• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army to Navy experience?

hello everyone,

Was anyone previously enlisted in the army and used a conditional release process to join navy ocs? I have met one person who is helping me based on their past experience, but I am getting a lot of pushback from career counselors regarding the 4187 and 368 forms telling me I cannot do that when there is a reference AR 635-200, that says in black and white that you can. I am just trying to meet others that may have had issues like this or done this process before that can help provide insight or guidance to help make this smoother, any help is appreciated. thank you.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What kind of push-back? While putting together your packet might take a number of months, your S-1 will complete the 4187. As for the 386, I thought your navy recruiter requested that form. Understand, I could be wrong about the 386 and others here will set you right, but I would challenge any pin-wearing “career counselor” to prove that getting a conditional release “can’t be done.”

Post retention, brigade retention and brigade legal are saying I can’t. The AR 635-200 and people at the military personnel division say I can. Other people that previously went army enlisted to navy OCS all day that I can. The 368 is signed by myself and the recruiter and sent up. Battery and battalion signed it. It is just brigade saying no bc they aren’t understanding. I’m being told I need to be out as in off my contract to go to another service. Then I ask them about the regulation and they say oh I don’t know about that. No shit, that’s why I included it in the n my packet with the 368

TyKing

pilot
hello everyone,

Was anyone previously enlisted in the army and used a conditional release process to join navy ocs? I have met one person who is helping me based on their past experience, but I am getting a lot of pushback from career counselors regarding the 4187 and 368 forms telling me I cannot do that when there is a reference AR 635-200, that says in black and white that you can. I am just trying to meet others that may have had issues like this or done this process before that can help provide insight or guidance to help make this smoother, any help is appreciated. thank you.
I went from Air Force to Navy. I just got a DD368 form signed by my commander, he was an O-5. If you are already separated from the Army but you're in IRR, just contact who ever handles IRR and asked them to signed a Conditional release. It shouldn't be a big deal.

First and foremost, I would get with a recruiter, they can get you a DD 368 started and you just need to route it at that point.

TyKing

pilot
Post retention, brigade retention and brigade legal are saying I can’t. The AR 635-200 and people at the military personnel division say I can. Other people that previously went army enlisted to navy OCS all day that I can. The 368 is signed by myself and the recruiter and sent up. Battery and battalion signed it. It is just brigade saying no bc they aren’t understanding. I’m being told I need to be out as in off my contract to go to another service. Then I ask them about the regulation and they say oh I don’t know about that. No shit, that’s why I included it in the n my packet with the 368
I have no idea how the Army works, but you only need your DD 368 signed by your Commander. After that you can just submit your packet to the Navy. It may have to be an O-5 and above though, mine was an O-5. Per the Department of Defense, once you have been accepted to another service's commissioning source, it doesn't matter what the Army says, they have to let you go.

My commander had an open door policy, I just set up an appointment with him and had a face to face conversation about why I was switching over to the Navy and why I wanted to be an Officer and how the process works. After that I routed my DD 368, with my supporting documents, up my chain of command and he signed it. It should be that simple but then again it's the Army, I hope it works out for you.

I went from Air Force to Navy. I just got a DD368 form signed by my commander, he was an O-5. If you are already separated from the Army but you're in IRR, just contact who ever handles IRR and asked them to signed a Conditional release. It shouldn't be a big deal.

First and foremost, I would get with a recruiter, they can get you a DD 368 started and you just need to route it at that point.
So I have spoken to a recruiter and have everything handled minus the 368. They just don’t want to push it through bc they don’t know the process. They are unfamiliar with it so don’t want to do the research. Luckily, I was able to get the S1 officer a major to agree to getting is signed bc it was finally broken down into a way he could grasp it. Apparently if someone lower ranking speaks to someone they don’t listen? This civilian explained the same exact words as I did.

So I have spoken to a recruiter and have everything handled minus the 368. They just don’t want to push it through bc they don’t know the process. They are unfamiliar with it And don’t want to do the research. One person actually told me that I had to get out of the army and then join the Navy OCS. He had said that the regulation I asked him about, 635 Dash 200, was a DOD regulation and did not apply to the army it only apply to every other branch. I then asked him why it says Army regulation then? He did not have a response but just proceeded to tell me that I could not do it.

Last edited:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
  1. Go to your 1SG and push up the chain like hell.
  2. Get time in front of the BN CO and ask (respectfully) to push it up to...
a). BDE1 and if they don’t listen
b). BDE CO

Brigade retention shouldn’t be touching this unless they are saying “Good work!”

Question: It, looks like you are in FA, is that a shortage MOS?

1. Go to your 1SG and push up the chain like hell.
  2. Get time in front of the BN CO and ask (respectfully) to push it up to...
a). BDE1 and if they don’t listen
b). BDE CO

Brigade retention shouldn’t be touching this unless they are saying “Good work!”

Question: It, looks like you are in FA, is that a shortage MOS?
My thoughts exactly! I do not know why retention or BDE legal was even involved. However, finally was able to talk some sense into the BDE S1 OIC. Apparently they just kept reading the part about being released with documentation proving I was excepted. However, they kept refusing understand that the 368 is not actually releasing me right away and that it allows the recruiter of the other branch to continue the process. once they understood that I cannot be excepted without a signed 368, which is needed for the board, they agreed to push it up to be signed by BDE CO. I am not sure if it is a shortage MOS. There is a lot of new people showing up to the unit though, a lot due to PCS/ETS. If the navy OCS does not work out, then ill persue Army OCS. I like the ability to choose my job prior to leaving for the NAVY, as opposed to the army giving you options to choose from based off a merit list.

I have no idea how the Army works, but you only need your DD 368 signed by your Commander. After that you can just submit your packet to the Navy. It may have to be an O-5 and above though, mine was an O-5. Per the Department of Defense, once you have been accepted to another service's commissioning source, it doesn't matter what the Army says, they have to let you go.

My commander had an open door policy, I just set up an appointment with him and had a face to face conversation about why I was switching over to the Navy and why I wanted to be an Officer and how the process works. After that I routed my DD 368, with my supporting documents, up my chain of command and he signed it. It should be that simple but then again it's the Army, I hope it works out for you.
I wish it was only that simple for me here in the Army. It shouldn't be this difficult, but people are just unfamiliar and refuse to learn about it. may I ask what DOD reference or guidance you speak? only one I am aware of is the Army regulation 635-200 chapter 16-2

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
My thoughts exactly! I do not know why retention or BDE legal was even involved. However, finally was able to talk some sense into the BDE S1 OIC. Apparently they just kept reading the part about being released with documentation proving I was excepted. However, they kept refusing understand that the 368 is not actually releasing me right away and that it allows the recruiter of the other branch to continue the process. once they understood that I cannot be excepted without a signed 368, which is needed for the board, they agreed to push it up to be signed by BDE CO. I am not sure if it is a shortage MOS. There is a lot of new people showing up to the unit though, a lot due to PCS/ETS. If the navy OCS does not work out, then ill persue Army OCS. I like the ability to choose my job prior to leaving for the NAVY, as opposed to the army giving you options to choose from based off a merit list.
Good news. You would know by now if you were in a critical MOS. In any case, you have it order now. They navy can continue your application and the army won’t release you until you have orders from the navy.