• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Assigned Directly After OCS?

CWO_change

Around 6 weeks. But it can vary based on the load down in Pensecola.

You can specify where you want OHARP. Just know your not getting full BAH.

This generally works, but I had an OCS buddy who requested OHARP at NRD New York because his girlfriend lived in NYC and he'd be living with her during OHARP if he got approved there. Because his place of residence was CT, NRD NY turned down his request to OHARP with them and he was forced to report to NRD New England. Now, I'd imagine that more "popular" NRD locations may have this problem, but just something to watch out for.

exNavyOffRec

This generally works, but I had an OCS buddy who requested OHARP at NRD New York because his girlfriend lived in NYC and he'd be living with her during OHARP if he got approved there. Because his place of residence was CT, NRD NY turned down his request to OHARP with them and he was forced to report to NRD New England. Now, I'd imagine that more "popular" NRD locations may have this problem, but just something to watch out for.

One of the stash guys at my NRD encountered this, he was going to get turned down because he requested where his fiance was from, it was approved when he explained he was getting married during his stash time, so he was really going to be doing stash time at the NRD that covered where his wife was from.

swopeful

haze gray is my favorite color.
It's BAH only with dependents during OCS. In the fleet you get BAH, but it's less than with dependents. During OHARP you get partial BAH (~$700 I believe?).

What about OHARP with dependents, and the OHARP is due to needs of the Navy (backed up pipeline) vice personal request?

As an additional perspective, while planning some of this stuff ahead of time is great, stand advised that once you're in Newport, your plans mean absolutely jack shit.

I saw people, especially pilots, that didn't get orders cut at all for days, weeks, and even in some cases months after their class had graduated due to any number of lingering issues, but most often obscure medical stuff. I saw people NPQ'd from flight the night before graduation that came as a complete surprise, and spent months trying to redesignate. I saw people that literally did not have the time to finish all of their screenings at OCS and got stuck their an extra week or two as a result because their class team was a bag of dicks to them. We had most of a class ahead of me get stuck for a week while the Navy dug around for money to send them out. Some people were just late getting orders because they were slow in processing them. In any of the above you end up stuck in Student Pool, which is essentially OTCN slave labor. Depending on your status you may or may not get your commission prior to entering the Student Pool. We had people from early in 2015 still in Student Pool when I graduated in mid 2016.

I also saw approximately 1/4th-1/3rd of all students that went through OCS during my time roll into a lower class, often for reasons utterly beyond their control, including ten year prior service members that were CFL's, prior service members that maxed out PFAs, college football players, and even guys that swam against Michael Phelps. OCS is a really strange place, and any number of stupid things can get you kicked back weeks in the process. Food poisoning, possible illness, injury, a perceived lack of enthusiasm (Fast Cruise), simple DI/RDC whim (RLP), can all wreck your plans. I saw someone have to start over six days before graduation, two people get kicked back 3 weeks in the process two days before graduation, and countless talented, fit, committed people forced to repeat evolution.

Morale of the story: get ready to be flexible, both with your graduation timeline and your post-graduation timeline.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
That's pretty dramatic. My class started 94 and graduated 84 original class members on time. Yes delays can happen, but most get through without any.

That's pretty dramatic. My class started 94 and graduated 84 original class members on time. Yes delays can happen, but most get through without any.

There were certainly classes that for one reason or another had better luck than others. Some of it comes down to class team, with certain DIs intentionally trying to roll people and others trying to get everyone through, some of it simply comes down to timing, and some of it comes down to class makeup. The end of year / start of year classes (16-17-01) have had a much easier time in recent years than others, because they're trying to get people through (especially the sub-nuke classes). In particular, the classes from the end of 2015 got the super softball treatment, with some people getting three, four, or even five RLP re-inspections. Of the classes I saw front to back, most lost about 1/4 of their people, but a couple got decimated. 10-16 started in the 60 range, saw more than fifteen roll-in people from H, and still only graduated like 55 or some such, 11-16 saw over 70 people go through their class, and graduated in the low 50s, and 12-16 got crushed with late rolls - I think they lost 5 or 6 people after 6th week alone. More often than not there were 20+ people chilling in H-Class. Most people forget how many rollins / rolluts they tend to get though, especially if they roll in or out early.

So yeah, I'll stand by my statement. Standby to be flexible.

Outdoorsman

I received my orders a few days before the ceremony, and was told to show up at my command on the following Wednesday. I ended up contacting my ship and took some leave on the way there. Some people had to show up that Monday and were given a plane ticket. Others I feel like are still off screwing around (or maybe they just have way too much free time at Supply School) so it really depends