• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army to Navy OCS

SpaceApe29

Am I the only Active Duty Army guy to ever try to commission in the Navy? NOBODY knows who is supposed to, on the Army side, sign my DD Form 368 (Conditional Release). I know I can cross over as it is going from enlisted to Commission, I checked the regulations for both services, but all it says is "Unit Commander" for the form. Who signs it?

Any former Army guys please share your experience and guidance on this matter. If I wait until I ETS I'll be too old for SNA or NFO. I am willing to wait until ETS for SWO or Intel, but I'd love to fly or ride if I can.

Thank you in advance.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Am I the only Active Duty Army guy to ever try to commission in the Navy? NOBODY knows who is supposed to, on the Army side, sign my DD Form 368 (Conditional Release). I know I can cross over as it is going from enlisted to Commission, I checked the regulations for both services, but all it says is "Unit Commander" for the form. Who signs it?

Any former Army guys please share your experience and guidance on this matter. If I wait until I ETS I'll be too old for SNA or NFO. I am willing to wait until ETS for SWO or Intel, but I'd love to fly or ride if I can.

Thank you in advance.

The conditional release should be signed by your commanding officer. At least, that's who it needs to be presented to. Whether or not he/she signs it...

SpaceApe29

The trouble I'm having is that I have MANY commanders and each level doesn't know what to do about the form. Right now I'm trying an O-6 level and seeing how that goes. Anyone else from other services who had to do this?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
The trouble I'm having is that I have MANY commanders and each level doesn't know what to do about the form. Right now I'm trying an O-6 level and seeing how that goes. Anyone else from other services who had to do this?

I don't know Army chain of command, so sorry if I'm talking out my ass. That being said:
You should only have one "Commanding Officer." It seems to me things could get pretty messy otherwise.
Who is the first person in your chain of command with NJP authority over you?

SpaceApe29

My Company Commander, A Major O-4, is my first line of Non-Judicial Punishment authority. He says he doesn't have the rank to sign it and then our paperwork guys started treating the form like it was an Army form and started getting silly with it. The best answer they can come up with is our Commander of Operations Group, a Colonel O-6. If not, I'm prepared to take it all the way up as high as I can fling paperwork at my level.

Nah, you're not talking out your rear, it really is good advice. I'm just wondering if I'm the first to do this or is it extremely rare?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Let's try this way: What unit are you assigned to? Who's the Commanding Officer of that unit?

Your case is far from unique. I did Navy reserve officer recruiting for 5+ years, and saw plenty of conditional relaese forms, although most were for Navy enlisted. I did process a few applicants from the Army and Air Force, however (Guard and reserve units). It's too bad you're not getting more support from the officers above you.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Let's try this way: What unit are you assigned to? Who's the Commanding Officer of that unit?

Sounds like something is lost in translation. Here in the Navy, we're used to having one Commanding Officer, who's usually an O-5 in command of the ship/squadron/sub, etc.

In the Army, Company Commanders are often referred to as "Commanding Officers" of that company, even though they report to the Battalion CO.

Nonetheless, I would guess that your company commander should route that to the Battalion S1 who will run it through the Battalion XO, then to the Battalion CO. If this isn't right, I really have no idea what's going on.

SpaceApe29

My S1 is telling me to take to the Brigade Commander (Colonel O-6) so we're trying that. I'm sure I'm the first one in my unit to do this. This is my last piece of paper before the board next week.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It was 1981 and I was in the Army Reserve not active duty, but my company commander (Captain O-3) signed mine.

SpaceApe29

My company commander (a Major O-4) has never seen a DD 368 before, not many people try this so I understand. I'd like to open a whole new thread and ask a moderator to "sticky" it when I get this done detailing what paperwork goes where on the Active Army side to Commission in the Navy. I can't be the only one to do this and most recruiters will just tell you to get out (which IS easier). I still have 4 years left as I signed the big (6 year) contract a few years ago to pay off the massive debt I had to go into moving from Germany to Louisiana and with 3 kids and no real home to go back to I cannot afford a break in service. Plus after my ETS I'll be too old to try for NFO.

It's not like I'm trying to get out of anything, I just want to come back home - my father was a Naval Aviator. I only went Army because my grandpa was in the Army and he had just died when I was of enlisting age.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Space Ape,
From my limited first hand experience on the processing side of the transfer process, the 0-6 level SHOULD be as high as you need to go. Regarding age, have you checked what the age limit is for SNA and NFO if you have active duty time under your belt? The way I do the math, if you were of enlisting age, I make that ~18. 18+6=24. That should still be good, especially because I think SNA age wavers for previous active duty can still be got. *

As for being one of the first, you are a rarity, to be sure. More than any other service, we get Marines trying to shift over. **

*Then again, that's some guy you've never met giving you his opinion over the internet
** That's based on my own observations as well, no hard numbers to back that up.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Have you thought about asking about the DD 368 in the Coast Guard forum? ISTR it is part of the paperwork for USCG DCA program- not exactly the same thing you're asking about, but a lot of guys who go DCA come from the Army.

SpaceApe29

Jynx - I asked, it's 33 so I'm still good for a while. I'm turning 30 next month so if not here then when I PCS to a new post then I'll try again. I really like my recruiter as he is the first Chief that is willing to see this situation through that I've run across. I checked COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1131.2C CHAPTER 2 and the whole Army 614 series and yes the Navy can take me but there no regulation on the Army side that says yes or no on the issue. Your post is a big help since I asked that question and it is waiverable until age 33, I thought it was up to 30. We shall see but it's getting close to the deadline for this board.

Jim - Never thought of that, thanks!