• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Enlisted to Navy OCS

PhillipC

I was just curious if there were any other Army guys out there who transitioned to the Navy by the means of OCS, or if anyone went to OCS with prior Army guys and how their/ your experiences were? I'm currently a SSG/ E-6 in the Army trying to switch over. Was OCS difficult for you? Was it difficult to switch from a Soldier mentality to a Sailor mentality?

Renegade One

None
Good question and I hope you get some meaningful replies from others who've gone the same route. I would just opine, however, that as a SSG, you'll probably find OCS a walk in the park compared to the great unwashed who will make up the bulk of your classmates. You already know the military basics cold, save perhaps the Navy Officer's sword manual of arms. :)

My experience is obviously dated (VN era), but in my timeframe we had a lot of ex-Army warrants (helo pilots) who went through OCS for the chance to fly Navy jets. They were a cut above from day one. I don't think you'll find much difference, mentality-wise, but I'll be interested to see what kind of replies you get.

CWO_change

I went to OCS with two prior Army guys; one was a prior with 6 years service who took some time off after separating from the Army and applying to OCS, while the other left the Army to attend OCS. They struggled just like everyone else on certain things, and, overall, their prior military experience helped them to stand out in a good way.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
There was a Staff Sergeant in my OCS class. He was a total ass that few liked, but he graduated without rolling. He also failed one inspection while many of us unwashed didn't fail anything.

Just don't be a jerk.

PhillipC

I'm not the type of person to have the mentality that "I've done this shit before" because I haven't. From what I've seen and heard the Army and Navy are very different, and I have never attended an OCS. I also have never been a jerk, so if that's the best advice I get, then I appreciate your comment, but it helped me in no way.

exNavyOffRec

I'm not the type of person to have the mentality that "I've done this shit before" because I haven't. From what I've seen and heard the Army and Navy are very different, and I have never attended an OCS. I also have never been a jerk, so if that's the best advice I get, then I appreciate your comment, but it helped me in no way.

As a CPO I will tell you what RUFIO said needs to be said, you may not think so but that is one of those things every prior needs to be told, it will apply not only in OCS but in the fleet as well. I have seen several officers that took the "I have done this before" or "I am prior enlisted" attitude and it never ended wll for them some quicker than others.

One thing you need to understand that there are things that E-6 and below can do (or more specifically not do) that doesn't raise to the level of them going to NJP but can get you and your Chief in hot water.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Read this as well. I'm not saying this is you, but as a prior you have a ways to go/learn.

https://jorules.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-prior-dilemma/