• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army 2LT Army Helo guy to Marines Flight school. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake020

Contributor
Feshy I just think HAL saw a red flag when you talked about going through OCS again. A commission is a commission.

That's right on, that is why they have an instruction on interservice transfer. I think he'd have to do TBS regardless though.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Feshy I just think HAL saw a red flag when you talked about going through OCS again. A commission is a commission. There are many USNA, USAMA and USAFA grads out there who went on to serve in another service.
Chinook you might have a little trouble getting out of your obligation to your state. If your state has an Air Guard unit then that could be an option down the road. You need to finish flight school first. Since you already have a commission, the air guard has no SUPT age requirements. So you could be in your mid 30's and going through SUPT.

How can you give out that kind of information when you haven't updated your profile? I mean come on now...ok you have H-60 pilot on there...but do we really know you rate that kind of advice? (sarcasm emphasized)

Yeah... I really wasn't too serious about the OCS thing....although if it was a requirement...it wouldn't surprise me. And I think we have established TBS is a must.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
then who cares how many years in the fleet he has?

I do. It's a measure of experience and usually a good indicator of whether that individual knows what he's talking about. For that matter, yours has been noted for the record. :sleep_125

Brett

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I know the original poster is asking about the Marines (and yes, I too say everyone wants to be a Marine deep down ;) Brainwashed or not...haha).

That said I know a guy who went ARMY Helo->AF F-16. I don't pretend to know any of their requirements, but I am quite certain TBS isn't a requirement as it is for us. He did have to do flight school, but did well and got his first choice. He was enlisted infantry, said he got sick of walking so asked if he could fly helos, then decided he wasnted to fly jets, so switched to the AF. A question I don't know the answer to is where along the line he got commissioned. From the sounds of it he did that through the Army and flew as an O, not a WO. But I can't say for sure.

But I think some of the army helos are pretty sweet. Not to be a mommy, but think hard before giving that up.

bobbybrock

None
This is actually the path taken by most Army guys who want to fly pointy nosed a/c. It is usually done via the air guard. The commision process is either AMS which is a six week Air guard type OTS or by getting a regular commision thru the IRR in the Army guard then switching over.
In the late ninties the Air Force raped the Army of many H-60, H-64 IP's to fly 60's or 53's. The program was essentially a back door way through OTS. You applied through a different source, I believe the air force rotary wing interservice detailer. I know of close to 20 H-60 IP's who made the switch.
Anyway, a little off subject but if a service needs experience they find a way to get you there. Go to any CG air station and you'll see that in spade with all DCA's.
The question is, is the Corps going give a jet spot to an Army rotary wing guy?My guess is no. They might take you and then send you to the FRS to fly helos.

flyerstud4

Chinook,

I have 2 buddies in the ANG who are going thru UBT right now. ANG squadrons consist of pilots from all backgrounds. For example at the ANG base in Battle Creek, MI(who fly A-10s) there are pilots from the marines who used to fly helos and 18s. So if you really want to fly jets, start applying to guard bases all over the country that fly jets, this way you can stay with the army until you are accepted. Once you are accepted you will fly whatever they fly at the base you were accepted too, if they fly F-16s, you will fly an F-16. I hope that helps.

Side note: if you want to be an officer in the marine corps you must get a commission and go thru TBS. I had army guys in my OCS class but they were enlisted. But more on ya if you want to be a marine, Semper Fi

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I went to TBS with a guy that was commissioned in the Army (active duty) as a Combat Eng for 18 months before his interservice transfer package went through. He did not have to go to OCS but he did (obviously) go through TBS. Picked up 1stLt at TBS and ended up selecting supply.

Not an everyday occurrence but possible.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
That said I know a guy who went ARMY Helo->AF F-16. I don't pretend to know any of their requirements, but I am quite certain TBS isn't a requirement as it is for us.

Know I was funnin' with you on another thread but this was just too good to be true... :) Of course he didn't have to do TBS, that is a Marine Corps specific school... so going into the AF from the Army would not require it... :) again just pokin' fun

sowchinook

Appreciate the input on this subject. Regarding the ANG option. I have checked it out and was told (by two different units),that I am too old to be competetive for jets. 29yrs in Jan. Marines seem to be the most viable option. I can certainly appreciate the "esprit de corps" the marines have. The Army doesn't have such a close knit group. I would enjoy being part of the organization, helos or jets. Talked to an OSO, and waiting to hear back on particulars. Hopefuly being rated , I won't have an age restriction. This is all very premature since I haven't any confirmation that the switch is likely.

Thanks,
2LT XXXXXXXXX
XX ARNG

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Know I was funnin' with you on another thread but this was just too good to be true... :) Of course he didn't have to do TBS, that is a Marine Corps specific school... so going into the AF from the Army would not require it... :) again just pokin' fun

Hence I was QUITE certain. Not even just certain, but a few steps past it. I guess dry humor is a lost art.
:D

sowchinook

chinook, a couple points to ponder:

1) Dont get into the grass-is-greener mentality. You havent even finished flight school yet. How do you know that what you have is not what you want? If you wanted jets for so long, why did you end up in Army flight school? A lot of people would kill for that slot, I hate to see guys taking it for granted.

2) On your profile you call yourself a pilot. 4 months shy of flight school graduation is 4 months shy of the right to call yourself a pilot.

3) Have you ever flown fixed wing? If not, how can you be so willing to throw away a helo job for something you dont have exposure to? If so, ignore.

4) Going back to the grass-is-greener thing. If you are not happy in flight school, you need to ask yourself what is making you not happy about it. IMHO, this is as good as life gets. If you still think you want jets, then heed everyone's advice and contact an officer recruiter. I can't see them letting you go, but you don't know until you ask.

Ok, so 6 years later... If you wondered how it worked out... Took a while but I finally got a job flying jets in the Air Guard. As mentioned already, the Air Guard was the best option to switch to. Reserve component flyers will find it very difficult to transfer a commitment to active duty and vice versa. Thus the Marine option was a no go for a reservist. I'm thrilled with the Air Guard flying community and finally I'm reading Mach on the dials and climbing thru flight levels. It's really an amazing transition coming from flying in the dirt in helos. The transition is as mentioned in previous posts. No big deal if you're already an officer. Getting a foot in the door is the hardest part. It took years of persistence. Going back to flight school is entertaining as well. I enjoyed learning to fly the AF way. It's a whole new world flying in the AF. The only thing I miss is the lack of regulation that is so common in the Army and so uncommon in AF flying. I could go and on about quality of life improvements. For OH-58 Driver: must have missed your helpful post about subjects that you have no actual experience with so listen to someone who does: The grass really is greener, and I did fly civil fixed wing before Army helos which gave me the rite to call myself a pilot. I enjoyed army flight school a lot. It was like year long frat party while getting paid to fly. Was 1st in my class but I was looking for something more challenging. I worked hard for my slot and I never took it for granted and never said I didn't like the army. I just knew I could do better.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For OH-58 Driver: must have missed your helpful post about subjects that you have no actual experience with so listen to someone who does:

Congrats on yor accomplishment! Generally an informative post; except... don't understand your need to drop that 'arrogant' little bomb above after 6 years? You solicited advice and Oh-58D responded and, right or wrong, took the time &-made the effort to help you. A kick in the 'jones, especially so long after the fact, is .... uh, questionable?:confused:
BzB

sowchinook

Congrats on yor accomplishment! Generally an informative post; except... don't understand your need to drop that 'arrogant' little bomb above after 6 years? You solicited advice and Oh-58D responded and, right or wrong, took the time &-made the effort to help you. A kick in the 'jones, especially so long after the fact, is .... uh, questionable?:confused:
BzB

Really? Check my original post and compare 58d's answer.. I'm "soliciting advice" on a Navy/Marine forum about possible transfers and age limits. Was asking for concrete info about making the switch, not a character eval. What was helpful about 58driver's post? Completely presumptuous. Questioning my motivation and credentials while suggesting I'm somehow ungrateful? Show me how that addresses my original post? C'mon! Better late than never. Kick in the 'jones was well deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.