• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ARGGHH! Going to Vance

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Neither of us has any hard facts. Sure, in theory you should be able to go through quickly in either place, however in my limited amount of experience, I have never met anyone who has gone through primary in less than 6 months. Maybe things have changed since I selected back in March.

Almost my entire class finished in less than six months, i selected in july out of vt6. Ask around the hts, plenty of vt6 and 2 guys who were done in less than 6. Like i said good weathe rin the spring equals more X's done. In fact six was completing guys so far ahead of schedule that they had met there quota for navyu guys in july and stopped completing navy guys until the fiscal year. About 12 kids selected on oct 1st. And even those kids were at about 6-7 months with two months of not ever flying.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
So now we're being told we might have to live in the dorms in Vance so the air force can meet their quotas of having their barracks filled to 90%.

This seriously pisses me off.

MasterBates

DO NOT GET MARRIED TO GET OUT OF THE BOQ.

I only say this, because I have seen people do it. And regret it.

No Brett, it was not me.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
RetreadRand said:
DAN THA MAN...as a Navy student they cannot require you to live on base..

I hope that is true, but our CO running the MOC just visited there and said that the Navy is trying to cooperate or help the air force in this area. He said if their barracks are less than 90% filled when we get there, it is possible we will have to live in them. I hope he's wrong.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
When I was checking in, a lot of guys would call and see how close they were to filling up and hold out checking in with the Q. The night shift seemed more responsive to begging. You could also try getting a dog and try using it to weasel out. The Q there isn't bad though; if you want to just take it.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I hope that is true, but our CO running the MOC just visited there and said that the Navy is trying to cooperate or help the air force in this area. He said if their barracks are less than 90% filled when we get there, it is possible we will have to live in them. I hope he's wrong.

Hope all you want, here's how it is:

When I arrived in June there was a memo on file for MARINES (from the Marine liason in the NATU office) that said "Martime military members" were not required to live in on-base housing. And there was a memo from the Base Commander saying "All Air Force Pilot students are required to live in the dorms" unless they were atleast 90% full.

I used the Marine's memo... and had to fight to get it. The ladies at the Q insisted they had no idea what I was talking about until i got the Sergeant from the NATU office to call over. then they magically "found" the memo.

The next day my buddy walked in looking to do the same thing, and found out that someone had gone to the Commander and had him rewrite his memo so instead of saying "All Air Force Pilot students..." it now says "All JSUPT students..."

So the loophole is gone. When you get here, you need to ask to get on "the list" for off-base housing. When the dorms get full, they go down the list and start letting people out. But they don't really notify you... you just have to call once a week or so and see if your turn has come yet. My class leader in 07-15 is currently first on the list... and he got on it in November/December.

My roommate eventually got off-base after living in the dorms for 2 months, but then his BAH was screwed up for another 2 months after that.

If you have any further questions, you can PM me.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Why would they have that 90% rule? Is it so they can say "we are using our facilities so we should get more money?"

I think they do it to make money. Here's why:

If I live in the Dorms, I get 500 Square feet or so... and they take my BAH away from me.

If I live in town, it is SO cheap here... Right now, I'm living in one of the most expensive (and nicest) complexes. I have 1400 Square feet, a two car garage, three bedrooms, they cut my lawn, and it's quiet. I get $606 in BAH and my half of the rent (i got a roomie) is only $325. If I was willing to stay more than a mile from the base, and in a older place... I could find a similarly sized apartment for $300 a month total. Hell, go online and look at what houses sell for out here. They go as low as $7500... yes, $7500. But normally range around $30k - $60K

So, this dorm they're "renting" me by taking my BAH is really probably worth $100 a month. And the government is in effect charging me $606. It's smart economically for them, but I prefer living somewhere where I can fit both a bed AND a couch in my pad.

((PS. You still have to pay for your phone bill, Cable Bill, and Internet bill if you live in the Dorms. And from what I've heard, the concrete/brick/steel construction makes sharing a wireless router among friends and between rooms kinda difficult))

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why would they have that 90% rule? Is it so they can say "we are using our facilities so we should get more money?"

They do it to validate funding for the facility. If they have a facility but only have a 20% occupancy rate, then why should the bean-counters fund the place as much the next year as they did the previous year? So at places like a training command (regardless of service), they'll pad their numbers every so often by making studs stay on base.