• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army pilot to Naval Reserve?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I have a feeling I know who that was. Sorry.
It was 2007 time frame. After telling him about my HSL experience, he told me he would call back. He never did. I called back 3-5 times and never got a live person or a call back.

The Navy's loss. Army's gain.

-E-

Dustoff,
I would call the squadrons directly and ask them when their next drill weekend is, then go visit. You will get the answers you are looking for with a face to face discussion with the guys running the selection boards. There are many people who have made the transition from WO to LTJG in the reserves, so don't let that worry you too much. It's a long process, but it's possible. Shoot me a regular email and I can give some POC's for any of the Helo Reserve Squadrons. eric.danielsen@gmail.com

60dude

This seems like a perfect place to ask for help!

I'm a recently HSC 85 PSB selectee and currently an active duty Army WO. My recruiter has no idea how to deal with a active duty applicant, let alone a Army one. I'm lost when it comes to what I'm turning in paperwork for and what I'm waiting on to get into the Navy.

I know very few things (story of my life):
1) I'm turning paperwork for some kind of board, DCO?
2) Once approved I will wait for a scroll date? When, how often?
3) Once I get my DD214 from the Army, can I sware in directly after, not before, correct?

I would appreciate any insight on this.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
It's been done. The Warrant I knew came in as an Ensign...there were some serious misgivings from the established Navy Sel-Res, not necessarily towards the individual, but towards higher for bringing in someone so junior (regarding rank)...the argument was the guy had no shelf life, which they were very jealous of since they were mostly senior O-4's and O-5's who never applied to command boards, developed themselves professionally with either JPME/Masters or deployed in their careers (ever) and were beginning to feel the heat for not having done any of those things. Also there was concern that the Navy would love the idea of comparibly cheap labor, open the flood gates, and then bump all the aforementioned disgruntleds out the top sooner than they were prepared. Add in the fact that this guy was going to get to fly all the way to 20 without ever having to put in for a waiver or hit the apply board and there was some resentment built up. I was uncertain how to receive this guy, too. However, his pilot resume was above criticism: lots of combat time, very professional. His ability as an Instructor Pilot was also very good. In the end, he was an asset, not a liability. BUT...there's an argument to be made for mentorship towards young Navy Officer Aviators...he acknowledged this openly. He couldn't tell you the first thing about the "fleet". Is this big deal? Meh... He could talk the talk and walk the walk as an Aviator. AND as long as you still have strong Navy presence and don't dilute the waters too much, not a factor in my mind. Things he had working for him: an impeccable career and very likable personality as well as a RCC that wanted this to happen probably more than the service member in question. I believe the "process" took him almost 2+ years because there was no process...he jumped through an A$$load of hoops...possibly even a metric $h!t-ton.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Does the original poster want to be an officer or an enlisted member of the Navy Reserve? I imagine it would affect his chances quite a bit...

60dude

Hey guys, here's another brain buster:
Does my Army Flight pay clock continue in the Navy Reserves?
What about the so called bonuses for pilots that the Army so willingly decided not to offer to their pilots?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It's been done. The Warrant I knew came in as an Ensign...there were some serious misgivings from the established Navy Sel-Res, not necessarily towards the individual, but towards higher for bringing in someone so junior (regarding rank)...the argument was the guy had no shelf life, which they were very jealous of since they were mostly senior O-4's and O-5's who never applied to command boards, developed themselves professionally with either JPME/Masters or deployed in their careers (ever) and were beginning to feel the heat for not having done any of those things. Also there was concern that the Navy would love the idea of comparibly cheap labor, open the flood gates, and then bump all the aforementioned disgruntleds out the top sooner than they were prepared. Add in the fact that this guy was going to get to fly all the way to 20 without ever having to put in for a waiver or hit the apply board and there was some resentment built up. I was uncertain how to receive this guy, too. However, his pilot resume was above criticism: lots of combat time, very professional. His ability as an Instructor Pilot was also very good. In the end, he was an asset, not a liability. BUT...there's an argument to be made for mentorship towards young Navy Officer Aviators...he acknowledged this openly. He couldn't tell you the first thing about the "fleet". Is this big deal? Meh... He could talk the talk and walk the walk as an Aviator. AND as long as you still have strong Navy presence and don't dilute the waters too much, not a factor in my mind. Things he had working for him: an impeccable career and very likable personality as well as a RCC that wanted this to happen probably more than the service member in question. I believe the "process" took him almost 2+ years because there was no process...he jumped through an A$$load of hoops...possibly even a metric $h!t-ton.

There is a lot more backstory to this - very little with being a warrant officer. His credentials were solid.

The stick in the craw was that North Whiting and South Whiting have roughly the same number of aircraft and the same number of active duty personnel, but NSE has literally twice as many reservists as NDZ. These billets were not being using back in the day at South and temporarily loaned under a gentleman's agreement to North Whiting - but never came back when South Whiting SelRes became full, thus causing a loss of multi-STAN qualified IP's at South. South Field has been frustrated by this for over a decade but was told to shut up and color - the billets are not coming back.

Last edited:

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
There is a lot more backstory to this - very little with being a warrant officer. (mmmm....I wouldn't say that...just sayin') His credentials were solid. (Absolutely...I said as much too.)
The stick in the craw was that North Whiting and South Whiting have roughly the same number of aircraft and the same number of active duty personnel, but NSE has literally twice as many reservists as NDZ. These billets were not being using back in the day at South and temporarily loaned under a gentleman's agreement to North Whiting - but never came back when South Whiting SelRes became full, thus causing a loss of multi-STAN qualified IP's at South. South Field has been frustrated by this for over a decade but was told to shut up and color - the billets are not coming back. What you said regarding the NSE vs NDZ billet swaps is true and I heard a lot of noise on that issue, but I don't recall hearing much of that regarding the service member in question or his arrival. Everything I heard was pretty much as I stated it...just less intensity, which included several conversations with the actual service member and the disgruntled. There was a real concern he was going to pave the way for more to follow...