• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Asking the verboten question of what percentage get jets?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
4: What's my chance of getting Jets out of flight school? (just kidding )

Joking or no... there are people on this board who dont find the 'jet question' funny in the least bit. There have been guys who have been AW members a lot longer than you get put in the penalty box for making this joke.

Full disclosure, I don't give a rats ass. Just giving you fair warning.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Joking or no... there are people on this board who dont find the 'jet question' funny in the least bit. There have been guys who have been AW members a lot longer than you get put in the penalty box for making this joke.

Full disclosure, I don't give a rats ass. Just giving you fair warning.

If someone wants to get pissed off because you want to know what your odds of getting Jets are, then they can shove it. This isn't Helowarriors, or P-3warriors. Get over it. People treat that question like saying bomb in an airport, it's not that big a deal

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
If someone wants to get pissed off because you want to know what your odds of getting Jets are, then they can shove it. This isn't Helowarriors, or P-3warriors. Get over it. People treat that question like saying bomb in an airport, it's not that big a deal

I'm with you all the way on that one. When I was in Bobola's position I wanted to know as well...

Apart from that there are some great 'what %...' jokes to be made on the subject...

I would like to shout that from the top of a mountain... but I dont have a mountain, I have a keyboard, and a computer.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Tell you what, go ahead and make a % joke and see how it works out for you.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, P-3warriors has a nice ring to it, and seeing as how I own the site... :)

It was intended to be amusing. I really don't care what my actual chances are as I know in many respects, it is way beyond my control and that the answer can always be summed up into "it depends". While I have made less than 20 posts, I have read far more than that and I am honestly more concerned with getting selected, THEN making it through OCS, THEN passing my medical requirements, THEN making it through API, THEN making it through the rest of flight school and perform at a level that would put me in a position to influence what airframe I fly than I am with my odds getting a jet. Like I said, I meant it to be an amusing statement, not an annoying one.

I hope that satisfies anyone about to flame me and/or put me in the penalty box.

On an unrelated note:

I feel like this is a quote from a movie but I can't place it. Maybe a Will Ferrall flick?
I would like to shout that from the top of a mountain... but I dont have a mountain, I have a keyboard, and a computer.

also, Go Mavs!

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I didn't get sent to the penalty box, but I took a mighty big hit on rep for making one of those jokes... Do I think it's a big deal? No. But I'm but a lowly 2P in this wide wide world and I know very little.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It's absolutely comical how serious some of these people take that shit.
It is a rule built on a painful history of dumb ass post after post asking this same question over and over again daily. Every wanna-be out there post "his story", asked this question and then got all upset when we tried to explain the realities to them. After we made this rule and started enforcing it, we got rid of this ass pain. Therefore for the sake of the mods sanity, the floggings will continue.

Or to say it bluntly - fuck you if you don't like it, I doubt any of the mods give a shit.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I've been here for a while, and have seen many frequenters get wings on their avatars... I've gotta ask....

Honestly, is the foundation of the distain for the QUESTION an issue of acute egalitarian pissypants-itis (people getting their nickers in a bunch at a percieved insult to their worthless or worthwhile contributions to Naval Aviation from a young buck who doesn't know any better)?

Or is it simply the IDEA that the QUESTION can't be answered definitivelly, previous results don't dictate future performance, and the question gets asked repeatedly?

There is after all, a statistical answer to the question.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been here for a while, and have seen many frequenters get wings on their avatars... I've gotta ask....

Honestly, is the foundation of the distain for the QUESTION an issue of acute egalitarian pissypants-itis (people getting their nickers in a bunch at a percieved insult to their worthless or worthwhile contributions to Naval Aviation from a young buck who doesn't know any better)?

Or is it simply the IDEA that the QUESTION can't be answered definitivelly, previous results don't dictate future performance, and the question gets asked repeatedly?

There is after all, a statistical answer to the question.
I think the SOP and website background information answers it pretty well, and here are the excerpts that either touch on it, or directly answer the reason for the "What are my chances" reaction:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...-Warrior’s-Standard-Operating-Procedures-(SOP)

RULES FOR SUCCESS: (THREAD) (REFs: Message to Garcia and Taking care of monkeys)

The wings by users' names are not some made-up website award. They indicate that this individual has earned the right to wear the real thing. Keep this in mind when interacting with them.
  1. This is not Facebook or MySpace. You will, in some cases, be interacting with people who will be far senior to you if you have the privilege of serving in uniform. We strive to keep this a laid-back environment, but blatant disrespect to senior officers or enlisted will not fly. This is a public site, and what you post here can be seen by all who visit and can have real-world consequences regarding your application or future reputation. ADMIRALS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO LURK AND POST HERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
  2. As an aspiring officer, you are going to be expected to display personal initiative. Your mother should not be running down your paperwork, and we are not going to waste our time answering simple questions which have been answered many times in one of the many threads created in the 9 years this site has been online. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. If you still have questions, then chime in and we would be happy to help.
  3. As an aspiring officer, you are expected to have a decent command of the English language. u r not txting ur buddy; if you haven't learned halfway decent grammar and syntax in 12 years of school, and whatever college experience you have, God help you.
Quite a bit of information keeps getting asked, over and over again. And the new user/poster may feel intimidated with the defacto response "use the search function". To forestall the flames that sometimes occur when it's the same question that has been asked weekly since the dinosaurs roamed, the various "Stupid Question/Mega-threads" were introduced to allow newbies or as it has turned out, anyone including Mods to ask burning questions that Mods feel should be captured in these "learning/reference" threads. The intent is to also provide protection from flames as the "Stupid question" threads are sanctuary from same by definition (ie there are no such things as a stupid question). Their popularity has spawned other Mega-threads.

BACKGROUND: We have found over the years that new posters to Naval Aviation are very curious and tend to create threads faster than a M16 in full auto and the temptation to ask the verboten "What are my chances?". That said, the practice of push back on certain questions is generally no different than what you'll experience in any Ready Room. In that fashion, AW serves a "Virtual Ready Room" or rock tumbler to smooth some of the rough edges on a newbie's quest to a cockpit.

COMMON QUESTIONS: The following are a few examples of questions that are no longer funny, and will generally result in you getting made fun of: