• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are primary students still going through A.F. primary?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
(I searched and could not find anything newer than 2007)
I'm speaking to the Naval Science class at a college up here on Monday about flight school and Naval Aviation and I'm looking for some up to date info.

Are SNA's still going through Air Force primary?
About how many folks out of an API class go though A.F. primary?

My info from CNATRA did not address A.F. primary at all for SNA's; just some data on joint NFO training.

Thanks everyone.

sanders

I know that Marines are still doing it, so I would assume the Navy is doing it as well. Obviously the vast majority are still doing primary in Corpus or Whiting. Speaking of primary... anyone have details on current wait time after API for Marines?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
As of about a year ago it was roughly 1 student per API class that went to Vance. There are still people here that are classing up for VT-35 that have come FROM Vance, so I would assume that API is still sending people there.

The folks that go through AF UPT also go through the USAF version of API once they get there... so there are basically 2 APIs for those guys. Someone from Vance could answer more indepth.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty sure that if the Navy and Marine Corps stop sending studs to Vance you'll hear about it in the collective squeals of joy coming out of Pensacola. The "cool airplane" argument is no longer valid since Whiting must be swarming with gucci orange bathtubs by now.

81montedriver

pilot
As of about a year ago it was roughly 1 student per API class that went to Vance. There are still people here that are classing up for VT-35 that have come FROM Vance, so I would assume that API is still sending people there.

The folks that go through AF UPT also go through the USAF version of API once they get there... so there are basically 2 APIs for those guys. Someone from Vance could answer more indepth.

Out of my API class there was myself and another Navy dude.

About having to go through 2 API's that's kind of a myth. When you get there and class up you start out in what they call Phase 1. This is an academic phase lasting about a month and a half that combines T-6 ground school with aerospace physiology and land survival. The T-6 is all brand new material for Navy and Marine studs and the majority of the phys and survival stuff is only for the AF since Navy and Marine studs have already done it. So while your AF buddies are in class all day, you probably only have to come in for a couple of hours.

In Phase 1, all of the academic material is through CAI's culminating with a review session from an instructor. If you did remotely well in API, then the exams at Vance will seem like a piece of cake for you. But I would hardly call it a second API.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It was two Navy guys per class when I went through. Ironically, it was touted as the 'fast track' to Primary when I got to Pensacola in February. However, I'm flying in Corpus faster than friends who went to a Vance. Awesome plane? Sure. Worth the headaches I hear about? Not to me.

alpineskier

gear up, Newspaper, your airplane
pilot
I finished primary at Vance about 7 weeks ago. as Far as I know they will continue to send primary studs there. While I was going through it seemed every class had more and more Marine and Navy students coming in. As far as a fast track, its somewhat of a myth. When I checked in I had to wait 6 weeks to class up, then 6 more weeks of academics. Once We started flying it took me 12 weeks total to finish, which is pretty quick.

simple20

pilot
I'm pretty sure that if the Navy and Marine Corps stop sending studs to Vance you'll hear about it in the collective squeals of joy coming out of Pensacola. The "cool airplane" argument is no longer valid since Whiting must be swarming with gucci orange bathtubs by now.

Not true. 3 is the only squadron thats up with the T-6. I think I heard the full conversion will be done in 2012. And 2012 I believe is when Corpus starts the conversion. Its going to be awhile.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
They picked two kids from this week's starting class to go.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not true. 3 is the only squadron thats up with the T-6. I think I heard the full conversion will be done in 2012. And 2012 I believe is when Corpus starts the conversion. Its going to be awhile.

Meh, I'd say it's becoming truer everyday. VT-6 is going to start sending instructors to the T-6 FITU soon (like Dec soon). Rumor has it that VT-6 studs classing up in the March time frame will fly the T-6. VT-2 won't be too far behind them. Most of the west line is T-6's. T-34 CPTs and Sims are disappearing. Many were packed up and shipped to Corpus (and maybe Las Cruces). While we are still flying the T-34, we won't be for long at Whiting.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Meh, I'd say it's becoming truer everyday. VT-6 is going to start sending instructors to the T-6 FITU soon (like Dec soon). Rumor has it that VT-6 studs classing up in the March time frame will fly the T-6. VT-2 won't be too far behind them. Most of the west line is T-6's. T-34 CPTs and Sims are disappearing. Many were packed up and shipped to Corpus (and maybe Las Cruces). While we are still flying the T-34, we won't be for long at Whiting.

If God/CNATRA loved us, he'd replace #13 here...

simple20

pilot

I agree, it will come soon, but not soon enough for many. I still argue that the last t34 pilot is still in college.