• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Arrested after getting accepted to OCS, but before heading out..just read.

juantonsoup

I'm in a weird situation. I just got Pro Rec y for SNA a few months ago. A couple of days ago I was shopping and as I was leaving I was surrounded by the police and arrested, they brought me to the store's security room where I was identified by a security person as a shoplifter. I had no idea what the hell was going on. They searched me and my car and found nothing. I was accused with stealing a $350 Gucci pair of glasses (larceny over $250, a felony). I did have a pair of glasses on me, but they were my own pair of glasses that I had on my head the entire time and definitely not Gucci, more like convenience store brand. I told them to let me see where they had me on video stealing the glasses and they wouldn't, the cops then brought me to the station and booked me. I was arraigned the next morning.

I haven't met with a lawyer or prosecutor yet, but I did tell me recruiter about it and he said we had to do a waiver. Does anyone know what will happen to my OCS spot, are they going to take it away from me? What about my security clearance? This is the first time I have ever gotten into legal trouble and I am unfortunately in it because of power hungry mall cops, being at the wrong place wrong time, and because I am sure I match the typical shoplifter description. Please focus on the question at hand, the facts are what they are and I don't want this to turn into a "there's something you're not telling us" or "cops shouldn't have arrested you" type of talk. I really didn't do anything. I just can't believe I might lose my whole career because of this and I will have to deal with it being on my record even when it gets dismissed (there's no way they can convict me for something I didn't do). Advice?

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Get an attorney. Don't say a word to police or prosecution. If your recruiter says to cooperate with the police, get an attorney quicker. Yes many will sat if you disnt do anything wrong, you don't need one and just coperate. But I would say they shouldn't have arrested you if they didn't have some sort of evidence. You are going to spend a couple of grand , but unles they call saying sorry, all charges dropped, I would spend the money. Better than not having an attorny and being pressured into screwing yourself. or grab the first greyhound to canada. Good luck keep us posted

jmcquate

Contributor
What Pags said. If what you wrote is true, it should get thrown out. A little advice.........try not to be "at the wrong place at the wrong time".

juantonsoup

Check PM.
I checked PM and didn't see anything from you, then again I don't really use the site, I joined way back, but have barely been on here.

Thanks to those who have replied so far, but I am looking to get CONCRETE advice on the Navy side of things, I will work on the legal side with my lawyer. I find myself in a situation where speculation just won't do it.

-and for the future yes, what I wrote is the truth.

Renegade One

None
I checked PM and didn't see anything from you, then again I don't really use the site, I joined way back, but have barely been on here.

Thanks to those who have replied so far, but I am looking to get CONCRETE advice on the Navy side of things, I will work on the legal side with my lawyer. I find myself in a situation where speculation just won't do it.

-and for the future yes, what I wrote is the truth.
Just sent…like 5 seconds ago.

azguy

None
Does anyone know what will happen to my OCS spot, are they going to take it away from me? What about my security clearance?

I don't get the attitude dude. No one on here can deal with the specifics as well as your recruiter can. Do exactly what he says.

Good luck on the "waiver" for a brand new felony conviction. Good luck getting any other job making above minimum wage with a felony tattooed to your forehead. These guys aren't fucking with you -- there is one way to fix this. Get the charges dropped quick.

I'm sorry this happened to you - if it's as you wrote, that really sucks. Don't waste time on AW. Get a good attorney and beat this. If (as you hinted) you think you were a victim of racism, call the ACLU and get their help too.

exNavyOffRec

so to piggy back on what has already been said, get a lawyer.

Did they take the glasses? I can tell you from experience (spent some time as on-call deputy) if we were called due to a shoplifter the item in question was taken as evidence and photographed, if they did this to you I would like to see them explain how a pair of knock offs were enough to get you arrested.

On the USN side unless you can get this dropped, you are done, especially with a felony, and even if you can get it dropped you are going to face some questions.

juantonsoup

so to piggy back on what has already been said, get a lawyer.

Did they take the glasses? I can tell you from experience (spent some time as on-call deputy) if we were called due to a shoplifter the item in question was taken as evidence and photographed, if they did this to you I would like to see them explain how a pair of knock offs were enough to get you arrested.

On the USN side unless you can get this dropped, you are done, especially with a felony, and even if you can get it dropped you are going to face some questions.

Oddly enough, the police didn't take the glasses they gave them to the security at the store (after the accused me of ripping the tag off, of course) I do remember them taking a picture of the glasses and it should all be on camera. I truly don't believe that a DA can convict me because there's cameras everywhere in that store so it would should I didn't take anything. I am looking to get this dropped, but as I said it is still going to show on a background check and clearance that I was arrested, even when I get the charges dismissed and record sealed I will have to disclose it. My main concern is will the mere fact that I was arrested, even if wrongfully, be enough for them to take away my Pro Rec Y and make me have to go through the whole process again? That would seriously stink!

@azguy - Didn't think I had an attitude, just more concerned with this. I am really reluctant to say this happened to me because of my race, all they said was I matched the description. To be totally honest, I don't want race to be a factor in it at all.

exNavyOffRec

Oddly enough, the police didn't take the glasses they gave them to the security at the store (after the accused me of ripping the tag off, of course) I do remember them taking a picture of the glasses and it should all be on camera. I truly don't believe that a DA can convict me because there's cameras everywhere in that store so it would should I didn't take anything. I am looking to get this dropped, but as I said it is still going to show on a background check and clearance that I was arrested, even when I get the charges dismissed and record sealed I will have to disclose it. My main concern is will the mere fact that I was arrested, even if wrongfully, be enough for them to take away my Pro Rec Y and make me have to go through the whole process again? That would seriously stink!

@azguy - Didn't think I had an attitude, just more concerned with this. I am really reluctant to say this happened to me because of my race, all they said was I matched the description. To be totally honest, I don't want race to be a factor in it at all.

you need to call a lawyer first thing tomorrow, and get him on this, the quicker he shreds their case the better, it won't be cheap in the short term but it will benefit you in the long term.

FYI, nothing is ever sealed from the US Gov't, I was amazed at what would show up on checks.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:rolleyes:
Please focus on the question at hand, the facts are what they are and I don't want this to turn into a "there's something you're not telling us" or "cops shouldn't have arrested you" type of talk.
Mr. juantonsoup, it is definitely UNCOOL to make your first post on AW, a request for help, then dictate what you don't want to hear!!!
Get an attorney. Don't say a word to police or prosecution. If your recruiter says to cooperate with the police, get an attorney quicker.
Speculation, or some honest well intentioned advice?
Lawyer up.
Speculation? NO, advice.
What Pags said. If what you wrote is true, it should get thrown out. A little advice.........try not to be "at the wrong place at the wrong time".
Speculation? No, advice!

Your style of asking for help is arrogant, so lotsa luck...:rolleyes:
BzB, OUT

jcj

1. Everyone on this board is trying to help you - so ears open & mouth shut.
2. Get the best damn lawyer you can get, and get him/her right this second - do everything he/she says exactly when he/she says do it - probable advice will be to STFU NOW! - do it.
3. Good on you for keeping your recruiter in the loop - but from now on anything you say to anyone about anything get's OK'd by your lawyer first. Even talking to family - don't do it (it you have a spouse you might be able to talk to him/her - check w/ lawyer).
4. Stop posting here until it's resolved. If a prosecutor wants to see what you've posted, they need a computer & internet.
5. If this is really a misapplication of justice and you are exonerated, it won't necessarily be the end of you & the navy - but you'll need to think how to not let that happen next time.

good luck

juantonsoup

:rolleyes:
Mr. juantonsoup, it is definitely UNCOOL to make your first post on AW, a request for help, then dictate what you don't want to hear!!!

Speculation, or some honest well intentioned advice?

Speculation? NO, advice.

Speculation? No, advice!

Your style of asking for help is arrogant, so lotsa luck...:rolleyes:
BzB, OUT

To be honest, I am not exactly sure what it is I am doing to be accused of arrogance and having an attitude. I am also not sure what you're trying to accomplish and what you're post is trying to accomplish. I simply wanted to be forward with what I expect out of answers because from some of the threads I've seen most responses don't seem to be well directed at the issue at hand. This forum was designed for people to help each other and not put each other down, something you should know considering you've been around a while. I didn't realize I had to start listing off all of my stats in order to get an answer to my questions as you would have. If by arrogance you mean that I am asking straightforward questions, then I am arrogant. Although, I must say it is a little hard to convey emotion over the thread.

I posted on this site not for legal advice, but for advice on how to proceed on the Navy side of this dilemma or if well known members have heard of someone getting arrested after Pro Rec Y, but before reporting. I realize my recruiter will know the best way to move forward, but I suppose I was just looking for some sort of answers to give me some peace of mind even though I know this won't be a short resolution (sort of how people constantly post about getting news whenever boards are coming up). I am well aware I need a lawyer, I have one I just have yet to meet with him because this happened 3 days ago (over the weekend).

@NavyOffRec Thank you, I will try to double time meeting with the attorney.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Dude, talk to your recruiter and get a lawyer. You have not one, but TWO recruiters (former and active) telling you what to do. Enough wasting time on AW.

It's like me posting "It stings when I pee, what should I do?" instead of going to the Doctor and getting professional help.