• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

APRIL SWO BOARD LESSONS LEARNED

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Lessons Learned: SWO Professional Recommendation Board 11-15 APR 2016

BOARD NUGGETS

1) Order of designation choices held weight.

2) Letters of recommendation (LOR) – something from an employer or someone in a leadership role fairs better over something from college peers.

3) Personal statements – some statements only read to a desire to be an officer, some read to other designations, but only a handful actually mentioned SWO.

4) Leadership experience is desired. Whether at place of employment, during college/high school, or extracurricular activities (sports, political societies, Greek societies, etc.), leadership experience matters.

5) Written skills – a few spelling and grammatical errors in personal statements. Simply using the technology available does not show the thoroughness sought in officers. Attention to detail matters.

6) If an applicant previously dropped from OCS, do not try to hide it. Provide the reason instead of letting board members assume adverse circumstances.

7) Honesty of using the Navy as a stepping stone for plans after commitment is satisfied. When the competition is healthy, a candidate would do well with stating their long-term desire to serve in the Navy as opposed to writing about their plans after the Navy.

8) Fleet sailors – commands should realize their sailor wishes to apply for a commissioning program and evaluations should recommend them for at least one of the options. If the sailor does not break out in the peer group or is below SGA, then how will he or she be competitive on the board? They will not.

BOARD STATS

AVG GPA AVG OAR Select Rate

219 total records reviewed for the board 3.30 52.10 NA

86 were professionally recommended 3.31 52.36 39.3%

133 were not professionally recommended 3.26 51.88 NA

NOTE: as you can see by the averages of those selected, the SWO board did not jump on those with necessarily the best score or best GPA. There was an effort to look at the whole person of the applicant.

exNavyOffRec

These are all things back in OR school years ago we were told that SWO looked for, not too surprised it is still the same.

Back then they did say the GPA would stick out, but at the time the min was 2.0 and now it is 2.8 so that limits the lower GPA's.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
These are all things back in OR school years ago we were told that SWO looked for, not too surprised it is still the same.

Back then they did say the GPA would stick out, but at the time the min was 2.0 and now it is 2.8 so that limits the lower GPA's.

Item 3 sounds counterintuitive. I always tell applicants to make the motivational statement about becoming an officer, not just a certain designator. That might be just me. Ill open the discussion debate to @Chop07

exNavyOffRec

Item 3 sounds counterintuitive. I always tell applicants to make the motivational statement about becoming an officer, not just a certain designator. That might be just me. Ill open the discussion debate to @Chop07

I would say if you are applying to one speak to that, but if apply to several they should talk about being an officer.

goldmanharry91

Interesting observations @RUFiO181.

In terms of the statement, I believed that would be a dealbreaker (if it gets read). Criticisms from my friends and family were that it needs to be specific, so I decided to apply only to SWO and address my statement directly as opposed to making it just about being an officer.

What interests me though from this board, based off of my observations, was that many selects (from the forum) had scores and GPA's that were closer to the averages. As was stated though, we on the forum are missing large swaths of information about candidates at large.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
I advise applicants to make their motivational statements personal and WHY they want to serve, lead and be a Naval Officer. With that, I tell them to keep their audience in mind and sometimes it's actual Suppos down the street at PERS or the IWC commanders...or a smattering of whomever at the aviation board. I always recommend wrapping up the statement mentioning what they are applying to so it comes across as intentional. 3-5 paragraphs is also what I normally recommend.