• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Aviation?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
From my Army ROTC friends, I hear that aviation and the aviation defense (or something) are very difficult to pick up because of the amount of people who want it, and the amount of flying billets there are (see 2ndGen's post).

Is Air Defense really that awesome?

MrFreakinKite

I appreciate all of the advice. Hats off to the Army Pilots, but I think Navy sounds like it would be better suited. I've lived on the coast my entire life, and I love the water. Plus, I'd be the first person in my bloodline to join the Army (two ringknockin' uncles, and one cousin enlisted).

phrogpilot73

I'd say it all depends on community. MB came from HSL - which is hurting for flight hours. In my community in the USMC, I hit 1000 hours after about 3 years in the fleet, or 5 years total flying time.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Community, and when you join the squadron in its workup-deployment-standdown cycle. Most of your hours come during workup periods on the road (Boat and Fallon) and on cruise. In between boat/Fallon periods on workups, and during post-cruise standdown, nobody's flying, especially you, New Guy.*

Best time to join, hours-wise, is right at the start of workups, or right before cruise. That'll probably give you a cruise and two full workups, or two full cruises and a workup cycle.

That's all assuming your Air Wing is on a good ol' 18-month cycle. Sure wasn't that way the last few years - I did two full workups and a cruise-and-a-half in 36 months, and hit 1000 total hours about 2 months before I left. I've got about 960 E-2 hours.

As always, YMMV.

*edit: except for FCLPs...E-2s usually get the unGodly-hour-of-the-night periods at Fentress for noise abatement reasons, which is always fun

highside7r

None
Kite,
Stay with your first choice and try to track Navy first. Use the Army option second. Squeeze the gouge from here at AW and don't forget the handy, but seldom used "search" function.