• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Armstron Pull-up program

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Just wanted to thank whoever it was for posting that Armstrong Pullup program, it really worked. Gave myself a max test this morning, banged out 30 with the overhand grip!! Now i just need to shave another minute-thirty off my run-time for that perfect PFT...

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Great work wildflying69. How long did you train to get that many?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

wildflyin69

well mid-febuary I was at 12 pull-ups. You just have to commit to that push-up/pullup routine.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

squatrrs

That's great! I am stuck on 14 and just started the armstrong, so we'll see how it benefits me. I hope it helps. Maybe I can get a little improvement before I leave for PLC combined.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Great program ... I actually cut out the pushups recently because they caused a problem with my shoulder but otherwise it has been great. Just keep an eye on your body and adjust the program if your body tells you too. I am at 22 right now and started in about March at the 14 range. I was always good at pullups though.

Peace,

-Spin

BRM21o

Would it be best to continue doing plams facing me (easiest for me) or start all over and do overhand grip? Thanks.

jaerose

Although I'm Navy, I would say that it would be best to do it in the style you will be required to use in OCS. Palms facing is easier because it allows you to use more biceps, whereas the overhand grip recruits more shoulders and back, but also builds more strength. I like to mix in both, but if you pick one...overhand grip (IMHO).

JR

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I like overhand (palms away from face) personally. My dad went through PLC Jrs & Srs back in the day. He tells me that when he was there the Sgt. Instructors would tell all of them, "if you were to fall of a building, which way would you grab?" Thus, the overhand grip. Plus, more than likely, if you can get 20 overhand, you can get 20 underhand (palms facing towards face). My $.02 for what it's worth.

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

wildflyin69

well, I chose over hand because those are the muscles we'll have to use to get over the obstacle courses, or so I've been told.

jaznups

Here's the link...

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

thor44

I am also doing the armstrong program. Now, I will admit that I only started at 7-8 reps as my max (forehand method). But I am working on it. My question for whoever has done the program all the way through is, how sore/tired should my arms be? I am doing the program exactly as it is writen with no changes but I do not feel like I am hurting (in a good way) as much as I should be. Any help would be appreciated!

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

kevin

THANK YOU!!!! thats bothered me for a long time, and ive seen it so much. now i can finally sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.