• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Officer to Naval Officer - Feasible?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Cheers all. The Marines are the only one at this point that are at least willing to send me to NAMI. The biggest personal hurdle would be if I'm going to be good with losing my existing commission and rank to start from the bottom again at a new OCS program. At the risk of sounding like I'm whining, seems pretty bass ackwards and I'm fighting myself if I'd be a fool to do that.

I really appreciate the advice you guys are offering.
One thing to consider as far as rank: I was told that when the coast guard accepts its direct commissioned aviators from other services, they go back to being an O-2, but apparently they get O-2E pay. I don’t know how that works since i thought the O-1/2/3-E pay was specifically for prior -enlisted- service, hence the “E”, but if If that occurs in that instance, maybe you would go back to being an O-1E in the USMC?

Edit: Disregard. Bad gouge.

Last edited:

MGoBrew11

pilot
One thing to consider as far as rank: I was told that when the coast guard accepts its direct commissioned aviators from other services, they go back to being an O-2, but apparently they get O-2E pay. I don’t know how that works since i thought the O-1/2/3-E pay was specifically for prior -enlisted- service, hence the “E”, but if If that occurs in that instance, maybe you would go back to being an O-1E in the USMC?

Someone correct me if I’m misinformed. I just hope you can benefit from it.
They do not get O2E. It is O2 pay.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
To add, OP will get O-1/2 pay that accounts from your army time.
This actually brings up something that I noticed awhile back; O-1/2/3E pay isn’t what I always thought it was. I always thought an O-3E at 8 years would make more than a regular O-3 at 8 years for example, but they make the same money, the prior would just get to that point after only 4 years commissioned service.

Makes me wonder why they even bothered creating the “prior enlisted pay” section, when the regular officer pay charts would be able to account for the prior enlisted service, via the O-3 over 12/14/16 years pay columns.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It smells funky to me that you'll have to go to OCS again.

I'm not saying that's wrong necessarily, but I'm saying that I know folks who commissioned in other services then came to the USMC and had to do TBS (but not OCS) before going to flight school. Or even had to go to TBS AFTER flight school.

You're already an Officer. You hold a commission. You don't have to earn one again.

Maybe I'm wrong. But- again, this doesn't smell right.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Cheers all. The Marines are the only one at this point that are at least willing to send me to NAMI. The biggest personal hurdle would be if I'm going to be good with losing my existing commission and rank to start from the bottom again at a new OCS program. At the risk of sounding like I'm whining, seems pretty bass ackwards and I'm fighting myself if I'd be a fool to do that.

Not trying to be a dick when I say this but you’re in the IRR… how often are you throwing your rank around with your name these days? My guess is about 0. And an O2 is basically just as worthless as an O1, but the newness has worn off. Good news is if you go down that road you’ll be an O1/O2 in flight school and be an O3 right around the time you’re arriving at your fleet squadron.

Three things working against you in your quest.
1) Age
2) Medical history
3) wanting to fly without wanting to be a Marine first… As an institution, the Marine Corps is pretty ass backwards, but superior in every way (in their own mind). Just get used to the idea now that everything you’ve done in your past was all fucked up because of your “Aren’t Ready to Marine Yet” background.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Now I’m confused. I can’t imagine a condition that is medically disqualifying in the USAF being “good to go” with naval air. I suppose the OP could lie about it, but that seems a lot harder to get away with these days. So, unless you just really want to join the Corps (and there is nothing wrong with that) why go to the trouble? You have a commission, you can do any number of satisfying jobs (in the reserves/National Guard or on active duty) and continue flying as a civilian working toward the airlines (I’m assuming that is a goal). From the impossible distance of the interwebs I have a “feeling” that the door to military flying is closed to you and you are chasing something that can’t happen.

Trust me, I know it is painful, but there comes a time when you have to move on to other things. But in any case, I do wish you the best of luck.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Now I’m confused. I can’t imagine a condition that is medically disqualifying in the USAF being “good to go” with naval air.
It does happen. The USAF has different uncorrected vision requirements than NAMI, (or at least they did when I joined) and I know a guy who failed the USAF color vision test, but passed the Navy one. I assume there are many other examples, albeit potentially within minutia.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Hope you really like eating crayons (USMC joke).