• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Warrant Officer seeking Inter-Service Transfer to Naval Aviation

KingAirGuy2017

None
Im an active duty CW2 in the Army currently flying C-12’s. I’m interested in an inter-service transfer to the Navy and am looking for some current information with regards to the path for a commission. A friend of mine is currently an aviation detailer and his perspective was that because I am not an RLO that it wouldn’t be an inter-service transfer but I would need to go direct to a recruiter and start from the ground up. I’m familiar with what I would need to do on the Army side but unsure how to proceed on the Navy side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V/R,

KingAirGuy2017

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Recruiters can’t work CWO’s into OCS programs. The program authorizations specifically state we (recruiters) cannot submit prior or active commissioned officers.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. Would this guy have to ETS and then apply? Just curious.

KingAirGuy2017

None
RUFiO181,

Thanks for the quick reply. That was my understanding and why I haven’t been to an NRD yet. Do you happen to know a POC who might be able to answer some questions or a regulation that may cover my situation? Everything I have come across on the BUPERS website only covers RLO’s interservice transferring into the Navy, no guidance on WO’s (not that I expected to find anything).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Interesting. Would this guy have to ETS and then apply? Just curious.

We can't work prior or current commissioned officers, period. Even if he happens to be out.

RUFiO181,

Thanks for the quick reply. That was my understanding and why I haven’t been to an NRD yet. Do you happen to know a POC who might be able to answer some questions or a regulation that may cover my situation? Everything I have come across on the BUPERS website only covers RLO’s interservice transferring into the Navy, no guidance on WO’s (not that I expected to find anything).

Your best bet would be the Aviation Community Manager where you can ask those kind of questions:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/ocm/Pages/default.aspx

My guess is that you're SOL.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had two former Army CWO's go through API with me and I know of others, have things changed in the past few years that there is no longer an option for them to get into the Navy?

For the OP, another option might be to look at the Coast Guard. While I understand it has gotten a lot more competitive in the past few years they had/have a program for IST's to include Army types.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
What specifically are you trying to do? What platform did you fly? You can get into the reserves with no OCS, so long as you have a degree, throw on butter bars and gold wings with no training or anything. There is a process to do this, however, it's limited to one squadron that I know of.

exNavyOffRec

RUFiO181,

I had several Army WO pilots contact me due to our NRD covered an Army base, they all wanted to try to IST, we gave them the info to the aviation OCM and my understanding is they just weren't needed. I would do what Flash recommended at look at the USCG

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Im an active duty CW2 in the Army currently flying C-12’s. I’m interested in an inter-service transfer to the Navy and am looking for some current information with regards to the path for a commission. A friend of mine is currently an aviation detailer and his perspective was that because I am not an RLO that it wouldn’t be an inter-service transfer but I would need to go direct to a recruiter and start from the ground up. I’m familiar with what I would need to do on the Army side but unsure how to proceed on the Navy side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V/R,

KingAirGuy2017

We have an active duty IP in my primary squadron who was an Army helo guy who transferred to the Navy. If you would like, I could ask him how he did it and get back to you?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
USCG DCA is likely the best bet with well established accession criteria and lots of gouge!

KingAirGuy2017

None
Flash,

I’ve looked into the USCG DCA program and it is a very clear path with a lot of guidance(not to mention I know a few guys who have left my community to do it in the last year). Unfortunately, I don’t have any interest in the USCG.

fc2spyguy,

I would like to IST active duty to active duty hopefully with no break in service but would also consider moving to the Reserves if it was the right fit. I am dual rated RW/FW and qual’d in a few different variants of the C-12. I do possess a bachelor’s degree. Can you pass along the info on that squadron?

FLGUY,

I would greatly appreciate that. Any info helps.

I’m willing to start anywhere from an aircraft qual down to OCS and all the way back through flight school. My age might be a kicker. I’m 31. From what I understand I can start from the ground up in the reserves all the way up to 35 but age waiver for AD flight school is only waiverable to 29. Big thing I’m unsure of is whether that applies since I am already a winged aviator in another service.

Judge Q

Judging You
I’ve looked into the USCG DCA program and it is a very clear path with a lot of guidance(not to mention I know a few guys who have left my community to do it in the last year). Unfortunately, I don’t have any interest in the USCG.

Your loss. I'd sell a kidney to fly for the Coasties, then again, that'd probably DQ me.

More seriously, can I ask what's stopping you from even trying CG DCA, given that it's easily the best set up program for what you're trying to do?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Unfortunately, I don’t have any interest in the USCG.

It might be your only choice unless you're happy staying as an Army CWO Pilot. Flash and FLGUY might know former Army who made the change, but what they did 5+ years ago might not be allowed/applicable/possible nowadays.

Myself and @NavyOffRec work/worked in recruiting areas that have major Army bases and get calls from Army Officers/CWOs all the time wanting to go Navy. Only thing we could do is refer them to the Aviation OCM and to let us know if they were successful. At least for me, I would never hear back.

Last edited:

KingAirGuy2017

None
It might be your only choice unless you're happy staying as an Army CWO Pilot. Flash and FLGUY might know former Army who made the change, but what they did 5+ years ago might not be allowed/applicable/possible nowadays.

Myself and @NavyOffRec work/worked in recruiting areas that have major Army bases and get calls from Army Officers/CWOs all the time wanting to go Navy. Only thing we could do is refer them to the Aviation OCM and to let us know if they were successful. At least for me, I would never hear back.

I have no issue remaining an Army CWO but my dream is to be a Naval Aviator one day. For me personally, I wouldn’t leave the Army for the CG.

I will definitely give a call to the OCM and I will let you know what they say one way or another. Thanks for the link, I had been to the detailers page and looked through there but being unfamiliar with Navy personnel lingo I didn’t know the OCM was the department I should be talking to.