• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridiani

I just got off the phone with my recruiter, and I had to vent my frustration with people who understand what I'm going through...

I had PRK surgery a couple of months ago so that I could try for a pilot slot. Well, silly me, I had my physical at MEPS *before* the surgery and got the big medical OK. Fast forward to now--I called my recruiter to find out if she's ready for me to fax my PRK medical records to her. Well, it seems she was just going to submit my application without worrying about that pesky PRK waiver at all.[:(!]
Of course, there would be no way for me to get a pilot slot without the waiver, cuz MEPS tested my vision at 20/400. GRRRR!! This makes me so mad. If I hadn't caught this before she sent the application out, it would have completely screwed me over. Now I wonder if I can trust her at all.

Anyway, enough whining from me. [}:)] Does anyone know if it's possible to get a look at your application before the recruiter sends it out? I'd really like to be able to double check things before it goes.

WFU2USN

Hi Stacy,

As long as your package hasn't gone out yet, there's no reason I can think of that you cannot see it first!! It's your stuff! Besides, your recruiter should have a copy!!

Where are you at?

Good luck!
Robin

FlyFast

I sat right at my REC's desk. Right beside him and he lets me look at everything. Say you would like to check for typo errors or somthing of that nature that can be mistaken. It's YOUR package so you can do as you please, just be open........goodluck

stevew

Stacy,

Do you have any more info about the PRK waivers and the forms the Dr. has to fill out? Is it just a standard post OP eval? As of the summer BUMED just allowed PRK for people with my vision. (Till now your vision had to be under -5.50 in order to be considered for a waiver).

Thanks in Advance

JayManC

anybody considering PRK should really take a good look at alternatives. I had it done 1 November and my vision still isnt looking like its going to be straight. Im supposed to go in from my 3 week check-up and its looking like i had full regression in my right eye (and may need an addition operation), and due to the difference in Rx's im having trouble with depth perception. Personally I wish I would have done lasEk. maybe i wouldnt have half the trouble im having now, and obviously my application will have to wait for three months following to procedure.

<insert something witty here:>

stevew

I was not aware that there is a waiver for lasEK. Do you know where to verify that? Did that Dr.'s tell you what might have caused the full regression?

psrogers

Intel Officer
-lasEk is a variation of PRK, where surgeon dissolves the epithelium, then corrects the cornea= waver accepted

-lasIk is completely different, where the surgeon cuts and folds back a flap of the epithelium, then fixes the hardware= waiver not accepted

*Lasik is the surgery of choice, healing faster, for most civilians, but is not YET allowed by the Navy (at least to new SNA applicants)

-I know this because I tried to get PRK, but could not due to my unstable or continually worsening visual acuity

stevew

Does it matter when you get PRK? Before or after your visit to MEPS. Is there a special post op procedure that the Navy requires that is not normally done, or are there post op visits anyway and that Navy just wants a copy of the reports?

jet_ifr

hey jayman, be patient...after my PRK it took me 3.5 months to see 20/20, and now 6 months later I'm seeing 20/15R 20/12L. Three weeks after the surgery I was seeing only 20/40L 20/30R and was VERY discouraged. my doc said average recovery time for ocular haze and all complications to cease is 6 months. I started using the See Clearly method at the end of month 3 and my vision perked up really quick. you should be fine, good luck!

I fly. Me pilot?

JayManC

there are tons of things that concern me revolving my vision. first my right eye had great vision and my left was screwed up, then i got the contacts out and it completely switched. i wouldnt be concerned if i was at least getting a semblance of decent vision from my right eye. Mike you got that right, that f-ing laser sucks ass, from the time i sat down hearing the clicks and the smell of burnt hair. i took a valium and still had the grip strengthener fully closed the whole time (and didnt even know it). and the days following it were needless to say unpleasant. As for when to have your procedure, i had mine done following MEPS, submission, rejection. Do I think it will enhance my package? undoubtably NO. But i knew that there's no way i would have passed a flight physical with my vision and reading 20/20 like i did at MEPS.

IFR do you have a link to that see clearly method site. I know it was floating around here before but i missed it.

jet_ifr

Jayman,

Here's the link: http://www.seeclearlymethod.com/ It costs ~$280, but you get to try it for 30 days free. Parts of it are bs, like soaking a hot towel over your face after finishing the eye exercises but most of it really helps.

I second your opinion on the pain w/PRK...I had my PRK 7 days after having hernia surgery, I was in rough shape...couldn't sit up or walk very well, was wearing 2 pairs of sunglasses 24/7 and all those meds to put into the eyes hurt. PRK worked for me but if I had to do it again I'd look into lasEk...

Good Luck,

jet

I fly. Me pilot?

psrogers

Intel Officer
was wearing 2 pairs of sunglasses 24/7...lol

By the way, how do you do that thing where you quote someone else from the strand and surround it with the nifty little bars, etc?

JayManC

Originally posted by psrogers
was wearing 2 pairs of sunglasses 24/7...lol

By the way, how do you do that thing where you quote someone else from the strand and surround it with the nifty little bars, etc?

you hit the little "reply with quote" icon in the tool bar

Status
Not open for further replies.