• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A's or C's in Kingsville

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Different strokes for different folks, I personally uncage it each pass, gives me a little warm fuzzy about what the winds doing for me, plus I hate looking at the ghost vector.

Let me know how that works out when you're actually behind the boat. And Hud limited. At night. In the weather.

I too know guys that use VV placement to get them in the ball park, but they're all 4.0 ball flyers, not training command studs. It's a tool the experienced guys use, not a crutch for new guys. Ball, line up, aoa is all you need to remember, or even be thinking about.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Let me know how that works out when you're actually behind the boat. And Hud limited. At night. In the weather.
The difference between what you're talking about.....ie behind the boat and at night with "ideally" little to no crosswind.....and what I'm talking about....bouncing during the day...not at the boat...with the pretty standard 5-10 knots of crosswind that we typically get...are two different things. If there's no wind...it doesn't get uncaged.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The difference between what you're talking about.....ie behind the boat and at night with "ideally" little to no crosswind.....and what I'm talking about....bouncing during the day...not at the boat...with the pretty standard 5-10 knots of crosswind that we typically get...are two different things. If there's no wind...it doesn't get uncaged.

So you use aoa for aircraft speed / pitch, ball for vertical guidance... and you just spot your line up or do you have something seperate for that?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

:icon_rollYou're right, I'm wrong, excuse me while I go beat my head against the wall.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Yeah, you might as well have a different habit pattern for each set of circumstances you encounter. Or not. Do the same thing. Over and over and over.... Habit patterns, man.
Agreed . . . gives you something to fall back on when the "oh crap it's a big grey boat" feeling kicks in.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'm classing up July 19 in Kingsville, VT-22 in the A. Anybody else classing up then?

I'm approaching midstage in 22 right now. What do you want to know? For your class listing, go look at the big board in Wing 2 stucon. They should have everybody in your class listed there, but be warned, most classes are like 4 guys so I bet you're the only one posting on AW.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
So you use aoa for aircraft speed / pitch, ball for vertical guidance... and you just spot your line up or do you have something seperate for that?
For lineup, just continually put extended centerline underneath "Jim and the Twins". At 3/4 mile and beyond, the centerline can look a little 2-dimensional so good gouge is to scan the top of the angled landing area and centerline, forcing that intersection to make a right angle. Also, looking at the back of the boat for lineup tends to make new guys fly towards where they are looking... not a good thing with a 60ft wall of steel.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
airgreg,

I had to laugh when I first read your sage wisdom because, while it's good advice, without wings it seemed a little funny that a fellow student would be giving trap advice. Tell the webmaster to give you some wings!

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I had to laugh when I first read your sage wisdom because, while it's good advice, without wings it seemed a little funny that a fellow student would be giving trap advice. Tell the webmaster to give you some wings!
"You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair..."

I'm sure I'll be a "student" until I make Admiral, but at least I didn't tell them to use the ILS for lineup during the day.;)

Wings request being sent up the chain.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Shit, that ILS is money during the day. I do the same thing though, put the center line right between the legs. Now if I could just stop staring at the wires and look at the ball more.