• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2010 Boards

tuke09

Just a quick question, what does it mean to be tabled for a board? My recruiter told me that I was tabled for SWO, but I have no idea what this means.

It either means what mjulian posted above or that the board was compelled to give your kit more consideration before deciding your fate, for whatever reason, at the next month's board.

navygraig

LT Withrow
tabled= you will not be seen this month for that community. if im not mistaken of coarse, it means that you are placed in the running for the subsequent month. they do that for late applicants, overflow, errors, missing material etc

I was one of the 15 that were tabled. My OR said he has never seen that done before and that they did look at our apps but tabled us for some reason. Better than being non-selected like 74% of the apps were! Thinking positive thoughts on this board... The decisions are made, now we wait... er... Keep.. waiting... Feel like I'm waiting for a bus to pick me up!

JONNY

Does anyone actually know how the boards work? Is there just a bunch of Navy higher-ups that sit around a table and look through each app?

tuke09

Does anyone actually know how the boards work? Is there just a bunch of Navy higher-ups that sit around a table and look through each app?

Pretty much how I imagine it going down. I'm not too worried about the details, once you send in your Kit everything is out of your hands regardless of how they go about it.

JONNY

I've been looking through the selects and non-selects in the January and March boards and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to whom they choose. Some of the choices make no sense. I'm beginning to think that mjulian is right about the selection process. Great episode BTW...

tuke09

From the outside looking in there isn't. Only a small portion of the applicants for any given board post their stats online in any forum, so we only have a small portion of the overall picture. But there is a competitive profile if you look at the averages produced by the board results. We often mistake anomalies like getting a pro' rec' with an 39 OAR or a 2.3 GPA as an indicator that there is no rhyme or reason, but these are by far exceptions and not the norm. There are always outliers in just about any statistical data. Also it hard to quantify things like motivational statements and extra curricular activities/community service which help to shape the perception that there is no rhyme or reason.

tuke09

Ok, so the unders have one day left to win the wager. Anyone down for double or nothing that results are out exactly on the 22nd? :icon_smil

I just went to talk to an enlisted recruiter about a possible contingency plan if I get a non-select, taking the ASVAB next friday. There were two others already in the office for similar reasons, one Berkeley grad, and one Stanford grad. Not sure what exactly the Berkeley guy wanted out of the enlisted side, but the Standford guy was trying to get into Special Warfare.
Also, I couldn't believe they wanted me to get three letters of rec to enlist in the Navy, we are going to have the smartest navy in the world in this economy.

JONNY

Wow, that is really saying something about the economy. As an Aerospace engineering grad from Michigan I thought I was going to have multiple offers from Boeing, Lockheed, etc., but this economy is forcing my hand. I never considered the military until no one was hiring at the career fair, but it turns out I'm really pumped to join if I get selected...

tuke09

Yeah, I was, well actually still am, on track for law school but I thought I would look into the Naval Officer programs since so many lawyers are struggling for work and because I always toyed with the idea of becoming a sailor. Now I am committed to joining the Navy even if it means going enlisted, there are actually a lot of killer ratings. Law School will always be an option for me later on, but since I am turning 30 in a couple weeks the Navy might not be an option for me in the future so I'd rather do it sooner than later.

Wow, that is really saying something about the economy. As an Aerospace engineering grad from Michigan I thought I was going to have multiple offers from Boeing, Lockheed, etc., but this economy is forcing my hand. I never considered the military until no one was hiring at the career fair, but it turns out I'm really pumped to join if I get selected...
I'm in the same boat. AE grad and two years with no offers [GPA might have something to do with it :icon_tong]. I do have a standing offer with the NSA, so I sort of had an immediate backup plan had I not been selected.

KTString

I forgot to post my stats and figured I'd do so before the results are out. I applied to the April board for SNA/SNFO.

Education
Degree: B.B.A. Finance, 1/2 of MBA completed
College: Boise State University
GPA: 3.44 undergraduate - 3.1 graduate

Military Service
Prior Service: No

Application Info
OAR: 62 7/7/6

LORs: my uncle who's a retired 0-8 in the Air Force, head football coach of Boise State University & head football coach of University of Colorado

Extras
-starting punter for Boise State University football team for 4 years (2003-2006 seasons)
-preseason all-america team
-team captain of Boise State football team
-punted for the Seattle Seahawks
-obtained undergraduate degree in 7 semesters
-former associate equity portfolio manager for an investment advising company
-assistant coach for a local club soccer team
-volunteer with Make-A-Wish and local high school football team
-i like to hunt, fish, shoot guns, workout and go to church (baptist)

JONNY

Thanks for the update. I will probably call Friday to check, unless someone posts earlier saying they got results Thursday.