• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are stories of the SWO community valid?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
PenguinGal: You're fantastic. Thanks for your part in your hubby's career...and I guess "good luck" with your own Navy aspirations? You're exactly the type of spouse everyone wants in their Ready Room/Wardroom. Enjoy the Monterey Peninsula!

Awww, stop! You are making me blush. :)

I love the perenial "best X inspection seen in X years." Funny how everyone seems to craft award or eval bullets out of their various inspections that read that way. Such bullshit. :D
Ammo is where you find it. Not everyone has the opportunity to put Naval gunfire against Omaha Beach or bomb the bridges at Toko-Ri...

Gotta say that if the Navy is like the civilian world, this BS is everywhere, not just one discipline.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ammo is where you find it. Not everyone has the opportunity to put Naval gunfire against Omaha Beach or bomb the bridges at Toko-Ri...
Yeah, no shit, but if everyone is "the best we've ever seen" then everybody is just average. ;)

Beefalo

I have thoughts about putting in a SWO package (8 years active duty PO1) but after reading this thread and talking to a LDO with a SWO pin im having second thoughts. I like the thought of leading a division, taking a ship to sea, and other naval aspects but the quality of life out to sea and in port, number of watches, leadership stories I hear are giving me second thoughts. He told underway you stand watch, work on SWO pin, manage the division, do whatever underway evolution is happening at the time such as GQ, and repeat. A full nights sleep may only happen every couple days or so. I was stationed on an aircraft carrier and the quality of life for enlisted and officers (least for topsiders and non flight deck personnel) seem to be pretty decent, well as decent as could be for being out to sea with 5000 people.I was going to apply for SWO and AMDO but may just try for AMDO instead.

exNavyOffRec

I have thoughts about putting in a SWO package (8 years active duty PO1) but after reading this thread and talking to a LDO with a SWO pin im having second thoughts. I like the thought of leading a division, taking a ship to sea, and other naval aspects but the quality of life out to sea and in port, number of watches, leadership stories I hear are giving me second thoughts. He told underway you stand watch, work on SWO pin, manage the division, do whatever underway evolution is happening at the time such as GQ, and repeat. A full nights sleep may only happen every couple days or so. I was stationed on an aircraft carrier and the quality of life for enlisted and officers (least for topsiders and non flight deck personnel) seem to be pretty decent, well as decent as could be for being out to sea with 5000 people.I was going to apply for SWO and AMDO but may just try for AMDO instead.

If you don't get picked up AMDO will you regret not submitting for SWO? I ask because AMDO generally has single digits each year, usually around 4, and they like to pick those on AD in aviation rates with quite a bit of aviation maintenance experience.

Beefalo

I was thinking of putting in for AMDO and LDO. I probably have the best shot at LDO and I know I would enjoy being an LDO in my rate. I just hate that the LDO board only convenes once a year. LDO would certainly be my first choice at this point but I have the option of putting in for AMDO and SWO especially since this year's NAVADMIN for LDO wont be released until May time frame.

I would just hate to be picked up for SWO, end up hating it, and kick myself for not going AMDO or LDO. On the opposite end I might like SWO but it seems like a gamble.

The AMDO I stood watch with was a prior submariner so I guess anything is possible.

exNavyOffRec

I was thinking of putting in for AMDO and LDO. I probably have the best shot at LDO and I know I would enjoy being an LDO in my rate. I just hate that the LDO board only convenes once a year. LDO would certainly be my first choice at this point but I have the option of putting in for AMDO and SWO especially since this year's NAVADMIN for LDO wont be released until May time frame.

I would just hate to be picked up for SWO, end up hating it, and kick myself for not going AMDO or LDO. On the opposite end I might like SWO but it seems like a gamble.

The AMDO I stood watch with was a prior submariner so I guess anything is possible.

I knew several that were aviation drops, but recently (past several years) that has stopped, the numbers for AMDO just went down, AMDO is one of just a few designators I never saw anyone selected for, have you looked at the selection percentage for the LDO designator you would apply for? some are quite high.

How much more time do you have before you hit the max age for SWO?

Beefalo

Just turned 29. I did not see the LDO designator selection percentage. I have seen the numbers for each designator on NPC but no percentages.

My commands POD said this upcoming AMDO board has an "unusual high number of billets to fill for AMDO" or something along those lines although I do not know what source they got this from.

exNavyOffRec

Just turned 29. I did not see the LDO designator selection percentage. I have seen the numbers for each designator on NPC but no percentages.

My commands POD said this upcoming AMDO board has an "unusual high number of billets to fill for AMDO" or something along those lines although I do not know what source they got this from.

Well, there are 7 spots for FY13, and 3 are filled, FY14 numbers won't be out for nearly a year.

exNavyOffRec

Well, there are 7 spots for FY13, and 3 are filled, FY14 numbers won't be out for nearly a year.

I was able to get a hold of a friend of mine that still works as an OR and handles many reservist applying for OCS, evidently the same info is floating around reserve aviation units that there will be about 12 selections to be made, however that is not what the numbers given to NRC allow, unless they pick all FY13 and FY14, or the info that was put out was not knowing that some billets have already been filled.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I have thoughts about putting in a SWO package (8 years active duty PO1) but after reading this thread and talking to a LDO with a SWO pin im having second thoughts. I like the thought of leading a division, taking a ship to sea, and other naval aspects but the quality of life out to sea and in port, number of watches, leadership stories I hear are giving me second thoughts. He told underway you stand watch, work on SWO pin, manage the division, do whatever underway evolution is happening at the time such as GQ, and repeat. A full nights sleep may only happen every couple days or so.

Seems like you are more worried about losing a carrier lifestyle than anything else. Everything you said is just life outside a carrier and isn't exclusive to SWOs.

As far as leadership and qualifications, I observed priors and LDOs having the least trouble. They know what they are getting into and encounter the least trouble earning that pin.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As far as leadership and qualifications, I observed priors and LDOs having the least trouble. They know what they are getting into and encounter the least trouble earning that pin.

Unless they drive their car through a coned-off construction zone without stopping while drunk...with their department head in the back seat. That person had 1 hour to get off the ship after Mast concluded. True story.

That's impressive work, in a negligent homicide kind of way.