• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Architect applying for the CEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin_e

Has anyone been through the CEC Officer Interview? I'm curious if it would be a good idea to bring along a portfolio of my architecture work. Would they even look at it?

WFU2USN

gin_e,

I have no idea if you'll actually need it, but I think taking it would be a good idea. You can ask if they would like to see it, and if they say, "No." it's not a big deal.

Good luck!

Robin

Jim

i went through the CEC officer interview last spring and wasn't accepted into the program, however i was selected for pilot. the officer that interviewed me was very friendly and one thing i particularly remember is her asking me what credentials i had that would make me stand out from all the other applicants. in your case, you would be able to show your portfolio or at least a drawing or two. you never know, something just might leave an impression on the interviewer. So, in my opinion, definitely take it. Best of luck with your interview.

-jim

gin_e

I just found the CEC Intern Architect webpage, and I was shocked to see that there are only 6 Female Intern-Architects in the program (out of about 50 total) and NONE of them have an Architecture License! So technically the Navy has no female Architects; that is pretty sad!

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers4413/IADP/iadp.htm

g

WFU2USN

gin_e,

The Navy pulls CEC officers from all sorts of degrees - Architecture, Engineering (all types), Construction Mgmt., and even Interior Design (I had a LT on active duty that did that). As far as women, there are not a whole lot of them in the CEC, which is a very small community to begin with.

I was a Seabee for 7 years (active and reserve) and there were very few female CEC officers. At any given time in my Seabee Battalion there was maybe 2, no more than 3, CEC females. If you have any questions, let me know - I know only a small portion of CEC O's go to the Seabees, but I know a bit about various stuff related to it.

:)Robin

tali264

Originally posted by gin_e
I just found the CEC Intern Architect webpage, and I was shocked to see that there are only 6 Female Intern-Architects in the program (out of about 50 total) and NONE of them have an Architecture License! So technically the Navy has no female Architects; that is pretty sad!

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers4413/IADP/iadp.htm

g

I've seen you ask many questions about how females get treated differently than males. Let's not get into the man versus woman thing, but the military is mainly male, that's how it is. Just because there are no female architects doesn't meant the Navy doesn't want any or is prejudice. You should want NO special treatment for being female, whether that be for getting cramps, being weaker, etc. Focus on ability, not gender. Good luck getting into CEC.

Beth

gin_e

Beth, you are right, I am very interested in how females are treated differently in the military. This is mostly because my mother was in the Navy from the early seventies to the early nineties and for her there were some big differences. I just want to know what it is like now, and as expected it has changed drastically. I do not expect or desire any different treatment for being female. But the military is notorious for treating women differently than men, in the past.

As far as the comment on female architects, that is a reflection on the whole country not just the military, there aren't that many registered female architects to begin with. But it is still suprising the the Navy doesn't even have one!

g

jaznups

Hey

How's your CEC package going? How did the interview go? Just wondering...
Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

gin_e

well, my interview went great, it was more like a friendly discussion. my application is in and apparently i've been professionally recommeded by the CEC! there are a few more approvals it has to get, but it sounds highly likely that i may be going to ocs as soon as June 28th!

btw, there are indeed several registered female architects in the cec, the website i was looking at before was out of date.

thanks for asking! g

jaznups

Cheers!

Glad to hear that your package was a success...Jun28th seems so early or near!!
Good Luck

Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.