• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Officer to Naval Officer - Feasible?

Vlado

It smells funky to me that you'll have to go to OCS again.

I'm not saying that's wrong necessarily, but I'm saying that I know folks who commissioned in other services then came to the USMC and had to do TBS (but not OCS) before going to flight school. Or even had to go to TBS AFTER flight school.

You're already an Officer. You hold a commission. You don't have to earn one again.

Maybe I'm wrong. But- again, this doesn't smell right.

I am really curious about this as well. I realize the answer has already been stated that OCS is a must for the Corps regardless of prior commission, but was it always like this historically? I've read similar anecdotes to Swanee's on less credible online message boards than here before and can't find an answer. What exactly happens to the already held commission?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It smells funky to me that you'll have to go to OCS again.

I'm not saying that's wrong necessarily, but I'm saying that I know folks who commissioned in other services then came to the USMC and had to do TBS (but not OCS) before going to flight school. Or even had to go to TBS AFTER flight school.

You're already an Officer. You hold a commission. You don't have to earn one again.

Maybe I'm wrong. But- again, this doesn't smell right.

If this is coming from a seasoned OSO, as in, they did the research and found the “by the book” answer, I don’t think the OSO would be trying to play games with the OP.

From my experiences in navy recruiting, the marine corps will baseline all training regardless of background, including if you have a prior/current commission or not.

I once dealt with a ENS in the IRR who commissioned as a SSO (merchant marine) via the US Merchant Maritime Academy. At the time of service selection he didn’t want to choose a military branch so he stuck with the SSO route. When he graduated / commissioned had a change of heart and wanted to go active duty navy / aviation.

His dad was friends with then - RDML Meier (PERS-4) and then - RDML Jeff Hughes (CNRC) at the time, both of which weren’t able to pull the strings and get him to become a 1390. His one and only chance was at USMMA in which he already made his choice.

The kid ultimately found an opportunity with the marine corps and from my understanding had to do OCS before “earning” a commission (again).

VMO4

Speaking historically, there have been times the Corps was flexible on TBS being required. My father was a MARCAD in 1961, he went to Pensacola for a version, for lack of a better term , as AOCS, it was about 16 weeks of "pre flight", a mix of OCS and pre flight academics. Upon completion, you went into flight school as a cadet, getting your commission after you got your wings, about 18 months in his case. He never went to TBS, but for motivation, if you DOR'd or failed out, you went straight to basic enlisted infantry course as an E-1.

number9

Contributor
I just graduated from ODS and there was at least one former Army officer in my class who successfully completed Army OCS...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If this is coming from a seasoned OSO, as in, they did the research and found the “by the book” answer, I don’t think the OSO would be trying to play games with the OP.

From my experiences in navy recruiting, the marine corps will baseline all training regardless of background, including if you have a prior/current commission or not.

I once dealt with a ENS in the IRR who commissioned as a SSO (merchant marine) via the US Merchant Maritime Academy. At the time of service selection he didn’t want to choose a military branch so he stuck with the SSO route. When he graduated / commissioned had a change of heart and wanted to go active duty navy / aviation.

His dad was friends with then - RDML Meier (PERS-4) and then - RDML Jeff Hughes (CNRC) at the time, both of which weren’t able to pull the strings and get him to become a 1390. His one and only chance was at USMMA in which he already made his choice.

The kid ultimately found an opportunity with the marine corps and from my understanding had to do OCS before “earning” a commission (again).

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. I have just seen folks commission in the USMC from other services without having to go to OCS. I don't know the specifics behind their stories and how their process worked. Perhaps they were all magic interservice transfers at a time when the USMC needed them.

I mean, Gen Amos never went to OCS or TBS, and he became Commandant :eek:.