• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appropriate Gift For OSO

1) What is an appropriate gift for your OSO to thank him for all the hard work hes put into getting you into OCS and commissioned?

2) If you get your OSO something should you also get the SSGT who did a lot as well a gift?

Anyput on navy or marine side would be great...

CP44

Little different situation but when our Gunny left for Japan we all chipped in and got him and inscribed k-bar, it said thanks from all the NJ candidates. It was expensive but maybe you guys can do a group thing too.

Crowbar

None
Ask the OSO to commission you. Ask the SSgt to read your commission or be your first salute. (If any of those are possible.)
I don't think they expect gifts. Sure they do a lot of paperwork but that's the job. Same for the assistant. I think you as the applicant do more work making yourself competitive so you can get accepted.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gift is probably too much and if more than about $5 or so could violate DOD rules.

When you get where you're going, drop them a nice note to say thanks, you made it.

They get paid to help you join up, it would be pretentious of them to expect anything in return.

r/
G

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
Gift is probably too much and if more than about $5 or so could violate DOD rules.

When you get where you're going, drop them a nice note to say thanks, you made it.

They get paid to help you join up, it would be pretentious of them to expect anything in return.

r/
G
Concur. My gut reaction is you will make the OSO uncomfortable if you get him a gift. Additionally, it make be unethical for him to accept such things. He's there to do a job which is to find competitive prospective officers. It's not personal, it's business. Getting you in is not personal for him, nor is denying you. He is charged with the duty to find the most qualified individuals based on current manpower requirements. A nice note, not of a personal nature, would fit the bill just fine. I'm sure it makes their day when they know they helped someone out.

kimphil

That's crap. Marines love stuff. Don't get your OSO a K-Bar. He/she probably already has one (or five). When you go to OCS and graduate, get an extra platoon t-shirt, go visit your OSO afterwards and present him/her with your platoon's shirt (an unworn one, duh). It's an inexpensive gift, won't make anyone uncomfortable, and every platoon shirt has a story (that you get to tell). If you don't graduate (ie DOR) than you probably don't need to gift your OSO.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kimphil said:
That's crap. Marines love stuff. Don't get your OSO a K-Bar. He/she probably already has one (or five). When you go to OCS and graduate, get an extra platoon t-shirt, go visit your OSO afterwards and present him/her with your platoon's shirt (an unworn one, duh). It's an inexpensive gift, won't make anyone uncomfortable, and every platoon shirt has a story (that you get to tell). If you don't graduate (ie DOR) than you probably don't need to gift your OSO.
Actually, that wouldn't be a bad gift at all. Of course, he probably won't remember where he got the shirt (or care for that matter) when his wife is wearing it a few months later, making him pancakes on Sat morning wearing....well, only the platoon shirt :D .

kimphil

Of course he/she will remember... it will have your class number on it, and maybe the name of all the members of your platoon... if you're lucky, your OSO may even be able pick your name out a year later (but I doubt it). If the shirt is OD green, your OSO will at least have an extra shirt to wear under a cammie blouse.

And yes, his wife could wear it around house with nothing else on (or interest of fairness, HER husband could wear it around the house with nothing else on :yuck_125: )

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
kimphil said:
That's crap. .......When you go to OCS and graduate, get an extra platoon t-shirt, go visit your OSO afterwards and present him/her with your platoon's shirt
Yeah, right .... and in a year or so .... the OSO will have 20 or 30 T-shirts. Just what he/she wants --- right??? Better than 5 K-Bars, I'm sure. But then, he could sell the K-Bars, I guess.

What's the matter with you people? The OSO is doing their job by getting you signed up. They're not doing it because they "like" you. :) ... this is the military, not the ladies afternoon tea party. And they won't "remember" you past next month ..... Schnuggapup gave the correct advice ....

kimphil

When I returned to see my OSO after OCS the FIRST thing he wanted from me was to see my platoon's shirt. In retrospect, I wished I had got him his own shirt.

Also, my OSO (and I suspect most other OSOs) liked his job. OSOs volunteer for their billet; its not some crappy job someone had to twist their arm to do (like army recruiting). And an OSO can shoot down your chances of becoming an officer if they don't like you. Getting a single candidate into OCS is a lot of work for an OSO. And an OSO is going to bat for you (sometimes over other prospective candidates, depending on how competitive your district is) so I don't think its outrageous to get your OSO a small gift of appreciation for doing his/her job.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A4sForever said:
Yeah, right .... and in a year or so .... the OSO will have 20 or 30 T-shirts. Just what he/she wants --- right??? Better than 5 K-Bars, I'm sure. But then, he could sell the K-Bars, I guess.

What's the matter with you people? The OSO is doing their job by getting you signed up. They're not doing it because they "like" you. :) ... this is the military, not the ladies afternoon tea party. And they won't "remember" you past next month ..... Schnuggapup gave the correct advice ....

As usual, the wise ol' sage speaks true. But there IS something useful you can do w/ a metric fvckton of t-shirts: There's a company that will make you a quilt out of them. My last boss when I was enlisted had one made from 5-10k/marathon races. Just send them a check and your t-shirts, and *poof!* a brand new blanky. They used to advertise in the back of Runner's World, but I bet pretty much any tailor/kimchi shop right off base would do it.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

It's just a nice, relatively inexpensive gesture....that's it! Good lord.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
....that's it! Good lord.
Good Lord ??? GOOD LORD !!! Why, Yes !!! Hallelujah !!! 'AMEN, Brother !!! That's it !!! That's IT !!!

20-30 T-shirts .... the more, the merrier !!! Hallelujah !!! ..... and if he EVER runs out of toilet paper .... he's still got those 20-30 T-shirts !!! (wouldn't want to use the K-Bars, though .... ouch) ALOHA :)

yeah

Yeah I concur Schnuggapup I won't get him anything.. but your OSO really can shoot you down or get you in .. and it is somewhat personal... I've hung around the office and seen kids come in and do a PT after their first interview and him just be like yeah your services could be better used elsewhere...

Ps nobody likes a t-shirt.. thats right along the line of getting socks as a gift..