• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ARGGHH! Going to Vance

FLY_USMC

pilot
Completely false. You will know what date you will finish primary when you check into vance. It may not be quicker than whiting or corpus. My buddy finished api one week before me and went to vance. We selected together and thats with me having a two week admin hold during primary at whiting. Another kid started primary at vt2 a week after me and was done in 4 months. No prior flight time either, full sylabus.
I'm sure this has already been said, but you had a 2 week hold? My roommate had 1 month before he classed up at Vance, and then another 4 weeks of essentially API dumbed down over again before he started to fly, so your buddy had the same, I think that constitutes finishing a little faster, the flying at least. I agree it's not in all circumstances, but one thing no one has said is, that, at least for Marines, volunteering for Vance will get you into API before any of your peers, even if they finished higher than you at TBS, easily 3-4 months earlier was the story when I went through. So will you finish quicker than your peer group, undoubtedly. Just don't be that guy who doesn't volunteer to go, waits around the pool for 4-5 months, all the while passing up the "who wants Vance" lecture, and then gets voluntold to go anyways, that's a big waste of time.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Just don't be that guy who doesn't volunteer to go, waits around the pool for 4-5 months, all the while passing up the "who want Vance" lecture, and then gets voluntold to go anyways, that's a big waste of time.

Volunteer so you wont get voluntold to go... interesting philosophy, is that what you did?

Volunteering to go kind of defeats the purpose of gaming not going. Besides, who in their right mind would willingly give up 4-5 months at the beach to deal with the Air Force?

IMO, if you are voluntold to go, suck it up and deal and make the best of it. However, until that time comes, avoid the individual handing out the assignments as much as possible- out of sight, out of mind after all.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just don't be that guy who doesn't volunteer to go, waits around the pool for 4-5 months, all the while passing up the "who wants Vance" lecture, and then gets voluntold to go anyways, that's a big waste of time.

That was a stupid thing to say, and you are stupid for saying it. Volunteer for something you don't want to avoid being volunteered even though it's hardly certain you'll wind up there eventually. That makes the common sense part of my brain hurt.

FLY_USMC

pilot
It was more of my way of saying I met a guy who was in the TBS class AHEAD of me who waited in the pool for 6 months, and then all of a sudden got sent to Vance when he said had he known, he could've volunteered 6 months earlier. I really just wanted to tell that story, but thanks for calling me stupid.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It was more of my way of saying I met a guy who was in the TBS class AHEAD of me who waited in the pool for 6 months, and then all of a sudden got sent to Vance when he said had he known, he could've volunteered 6 months earlier. I really just wanted to tell that story, but thanks for calling me stupid.

Sounds like one of those guys who wanted to stay in the pool a little TOO long without doing a stash job. We had a few of those guys too. They get some of those Vance spots dropped on them in the Lt Office, and they are gonna fill them with people who sat around doing nothing for too long.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
BOMBSonHAWKEYES said:
yeah, like everyone who reads this board. way to go

I don't see why this would piss anyone here off. I understand why the Air Force wants their students to stay in the dorms, but I'm not in the Air Force. I did that part of my training and more at TBS. I don't want to be in there, and if I can do anything to avoid it, without crossing the line, I'll try. Besides I already have all of my furniture and possessions down here in my house, what am I going to do with all of that if I have to live in the "Q"? Is someone going to pay for my storage?

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
My bad...it didn't seem like he was joking. Well even if my storage is paid for, I still don't want to live in the Q and am going to try to get out of it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My bad...it didn't seem like he was joking. Well even if my storage is paid for, I still don't want to live in the Q and am going to try to get out of it.

I don't like having to crap on a toilet that backflows when someone flushes next door, but guess what? They made me do that for over a year. Always remember you volunteered to be here.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I don't like having to crap on a toilet that backflows when someone flushes next door, but guess what? They made me do that for over a year. Always remember you volunteered to be here.
Yup, you signed up for this $hit. :icon_zbee

USMC_NA

hmm....

you'll like the hard work. i think all maritime bubbas do. however, you have to remember that the airforce studs are fresh out of college with no training in leadership what so ever. This is like they're version of boot camp or TBS. So things will seem very unprofessional as far as the way your chain of command and instructors act towards you. Air Force does business very differently. Basically, you won't be treated as a marine officer, but rather as........well how should i put this.......a child. But in the long run, it's no sweat, the pattern in the T-6 at Vance is a rush, or at least I think so. And dude, your acedemics, sims, stand-up ep's, and all that other crap doesn't go into your NSS. You just have to pass. Your score comes from your flying compared to the last 60 maritime bubbas to go through your squadron, so you can focus your time on chair flying your missions, which I have found to be very helpful especially if you have very little experience like myself.

reapergm

I like these Vance posts. Vance is the worst place ever. I would have traded anything to have gone to Corpus or NW. They just do everything different. Different customs, different grading, and no where to go in OK. Being back with the Navy is freakin paradise. The grading is more fair, the work is harder, but the quality of life is 1000x better. But like the earlier post said.. be prepared to be told how much you are going to fail in everything when you return to Navy training. Almost everyone I know from Vance struggled here in the beginning of helo school. And it cracks me up when I see Marines and Navy crying about how much they hate Vance.. bitch around the clock... then get jets and talk about how it wasnt that bad. Im waving the BS flag on that one.