• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army rated pilot to Navy fighter questions.

Notanaviator

Contributor
False. We had a dual designator Pilot/Flight Doc filling a pilot slot in our squadron. Flew in combat with him many times. Though I did habitually tease him about needing the right seater to pull the trigger in case of HARM employment, that was not a requirement. :)

Brett, I hate to break it to you, but that guy definitely couldn’t be an effective EW pilot... “do no HARM” is, like, rule one in the Hippocratic oath. Not sure why Hippocrates was meddling in SEAD/DEAD tactics, but there it is.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Brett, I hate to break it to you, but that guy definitely couldn’t be an effective EW pilot... “do no HARM” is, like, rule one in the Hippocratic oath. Not sure why Hippocrates was meddling in SEAD/DEAD tactics, but there it is.
The doctor was doing no harm, the missile did the harm.

OK, just kidding, but the Hippocratic Oath relates only to the care of people in the field of medicine, not “do no harm” no matter what or when. Any legal restrictions are held only within the Law of Armed Comflict where medical doctors (like chaplains) are considered non-combatants. Even then, the “rules” allow them to carry and use weapons “in defense of themselves and their patients.” If a medical doctor is also a rated military pilot they can fly and shoot all they want - and the enemy can do their best to shoot that person down and treat them as an enemy combatant if captured.

The broader truth is that the kind of war we are thinking of is over for the time being. If you are captured on a modern battlefield your status is meaningless. Doctor, nurse, chaplain, or snake-eater…you are already dead and it is just a matter of how that death is filmed for social media.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The broader truth is that the kind of war we are thinking of is over for the time being. If you are captured on a modern battlefield your status is meaningless. Doctor, nurse, chaplain, or snake-eater…you are already dead and it is just a matter of how that death is filmed for social media.
Usually these days, but maybe not. Don't forget about Durant's captivity- Aidid chose to follow those rules of POW treatment because he wanted to have a seat at the table with world leaders and not be just another warlord. Like him or not, he had a pretty good sense of diplomacy, armed conflict, and power.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Usually these days, but maybe not. Don't forget about Durant's captivity- Aidid chose to follow those rules of POW treatment because he wanted to have a seat at the table with world leaders and not be just another warlord. Like him or not, he had a pretty good sense of diplomacy, armed conflict, and power.
Excellent point.