the average was like 32 so I guess thats pretty good.

jason12

i got an 87 when i took it depending on what branch you're takin it for....i took it for the army and i think i remember hearing a 55 or better qualifies you for just about every enlisted job there is..i could be wrong

JayManC

its been a while since I took it (HS). I wanna say that I got high 70's and the Navy kept hounding me for the Nuke test. I wanna say 99 is the top mark.

<insert something witty here:>

mbeaser

The ASVAB is a standardized test graded on a Bell Curve, the score that you are given is a percentile. The average is 50 and you cannot score higher than a 99 because there is no hundredth percentile. I'm not entirely certain how exactly they combine the different portions of the exam (ex mechanical, math, etc) to get the overall percentile. If you get a good score they will hound you for nuke forever. HTH,
Missy, IT1 USN
Hopefully NFO after I grad next spring

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah I only took the little pre test one that you take in the recruiting office. I scored high 70's and all of the recruiters immediately turned too my attention. they said that on the normal test i would probably score between 5 and 10 points higher and that the Navy has a ton of jobs too offer me.

It was only after I took this and proved to them I wasnt some dead beat, did they schedule an appointment for me to speak with the officer recruiter. and they also could send me out the door without at least a couple of Nuke brochures.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any tips on taking the ASVAB? Are there any ASVAB books or study guides that you would recommend? When should I take the ASVAB?

jason12

the same company (ARCO) that makes the ASTB test guide makes one for the ASVAB as well, check a bookstore near you, they should have it or at least be able to order it

Silencer

I went to my local recruiter today and they made me take some short test on their computer...I made a 77 and they said I would have no trouble with the officers test! What test did I take today? They never really told me, they just said take it to see if I could pass the ASTB.

Goofytallguy

I recently scored a 99 on the ASVAB, and wanted to share a warning for test prep...As far as study guides go, ARCO is the standard and probably for good reason. I would watch out for The Princeton Review... They put out a pretty thick guide with several practice tests and instruction sections. However, I took note of several blatantly WRONG answers in both the instruction and practice sections throughout the book. If you're really confident, buy the book and see if you can spot the wrong answers for extra practice and confidence building, but for anyone who wants to seriously study and imporve their score, I wouldn't recomend The Princeton Review.

Status
Not open for further replies.