• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army National Guard to Naval Aviation?

Pedrom123

Hey I am a National Guardman who has completed a tour of duty in afghanistan and am slated to get out in December. I will have finished my bachelors with a non technical major by May of 2011 and I am getting PRK next month. Other than that does anyone know what else might be able to help get a slot as either an Aviator or a NAval Flight Officer in the Marine Corps or NAvy? And does my previous Military expirience give me a leg up ?

Devil Duck

I think you'll discover that the Navy typically looks at the whole person. That is each applicant is evaluated in totality. I don't think being prior service in and of itself will be a determining factor in selection. Rather, it may aid in demonstrating experience. I don't think military experience will do much to overcome low ASTB scores, GPA, or less than strong recommendations. It's in you best interest to complete your degree with a high GPA, rock the ASTB and get the best recommendations as possible.

I'll allow my aviator brethren to opine.