• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army WOFT

exNavyOffRec

The girlfriend is moving to Miami...is there anyway I can go through this program and live/ fly with the army there?

This is almost as good as "I want to join the Navy but don't want to go deploy"

Don't we have an Army base on the beach in Miami, the one where they can keep up with their tans.

Justin P

Thanks Lawman. I'm sure there are at least Army Guard, or reserves or something other than Camp Blanding in Florida.

I definitely want to deploy. I'm not sure If I want to float around on a tin can for then months though.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks Lawman. I'm sure there are at least Army Guard, or reserves or something other than Camp Blanding in Florida.

I definitely want to deploy. I'm not sure If I want to float around on a tin can for then months though.
If you are applying for the USMC that is one thing you might be doing though, we just had an ARG that did a 10+ month deployment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

No one is asking you to, but to ask if you can train in Miami is just plain silly. You'll go to Rucker along with everyone else. Then you can go to your unit (whatever and where ever that may be). If you're trying to do a Guard gig, you'll need to work with the unit during your accession process. You don't just pick the Guard out of flight school (unless the Army is drastically different than the Navy and AF).

Lawman

None
No one is asking you to, but to ask if you can train in Miami is just plain silly. You'll go to Rucker along with everyone else. Then you can go to your unit (whatever and where ever that may be). If you're trying to do a Guard gig, you'll need to work with the unit during your accession process. You don't just pick the Guard out of flight school (unless the Army is drastically different than the Navy and AF).

It works the same way in the Army as your side of the house.

If he wants to join a Guard unit though, good luck buddy. Guard units hire from within typically. Think about it, why would they waste money on some guy off the street they know nothing about when they can pick a locked on young enlisted guy who has "earned it" in their opinion. Biggest thing with the Guard is that is individual state money that they spend sending you to flight school. That means up too two years of you sucking up a slot and if you waste it (as many I saw did) and fuck up to get sent home, there is hell to pay. So while it never hurts to ask, your definitely setting yourself up for the steeper climb trying to go guard just to stay in a state for what is essentially ass your not attached to legally.

If you seriously dont have a relationship that could weather the test of time and distance over something as easy as flight school, that what good is she when you deploy (oh and you will). So Id say its time you either re-evaluate your desires in the military or re-evaluate your relationship. And there are lots of girls around every Army base that are dying to be your new girlfriend.

hobbstc

None
Well I'm a Florida Guard guy. Went enlisted, then Guard OCS at Blanding for a fun 16 months (one wkd a month deal), then MI school, Asst S2 for the past 2 years at the Avn Bn, and now I'm in flight school. Currently in instruments. We have two locations for FLARNG Aviation. The Bn is a Cecil Field in Jax. 1-111th Makos. The other is in Brookesville, FL near Tampa. We have one board a year, usually in February. We do not to street to seat. If you want to apply, you need to be either in a commissioning source (OCS, ROTC) or be enlisted and go for one of the WO slots. Not trying to burst any bubbles, just giving it to you straight. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

KiowaDriver

Now a Hooker....
None
As for the holds lately, I had six months after WOCS (its now down to about one), 2 weeks from BOLC to SERE, 2 weeks from SERE to IERW. I had a month from selection until 58s started. Some guys selected hawks and only had two weeks. Luck of the draw I guess.

And 50Ft AHO at 80kts with the doors off cant be beat.

alwyn2nd

Anyone planning on seeing an Army recruiter regarding the WOFT program, they need to take a copy of the article mentioned below. Recruiters usually attempt to discourage WOFT applicants because they don't have a clue on the selection process or the high selection rate for civilians. They need to see the FY2011 69% selection rate for civilians in writing from the Aviation school house. In fact after reading the article, you have a better chance as a civilian than if you enlisted and dropped your packet. The article can be found on http://www.quad-a.org/images/pdf/Magazine/Dec2011/Reese_1211p12.pdf.

Unfortunately as of 16 Dec 11, per USAREC msg 12-052, the College Loan Repayment Program (CLRP) has been suspended for OCS/WOFT applicants.