• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army O-3 enlists in the Marine Corps

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, not sure he thought this one through. If I was on a board for E to O accessions, I'd have a lot of questions.

Wish him the best of luck, but I couldn't imagine being an Army captain in your mid to late 20's and doing this...I guess he'll be the dude who gets all the beer for the barracks though.

If he wants to be an infantry officer he missed the boat. Perhaps this was his best and only shot.

However, we all have some regrets in life, and have a bit of a mid career crisis. Why didn't he just do the normal officer thing and get really into bourbon and smoking meats, and just enjoying life.

I hope he enjoys where he's going. He'll probably get picked up on an enlisted commissioning program pretty quickly, seeing as how infantry officer is his goal.

Seems this young guy was really born too late.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
More power to the man, I can respect that he has the guts do do it but he has no idea how miserable they are going to make those three months.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
More power to the man, I can respect that he has the guts do do it but he has no idea how miserable they are going to make those three months.
You think the boot camp staff is going to make his life -extra- hard for his prior service? That’s fairly petty for people in leadership positions.

And do you think that his future infantry unit is going to equally dislike him off the bat? Why wouldn’t they say “Damn this guy is willing to start over and level with us?” Genuinely curious.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You think the boot camp staff is going to make his life -extra- hard for his prior service? That’s fairly petty for people in leadership positions.

And do you think that his future infantry unit is going to equally dislike him off the bat? Why wouldn’t they say “Damn this guy is willing to start over and level with us?” Genuinely curious.

I think that if he pulls his weight and doesn't let his past give him a chip on his shoulder, and can assimilate into his new life he'll be fine. I think the DIs are going to test that. As they probably should.

GroundPounder

And the temptation to question the decisions of the 2ndLT in charge of you…
I bet he gets " actually, when I was in the Army we...." PTed out of his vocabulary real quick.

I think that being older and more mature would help in some ways, but he's going to really have to fight through spending a Saturday painting stop sign posts because BG Cockentoast is coming to visit.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Yes it is, and yes they will. I'm honestly surprised anyone in command approved this request.

It may be irrational, but man is an irrational animal. This guy is "different" (age, prior service at a HIGHER rank), and people will have trouble understanding why. That is likely to lead to some level of social resistance for a multitude of the usual (irrational) reasons: Jealousy, confusion, and the fact that teenagers will generally find any reason they can to belittle and pick things apart. The DIs will likely be more professional, but are likely to test him in unique ways, due to his unique background.

His attitude will play a lot toward how well it goes from there.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to the article he’s already made it through Crucible and will finish up boot camp this week. Must’ve done ok with the DIs.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I think that if he pulls his weight and doesn't let his past give him a chip on his shoulder, and can assimilate into his new life he'll be fine. I think the DIs are going to test that. As they probably should.
I think testing him to ensure he assimilates is probably for the best, as not meshing with your peers can lead to bad outcomes, but hazing him or treating him poorly just because he’s different is the thing we as a service are moving away from, no?

I could see this devolving into a petty “let’s haze the former O because we had bad experiences with Officers in the past” situation. On the other hand, if he becomes a “wHeN i WaS aN OfFiCer” or “bAcK iN tHe ArMy” type, then that is worth of being figuratively beat out of him.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
That's an interesting question. Probably depends on the luck of the draw, I guess.

From a 180 out perspective, I went through OCS with a Gunnery Sergeant. The instructors gave him the business at first, and then pulled their punches for the rest of the time, as they knew he knew the game.

Great dude. Went on to be an F-18 WSO.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I bet he gets " actually, when I was in the Army we...." PTed out of his vocabulary real quick.

I think that being older and more mature would help in some ways, but he's going to really have to fight through spending a Saturday painting stop sign posts because BG Cockentoast is coming to visit.
Yeah, the boot camp staff is probably lower on the pain scale for him. It's potentially going to be that salty Corporal in the barracks,when he gets to the fleet. As others have said though, it depends on how well he integrates with his peers.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Too bad they don’t have an IST option to retain your commision but reset grade to O1 2Lt and reset time in grade clock to 0 months.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here

Best thing the man can do is keep his mouth shut about his prior service and be the gray man. Thanks to the publicity he seems to have already lost that option. They will put the pressure on him through his first phase of training before they step back to see how he is fitting in. That's what seemed to work for the prior service guys in my platoon..
The DI's have it down to science for seeking out individuals and square pegs for extra attention.
I was not infantry so I can't even give a point of view on what his reception is going to be there.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
He’ll be able to tell the 18 year olds enter their terminal lance careers - “Boy, I actually knew Chesty Puller when he was a corporal!”