• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 6th 2014 OCS Class date

I will be driving. My recruiter said that I would be do glad I did on ex they give us liberty to use it.
I'll be driving also. I counted the weeks that we will be there and if we are slated to graduate on 27Jun then that will only be 11 weeks and 5 day. I'm assuming because the following Friday is July 4th that we are being pushed up? I could be wrong. The dates were listed in my FLTMPS.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
I'll be driving also. I counted the weeks that we will be there and if we are slated to graduate on 27Jun then that will only be 11 weeks and 5 day. I'm assuming because the following Friday is July 4th that we are being pushed up? I could be wrong. The dates were listed in my FLTMPS.

That's a good question. Idk. Hopefully someone will answer. If not, I'm sure we will find out once we get there

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I thought this was nice video to share about OCS experience. At the end of the video they show all candidates with their nicknames. I wonder who gives them those names. Its really cool and the class picture with the Gunnery Drill Sergeant is really dope!
Fair warning: when you get there, DO NOT call them drill sergeants. Drill sergeants are usually associated with the Army, and drill instructors with the Marines. So either drill instructors (DI's), or their title (Gunnery Sergeant), but usually both if you're addressing them directly ("Class Drill Instructor, Gunnery Sergeant XXXXX, USMC").

Nicknames usually either come from class team, or candidates will give each other nicknames. Some are a play on their names (like in that video, Tom "Top Gun" Cruz), some because they look like someone famous ("Lex Luthor"), and some because they suck at drill in some way (I'm assuming "Correct Yourself," "Sabotage," and "Extend" fall into that category).

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
Fair warning: when you get there, DO NOT call them drill sergeants. Drill sergeants are usually associated with the Army, and drill instructors with the Marines. So either drill instructors (DI's), or their title (Gunnery Sergeant), but usually both if you're addressing them directly ("Class Drill Instructor, Gunnery Sergeant XXXXX, USMC").

Nicknames usually either come from class team, or candidates will give each other nicknames. Some are a play on their names (like in that video, Tom "Top Gun" Cruz), some because they look like someone famous ("Lex Luthor"), and some because they suck at drill in some way (I'm assuming "Correct Yourself," "Sabotage," and "Extend" fall into that category).

Thank you for telling me about the drill instructors. I appreciate that very much! I probably would have called them that, smh!

That's cool that the class team gives nicknames. That reminds me of fraternities/sororities where the names signify the bonds they made with their line brothers/sisters.

OCShopefulET

PRO-R 1820(IP): 30AUG; FS : 08OCT; OCS: 06APR14
How are you guys planning on getting to Newport?
I am also driving; making a road trip out of it. Making stops along the east coast visiting family and friends. I have an aunt that lives 20 mins from Newport so i want to be able to get out when they give us liberty.

Last edited:

OCShopefulET

That's awesome. What were your stats (OAR, GPA, etc.)? Just trying to gauge my placement.
OAR: 51, GPA: 3.2 Lib arts, ET1(SW) 14+ yrs AD, Served at White House Comms 6yrs. 3 LORs: Ret 0-6, 0-4, 0-5. Interview Almost all 10's. Evals: 1 - P, and 4 - EPs. 1 JCOM, 1 JSAM, 1 FLOC.

Are you in Okinawa now? One of the JOs from my ship was just stationed there in September.

We are slated to grad June 27th, i have hard copy orders that confirm this date.
As did I...That's great that you have family nearby. I'm just glad that we won't be there during the winter months. I'm from FL. Lol. Hoping a few of my other IW select buddies get picked up for this class.

I am also driving; making a road trip out of it. Making stops along the east coast visiting family and friends. I have an aunt that lives 20 mins from Newport so i want to be able to get out when they give us liberty.
When are you driving up? Where are you coming from again?

OCShopefulET

When are you driving up? Where are you coming from again?
Im driving from Jacksonville, FL. Starting my trip around the 18th of March. I plan on spending at least 4 days in the area before we start on the 6th. What part of FL you coming from?