• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are there any FAOs on the forum?

mdubs

pilot
Hey guys, just want to see if there are any Foreign Area Officers on the forum that can help anwser questions about the transfer package and also what it's like in their community (i.e. billets, career path, etc.) I have a little exposure to this after doing a staff job, but I'm starting to consider it now that I'm at my 8-year commissioned service mark. Thanks

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just a thread bump to re-ask this question... Any FAO's here? Especially ones that came from aviation?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Just a thread bump to re-ask this question... Any FAO's here? Especially ones that came from aviation?

An alternative is doing a staff tour at a combatant command, particularly working in the J-5. You get to go do pol-mil stuff and then return back to flying. The tradeoff is you don't get the masters nor the language, but if you don't want to give up flying and/or want a squadron command, it is a viable path.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
An alternative is doing a staff tour at a combatant command, particularly working in the J-5. You get to go do pol-mil stuff and then return back to flying. The tradeoff is you don't get the masters nor the language, but if you don't want to give up flying and/or want a squadron command, it is a viable path.
Now, to be clear, this would occur when? Post DH, or disassociated sea tour? Thanks for the reply!

HeloFinch

pilot
Doing a FAO flavored job as a 1310/20 gives you insights into the work and bolsters your lat transfer package should you like what you see. If you're a few years out from your winging commitment and are considering FAO, I'd recommend asking for work that will both keep you more or less on track in your source community (since you may want to stay there, or you may have to promote there until you can switch) and make you competitive for FAO. The FAO community manager is a wealth of knowledge for prospective gains about how to orchestrate the transition.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I never saw any O-3 staff officers at a COCOM - everyone was either an O-4 or O-5.

Doing a FAO flavored job as a 1310/20 gives you insights into the work and bolsters your lat transfer package should you like what you see. If you're a few years out from your winging commitment and are considering FAO, I'd recommend asking for work that will both keep you more or less on track in your source community (since you may want to stay there, or you may have to promote there until you can switch) and make you competitive for FAO. The FAO community manager is a wealth of knowledge for prospective gains about how to orchestrate the transition.

Thank you both. I'm just finishing up first sea tour now and heading to a production flying job; I'll look for something on the back end of that to balance both community needs / wants for a future lat transfer if I'm still interested in 3 years.