• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are Pilots Born?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes, I believe pilots are born, especially the good ones.

Everyone is born, some are just more of a natural than others. You have it or you don't and some have it to a certain degree more. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday of the week. Even good pilots die.

^^ I dunno my friend, but I wouldn't take what a bunch of wannabes who haven't logged an hour in a military/Naval aircraft have to say about this topic that seriously. Before someone flames ME for still being a stud and trying to be salty, I will qualify my statement by saying that I was one of those guys who always wanted to do this, did the civvie flying thing for a good few years, and found in hindsight that things are way different flying in the military than I had imagined. Hard to put my finger on it, but I think jboomer put it better than I can (with a whole lot more experience as well of course). It's a lot more "job" and a whole lot more humbling than I would have thought, and I've learned more about myself, my abilities, my (cockpit) shortcomings, and flying in general in the last year of military flight training than my previous 7 years flying as a civilian combined. Things I would have thought made a good pilot based on my civilian experience do not really jive with what I would list now.

You're up in Meridian? You've certainly experienced enough to know how different it is in our world of flying. I saw some studs with quite a bit of civilian time come through and easily humbled, they just didn't have it or enough of it.

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
^^ I dunno my friend, but I wouldn't take what a bunch of wannabes who haven't logged an hour in a military/Naval aircraft have to say about this topic that seriously. Before someone flames ME for still being a stud and trying to be salty, I will qualify my statement by saying that I was one of those guys who always wanted to do this, did the civvie flying thing for a good few years, and found in hindsight that things are way different flying in the military than I had imagined.

Well my first reaction is to flame you but...I have a strong feeling that by the time most of us Civvies get to where you are we will prolly feel the same way.

In my limited experience tho I believe pilots on some level are masochistic at the best of times. Your love for flying has to help you overcome the pain of flying which even in civy flying the list is long and varied. I was one born to it but I still had many hurdles to leap just to stay in it. I had a natural touch on the stick but I had to work 3 times as hard with procedures and systems. Some people think they love flying until they actually get into a cockpit and hit mental overload for the first time. It all hangs on your dedication and love of the game in the end. Good luck on your decision.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well my first reaction is to flame you but...I have a strong feeling that by the time most of us Civvies get to where you are we will prolly feel the same way.

Good to go with your instinct of not flaming him as a wannabe...you would have been kicked in your e-junk :) Especially a wannabe with that gay avatar.

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
Well theres one in every crowd right? And I guess I'm that guy. And Goku Gay? Its time to rumble :icon_wink.
Even fools like me know when to be courteous if not exactly keeping there heads down. Didn't think "timid" was a desirable quality in wannabe officers.

jed04

I'm a bit curious.

From your profile:

Occupation
USN Contractor

Latest news
“Fixing the Navy one Sailor at a time.”

What does 'Fixing the Navy one Sailor at a time' mean?

Steve

The USN is great at allot of things, CQB and "closing with" the enemy are not 2 of them. I spend the majority of my days breaking the "Gray Navy" paradigm and the rest of it training the few who are willing to listen and execute as instructed. So yes when it comes to ground combat we (my company) are in fact fixing the Navy one Sailor at a time; I hope this answers your question.

S/F
jed04

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
... Goku Gay? ...

WTF is "goku"?

I was one who knew from a young age that I wanted to be a Naval Aviator. I blame it on the Tomcats that I'd always see overhead when I lived in Southern CA.

A few kinks were thrown into the loop - Poor vision, nearly commissioning into the Army as an Infantry officer, etc... But I am absolutely thrilled to be in the position I'm currently in.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well theres one in every crowd right? And I guess I'm that guy. And Goku Gay? Its time to rumble :icon_wink.
Even fools like me know when to be courteous if not exactly keeping there heads down. Didn't think "timid" was a desirable quality in wannabe officers.

Just don't be gay in god's house. So that fairy looking dude in your avatar is called Goku Gay? Figures. What does that mean, go the gay way? Check out Ryan Cunningham's avatar...thats an avatar.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The USN is great at allot of things, CQB and "closing with" the enemy are not 2 of them. I spend the majority of my days breaking the "Gray Navy" paradigm and the rest of it training the few who are willing to listen and execute as instructed. So yes when it comes to ground combat we (my company) are in fact fixing the Navy one Sailor at a time; I hope this answers your question.

S/F
jed04

Do you fix SEALS too? I can see your average sailor needing help, afterall, they are a sailor not a Marine or soldier.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
...and then came the P-3 selection, which pretty much eliminated your reason for joining the service.

Bummer.:D

Now I kill vicariously through other pilots...it's a good arrangement: all the dying, none of the danger...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Apparently I'm being to hard on Goku (Archan7) as this was just sent to me via PM, titled "Respect":

I'm not gay my friend and if you wanna be throwing around those kinda comments PM instead of threadjacking. Thanks.

Lighten up Francis before you take the bench. Not calling you gay but your avatar. Thanks for the heads up about threadjacking too. Anymore comments or concerns?

srqwho

pilot
My question is this, are pilots born? By this I mean did the Pilots on this site (and those still on the road to become) always know they wanted to be pilots? Was there any doubt? I have no doubt that flying would be exciting, but does it get redundant? Any input would be very helpful.

To echo the majority I was/am that guy who is looking up at the sound of anything in the air, and I used to go to air shows when I was younger and get star struck when I saw military pilots and jets. And I definitely was beat, twice, at OCS for looking up at the black hawks and C-130s from the guard base fly over while doing outside chow hall procedures.

Having said that, and remembering that I'm still a ways off from wings, know that the designator of pilot doesn't mean you're going to be flying 100% of your time in the military. Yeah I'm more than thrilled that hopefully one day I'll get to fly one of the jets or helos OR props I've watched fly overhead, but I'm also an Officer. I never really 'got' the whole Pilot AND an Officer thing before OCS, but now I do. I'm sure I'll be hating some times in Divo-land in the future, but I will get the opportunity to lead sailors and work with people who are as passionate about their job as I am with mine. Also, while part of your time flying will be doing just that... flying, remember that whatever you have the privilege of flying, it will invariably either have bombs, missiles, or some other sort of ordinance strapped to it, and that means that you have made the decision to defend and protect the Constitution... making the "flying" that much sweeter.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My first few years in college I would rig a hockey helmet with a makeshift mask or mic and sit in front of the TV with Top Gun on and a computer joystick. Wait, I mean I did that when I was 5 or 6...

That, my friend, is called "chair flying," nothing to be ashamed of...

Status
Not open for further replies.