• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army ARH (Kiowa Replacement) Cancelled

skidz

adrenaline junky
The Army seems to be making a habit out of canceling high dollar projects and programs. Commanche, Crusader, this, and others.

Stick

pilot
Proof that cost-plus contracts are a bad idea. I am glad that even more tax dollars will be waisted by starting over.:(

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
sucks, and the army will continue to make due with aging airframes. more of the same for the military as a whole.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Army seems to be making a habit out of canceling high dollar projects and programs. Commanche, Crusader, this, and others.

Comanche and Crusader (and you forgot Sergeant York) were cancelled outside the Army chain by OSD after they couldn't get there from here. They also false started on ACS (Navy had stake in it for EP-3 replacement)and ACM (Navy looked for it to replace Hellfire) more recently. Lots of dollars spent with not much to show for it. Not a lot of confidence in Army leading programs these days.

skidz

adrenaline junky
Thanks for the extra info HJ. And yes, not much confidence in the Army's ability to get new things working like they should. I'm surprised their Land Warrior program is still going on. That looks completely ridiculous and as though the whole system was put together without a single input from boots on the ground.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'll agree with the LWS being a ridiculous system. Makes me think of a quote from Starship Troopers which I'm too lazy to actually look up, but it went something like 'you can load a grunt down with too much info, and eventually someone with a big rock will come up behind him and smash his head in while he's reading a display.' Heinlein had it right.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is good and bad news. Bad because the poor Army recce guys are going to have to endure an old aircraft for much longer, and for all of the money wasted on this program.

Good because it is about time that we are holding some of these contractors feet to the fire over massive cost overruns and schedule slippages. I have a feeling that this is probably a combination of the Army being too ambitous with its schedule and capabilites and the contractor promising something it can't deliver.

A cost overrun of 70% and a schedule slip of 4 years, as of right now, is just plain unacceptable. There is a part of me that wishes we would see more of this.

Stick

pilot
A cost overrun of 70% and a schedule slip of 4 years, as of right now, is just plain unacceptable. There is a part of me that wishes we would see more of this.

This is unacceptable. Contractors who fail miserably and this bad should have to repay some of the money they took from the government. The contractors, I assume, already jack up their prices because they know they are going to go over what they predict. Or this is what they should do. But we also need to get away from cost-plus contracts.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Last month they told us we were getting brand new weapons systems for our Kiowas in December...high end machine guns to reduce weight and increase rounds carried. We all looked at each other and said "ARH is cancelled..." Sure enough...